Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Asus ROG 5870 platinum with 3 monitors connected and I'm running WoW across all three in 6000x1080 on close-to-ultra settings.

Every once in a while my screen will freeze and flash black for a second and then come back. The odd thing is that Ventrillo will lag during that time but my itunes will still be running uninterrupted.

I know this is a lot of stuff going on but shouldn't my 5870 paired with an i5-650 OC'd to 4.1GHz be able to tear through this game?

Any feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by antwanman12 View Post
I have an Asus ROG 5870 platinum with 3 monitors connected and I'm running WoW across all three in 6000x1080 on close-to-ultra settings.

Every once in a while my screen will freeze and flash black for a second and then come back. The odd thing is that Ventrillo will lag during that time but my itunes will still be running uninterrupted.

I know this is a lot of stuff going on but shouldn't my 5870 paired with an i5-650 OC'd to 4.1GHz be able to tear through this game?

did you check the task manager while having this problem ? mind posting a pic ?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:

Why don't you just use GPU-Z to check the temp?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If the fan is on auto, it shouldn't over heat anyway. Unless you've changed the settings or stock cooling, i'd look elsewhere for the problem first.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weidass View Post
If the fan is on auto, it shouldn't over heat anyway. Unless you've changed the settings or stock cooling, i'd look elsewhere for the problem first.
His heatsink might be clogged... GPU-Z for temp testing is a fast way to eliminate the possibility that it's overheating.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by B!0HaZard View Post
His heatsink might be clogged...
Tru dat... totally slipped my mind xD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you really think thats it? I mean, its only about 2 months old. If you still believe thats the problem, whats the best way to clean it out? More air?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Quote:

do you really think thats it? I mean, its only about 2 months old. If you still believe thats the problem, whats the best way to clean it out? More air?
I have no idea if it is, but if it's only 2 months old, then it's doubtful.

I would recommend that you get GPU-Z (http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/) and use that to check your temps. Make sure to make it refresh in the background and then play some WoW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so I did some tests and I had GPU-Z and checked my temps and while the problem was happening the temps never went above 70 degrees C (still a little hot but I'll deal with it).

I also did some stress tests on my CPU and with 20 mins on prime 95 the temps never went above 55 so I think I'm good there as well.

I deleted the drivers for the card and reinstalled the latest ones off the ATi website.

I tested the problem in WoW as well as CoD4 and the "3D" section of the CCC and it happens there too.

So what I have surmised is that my card is having problems rendering and/or sustaining 3D for some reason. I tested with Photoshop CS4 with some rendering effects and no such problem.

I hope this isn't a hardware problem with my card and that it's something that can be fixed with some software changes but it's not looking too good.

Any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts