Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after replacing my last 5960x through intel warranty after frying it just trying to get above 4.2ghz and moving everything to a new case and mobo, I finally decided to overclock it and was surprised to get these results.

If my research from a year ago is right I must have hit the silicone lottery jackpot especially since the processor is only being cooled by a NH-D15 with kryonaut tim in a Silverstone FT04 case these results should be near impossible especially since with my last chip I was pushing 1.4v to hit 4.2ghz

The max temp recorded on this cpu is 75C... Thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
WOW that looks awesome man. I didn't know that Intel covers self damaged cpu in warranty. and i also heard intel selecting cpus for extreme editions. normally anyone should get this results?

btw can you put some benchmarks like cinenench and super pi?

·
Gamer and overclocker !
1,600 Posts
Not too bad
thumb.gif

My i7-5930K is stable at 4.7GHz at Vcore Bios=1,25V.
Also with NH-D15 and Kryonaut.
Max temp on hottest core at = 80°C at 22°c ambient in Aida64 stress test "CPU+FPU+Cache+Memory+GPU" (12 hours)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Nice chip.

I wouldn't say golden but very respectable.
thumb.gif

SS

·
Registered
63 Posts
Go for the third loop! I'm only had one 5960x, but able to go to 4.6 at 1.275 Vcore, and 4.2 on the cache. I had it on a NH-D15 for a while, but would hit 80-90's. I have it on a custom loop, with max temps in the low 60's now
thumb.gif

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine runs at 4.7 on 1.3V which is really cool, but it doesn't hold up under stress testing for long. I don't care because it does hold up under all of the software I use (Archicad and cinerender) and is completely stable.
Cinebench R15 sits around 1800.

I have 2 120 slim rads, it idles at 40 and max load temps at 75

Does anyone else have high idle temps by the way?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinchina View Post

Mine runs at 4.7 on 1.3V which is really cool, but it doesn't hold up under stress testing for long. I don't care because it does hold up under all of the software I use (Archicad and cinerender) and is completely stable.
Cinebench R15 sits around 1800.

I have 2 120 slim rads, it idles at 40 and max load temps at 75

Does anyone else have high idle temps by the way?
High idle temperatures usually mean you don't have your power saving settings setup correctly.

Make sure you have Intel Speedstep Technology, C-States (C6-C7 don't necessarily need to be enabled), Turbo boost enabled (This can be disabled if you want). Make sure you have your Windows Power plan set to balanced, it is set to balanced by default. You can check this via Control Panel > Power Options.

At minimum, you need balanced windows power plan, intel speedstep technology enabled, an adaptive, offset, etc CPU voltage that goes down to a lower voltage on idle, maybe also C1E C-state enabled. Mine goes very low to like 0.0012v.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

High idle temperatures usually mean you don't have your power saving settings setup correctly.

Make sure you have Intel Speedstep Technology, C-States (C6-C7 don't necessarily need to be enabled), Turbo boost enabled (This can be disabled if you want). Make sure you have your Windows Power plan set to balanced, it is set to balanced by default. You can check this via Control Panel > Power Options.

At minimum, you need balanced windows power plan, intel speedstep technology enabled, an adaptive, offset, etc CPU voltage that goes down to a lower voltage on idle, maybe also C1E C-state enabled. Mine goes very low to like 0.0012v.
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Have all those working.
I use the performance plan but set the volts to 5% min, is there another setting hiding somewhere?
My idle volts are around .85 which seems fine.

So I don't really care too much about higher idle temps I guess. It's still hot over here and winter will get it down to 30ish

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
There's not any more than that as you've said your idle volts go down normally. The higher idle temps depends on the ambient temperature in your computer case and/or room. Can't really do much about that I guess.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes you're right I forgot about that. I think it's the price to pay for squeezing an matx board and a fast cpu into an mitx case. board and package temps are exactly the same at 42 right now. cores are only 32 though.
I remember when I ran it in a big case, it was way lower. Package and core only showed a minor difference.

What's more puzzling is that I have a 12 core (2690) xeon in that case now and it idles at 50 and maxes out at 60.
Also gives me 1800 on cinebench but isn't as much fun as the i7.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts