Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i've set up a stable manual OC for my 5900x on Dark Hero / at 4.6ghz for 1.225; no pbo, curve or whatever for now i don't feel like it gives me a huge boost in games and i'd rather have my cpu cool and silent but i need more time to do proper testings.
However I was curious about LLC setting and Digi+ in general. I've set it at LL3, should I keep it that way or go for Auto?
Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since you're not using pbo/curve optimizer, I think level 3 is more than adequate for your static OC if you don't have any stability issues.
That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if LL2 is possible with that specific motherboard and it's insane power delivery, just a matter of validating the reported temps/voltage/benchmark scores and of course stability going from LL3 to LL2 (or auto if you feel frisky).

·
Overclocker
4,382 Posts
Why not use Dynamic Overclock Switcher. That way you don't lose out on lightly threaded applications/games.

·
Robotic Chemist
3,901 Posts
LLC3 seems high for a fixed 4.6 GHz OC to me. I use 2 for my PBO+curve optimizer OC (also on a Dark Hero).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried pbo and all that but haven't seen a lot more or performance and only higher temps. I need to tune it better i suppose

Would auto be ok as well?
LLC3 seems high for a fixed 4.6 GHz OC to me. I use 2 for my PBO+curve optimizer OC (also on a Dark Hero).

I've tried pbo and all that but haven't seen a lot more or performance and only higher temps. I need to tune it better i suppose

For using pbo +switch here's what I've tried

Docp
Per ccx 47 /46
Switch amp 45
Core vid 1.3
Core auto
Voltage global auto
LLC 3
CPU current capability 140

Advanced overclock menu
Pbo curve : - 30 all cores (maybe too conservative, thus bad results?)

Limits : motherboard

If someone with same board and cpu could give me pointers for the best settings I'll appreciate!

·
Robotic Chemist
3,901 Posts
I am using the 5950X instead of the 5900X, but I think it should be very similar.

Yes, auto should be fine. Auto seems to use LLC 1 in my testing.

Per ccx 47 /46
Switch amp 45
Core vid 1.3
Core auto
Voltage global auto
LLC 3
CPU current capability 140

Advanced overclock menu
Pbo curve : - 30 all cores (maybe too conservative, thus bad results?)

Limits : motherboard
That isn't PBO. You have to leave the per CCX menu on all auto. Also leave the CPU voltage on auto, or use a small negative offset (that will limit the highest speed single cores can hit by 25-50 MHz).

PBO is moving up and down a voltage/frequency curve based on temperature and load, so you cannot set fixed multipliers or voltages anywhere. Do most of the work in the Advanced -> AMD Overclocking menu. Multicore should be close to your fixed OC but single core should be 200 MHz or more faster. PBO usually trades multicore performance for single core performance, so I would only bother if that sounds good to you. For example, I see 4600 MHz steady state on all cores when running Cinebench r23 multicore, and when cold. It can go down to 4550 MHz when hotter.

-30 all core is not going to be stable, negative means faster. My cores range from -8 to -29 stable (with a -0.05V offset), but with a 5950X the fastest cores might need to be less negative (closer to the edge out of the box) so you might be able to use higher values on most of your cores. This number does not correlate with speed, the -29 core can run slower than the -8 one because we are tweaking the factory curve which had been customized for each core. (I think that is what is going on :unsure:)

CoreCycler is brilliant for figuring out a stable curve offset for each core. I found the defaults to work best for the first tune. Don't change LLC or voltage offsets after tuning unless you want to do it again (you will be close but it does change it).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
per ccx is for the dark hero switch, that has to be set for using it with pbo for what i've seen?

When i tried those settings, no crash or anything but FPS and cinebenches score were way lower than my manual oc actually

I'd love to have some help from someone using the same board with PBO curve+SWitch to be sure of what i'm doing :(

Looking at core cycler but not sure what results it's giving, does it gives you an estimate curve at the end of the run?

·
Robotic Chemist
3,901 Posts
per ccx is for the dark hero switch, that has to be set for using it with pbo for what i've seen?
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, but I am not sure what switch you are talking about?

Do you mean that switch to OC mode and back in the CCX menu? Because that isn't something I have tried to use. Leave everything in that menu on auto, you don't need any of it for PBO2, that is something else entirely and likely disables PBO.

Looking at core cycler but not sure what results it's giving, does it gives you an estimate curve at the end of the run?
No, it just tells you if a core errored so you know you need to turn the offset down (less negative) or it doesn't error, so maybe you could turn it up. Finding good settings can take a while if you want to adjust by +/- 1. Many people do +/- 5, which is a good idea to start at least.

I could use much larger negative offsets without common issues for desktop, gaming, etc. but I would get rare (about once a week) unexpected restarts. After passing CoreCycler I haven't had a single one.

I get great performance with PBO, I just ran 11772 for r20:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm talking about this :
which allows you to keep max boost clock and still use a high clock manuel all core overclock so for what i've understood it does not disable pbo no?

I'll try this so i leave all auto,
Voltage,
cpu
llc

And i just use the advanced pbo, set up my curve, test it and that's it?
What about PBO limits are you using motherboard,auto or did you set PPT, TDC, EDC?

Also, with those settings, what are your temps in game, idle and with which cooler?

With my actual settings, 4.6 for 1.225, i have around 9k score on cinebench (5900x) i guess that's already quite good no?

Thanks !

·
Robotic Chemist
3,901 Posts
which allows you to keep max boost clock and still use a high clock manuel all core overclock so for what i've understood it does not disable pbo no?
Ah, cool, that makes sense now. I might try to see if I can get that to work for slightly lower voltages.

I'll try this so i leave all auto,
Voltage,
cpu
llc

And i just use the advanced pbo, set up my curve, test it and that's it?
Yep, that is it. Maybe bump llc to 2 but I am not sure that is truly helpful, the droop was a bit higher than I liked at auto/1. I haven't done much experimenting with LLC auto so maybe it isn't just LLC1 all the time. :unsure:

What about PBO limits are you using motherboard,auto or did you set PPT, TDC, EDC?
I used manual starting from the motherboard's (PPT=395, TDC=255, EDC=200) but with EDC at 180 instead of 200, which seems to help. I am not sure about that but others have been reporting that a lower EDC can help, and my benchmarks went up too. 🤷‍♂️

Also, with those settings, what are your temps in game, idle and with which cooler?
Which game? :p

I do have fairly ideal cooling, which does help for PBO. I have lapped the IHS (avatar image) for a flat bottom water block with 8x140 worth of radiators and an open bench case. I am not using liquid metal though. Temps during r20 single core were 47-53°C on CCD1 and during multicore CCD1 was about 82°C.

With my actual settings, 4.6 for 1.225, i have around 9k score on cinebench (5900x) i guess that's already quite good no?
Yeah, that is great. PBO isn't going to help you much for most workloads. A nice low voltage too, PBO would run higher voltages under any loads.

:)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try some stuff but i guess if i keep it that way it's still quite good :)

·
Robotic Chemist
3,901 Posts
I will try some stuff but i guess if i keep it that way it's still quite good :)
Haha, yeah. Sorry, I didn't mean to sidetrack the post.

My point was that PBO probably takes more power and I didn't need LLC 3, not that PBO would be better. ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you think there will be a huge gap of performance between PBO and manual for gaming and app

·
Robotic Chemist
3,901 Posts
Not really, maybe +150 MHz for fairly low CPU games at best. It would be slightly worse sometimes too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm gaming at 3840x1600 / rtx 3090 so i guess we're talking about 10% fps max in most cpu bounded games?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi,
i've set up a stable manual OC for my 5900x on Dark Hero / at 4.6ghz for 1.225; no pbo, curve or whatever for now i don't feel like it gives me a huge boost in games and i'd rather have my cpu cool and silent but i need more time to do proper testings.
However I was curious about LLC setting and Digi+ in general. I've set it at LL3, should I keep it that way or go for Auto?
Thanks
i have found i like manual tuning for my cpu's my 3600 runs 4.2 3600 cl 14 14 14. but my TR 3970x i run 4.25 all core daily and this works very well but i also use ryzen master if i want a bit more core clock and i just bump it up to 4.4 all core i know that sounds high but acutally it still runs cooler than stock operation lol. But this allows me to play around with what cpu speed i like best with out rebooting. most of the time 4.25 is all i use. it just run so cool and silent there. And the performance is better at 4.4 but not by much.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i've ran different tests.
Curve
Manual @ 4.6
CTR

And actually the curve + pbo get better results but close to 4.6 all [email protected] 1.225 which remains good with low temps..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man why have dark hero without using DOS+PBO+CO, I below my personal best record of around 9000 to 9400 on CB20 using all. It takes a long time to dial in, still playing, but you get the best of both. I literally bought the board for that feature alone.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man why have dark hero without using DOS+PBO+CO, I below my personal best record of around 9000 to 9400 on CB20 using all. It takes a long time to dial in, still playing, but you get the best of both. I literally bought the board for that feature alone. View attachment 2518299
I am using PBO+CO now,

Here are my settings

Per CCX :
47/46
Vid : 1.31

Digi + settings
CPU capabilily : 120%
LLC : Auto

PBO settings :
ppt : 185
edc 170
tdc 125

Curve : -30 and -15 on the 4 best cores

My scores are :
R20 multi : 9191
R20 single : 683

Cpu z multi : 10150
Cpuz single : 683

Geek bench multi : 15400
Geek bench single : 1741

I haven't modified anything else

What are your settings and what it the benchmate screen you're showing?

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you're staying with manual overclock, higher LLC lets you keep the voltage down.

If you watch your load voltage droop under AVX load, that's the actual voltage your chip is stable at. At default I needed 1.12v to keep 1.02v under 100% AVX load, but at LLC4 I only need to it set to 1.05v to hit 1.02v under full load. That translates to lower temps and less power under normal usage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts