Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i have been getting the amdkmdap error on my 5870 for around 8 months now but for some reason it has just became so much worse... the only way that i can actually play the game is if i underclock the card. so i am going to return it and get a replacement. Now i cannot decide if i should just keep the replacement or buy a Zotac 480gtx AMP Edition and sell the replacement 5870. now i dont care about the money so please dont say that its not worth all of the extra money, i am just worried about;

similar crashes (amdkmdap and stuff like that)
compatability
3d performance
overclockability

Now has anyone experienced crashed similar to the amdkmdap error with a 480? and is there a simple fix for it if there is one?
Is the card compatible with this rig:
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 OC 3.7ghz
RAM: 4gb DDR3 Ripjaw
Case: HAF 922 (with 2x ethermax apolish 120mm side fans)
Cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme
Power Supply: Corsair TX850W
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair III Formula 790FX
Sound Card: SupremeFX X-FI

will it be ok with my motherboard and will it fit in the case and is the PSU enough?

How is Nvidia 3d? i am just about to go read some review on it but i would like to know if it is any better/worse with the 480, i will be buying the Acer GD245HQ monitor is that a good choice with this card?

and finally, what kind of performance boost am i going to see over the 5870 when i OC the 480?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Just so you know, nvidia users also get a similar message that says "Display drivers have failed but have restarted". Just so you know.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
Just so you know, nvidia users also get a similar message that says "Display drivers have failed but have restarted".
but do they get it within 10 seconds of starting any 3d game every single time they start the game? does the nvidia error require a 30 second lockup only to find the game is now a white unplayable screen? then having to alt and tab out and close manually only to try again and find that it happens over and over?
i just want to know if its as bad as the ati one.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,363 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xotic
View Post

but do they get it within 10 seconds of starting any 3d game every single time they start the game? does the nvidia error require a 30 second lockup only to find the game is now a white unplayable screen? then having to alt and tab out and close manually only to try again and find that it happens over and over?
i just want to know if its as bad as the ati one.

Your 2D clocks are probably messing with your 3d clocks, all you probably have to do is change the 2D clocks.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Your 2D clocks are probably messing with your 3d clocks, all you probably have to do is change the 2D clocks.
lol i have had the problem for 8 months now and i have tried that abut 20 times now.. the fix for me is to underclock it but that means it is not performing as advertised so i have the right to send it back. this one is definately going back to them.
i am warming up to the idea of the Zotac 480gtx AMP + Acer GD245HQ + Nvidia 3D thingy.
it looks like it would be fun on bfbc2 but i am still going to have to try before i buy.
My main concern is the compatability of my mobo and cpu.

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci
View Post

Just so you know, nvidia users also get a similar message that says "Display drivers have failed but have restarted". Just so you know.

for one ive never gotten that message so yeah.

·
PC Evangelist
47,392 Posts
I think those high Volts might have done something to the card.

·
sudo apt install sl
8,363 Posts
Wow 8 months?? You should of sent it back as soon as you tried to change the 2D clocks. Also 3D vision sounds sweet with that monitor.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post
I think those high Volts might have done something to the card.
thats a typo i havent put it that high i think i meant to put 1199v

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post
Wow 8 months?? You should of sent it back as soon as you tried to change the 2D clocks. Also 3D vision sounds sweet with that monitor.
im persistant.... and also that big 1 month return time kinda put me off... so i was just crossing my fingers for driver that would fix it...
lol 70% of the reason i want that monitor is the awesome stand

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I am pretty sure the 480 is actually a tiny bit shorter than the 5870 you shouldn't have fit issues. As to speed, it's like 10-20% faster but that is vs a 5870 at stock clocks. Yours is only overclocked by 50mhz though. I personally doubt it would be a significant speed boost, but it should be faster...

One of my 5770s used to always have the driver stop responding and recovering in games, I got an RMA and it was fixed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by timAHH View Post
I am pretty sure the 480 is actually a tiny bit shorter than the 5870 you shouldn't have fit issues. As to speed, it's like 10-20% faster but that is vs a 5870 at stock clocks. Yours is only overclocked by 50mhz though. I personally doubt it would be a significant speed boost, but it should be faster...

One of my 5770s used to always have the driver stop responding and recovering in games, I got an RMA and it was fixed.
i really need to fix my sig

i only had it overclocked on the day that i made the sig.. then i underclocked it because of problems and never changed it
at the moment it is 845/1195 @stock volts

EDIT: oops double post forgot to edit sorry... Forgive me?

·
sudo apt install sl
8,363 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RPaulG87 View Post
I went from a 5870 to a 480 and haven't looked back, better in every way but heat.

Get a High Flow Bracket! It lowers temps by 1-5 degrees!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts