Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Titles says it all. Buddy is getting a 5970 in a few days. I have 2 5870s already. We both have EVGA Classified boards. We are both cross overs from the gr33n machine and we wondering if this could work with the boards we have? Or if this is even possible at all? 1x5970 + 2x5870s to make quad fire
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts

according to this yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magix
View Post

quad = 4
tri = 3

you should be able to trifire all three cards but the catch is that the 5970 will run at the 5870's clocks.

but the 5870 has higher clocks than the 5970

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
yes you can..and no none of the cards will down clock in crossfire. The cards clocks will not be hampered or accelled in anyway..unless you do it via ccc or another utility

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:

View Post

quad = 4
tri = 3

you should be able to trifire all three cards but the catch is that the 5970 will run at the 5870's clocks.

No, it would be quadfire. Tri = 3 GPUs. There are three cards, but 4 GPUs in that setup. As for clocks... cards don't underclock in crossfire.

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
Quote:

View Post

quad = 4
tri = 3

You're right in saying that quad is 4 and tri is 3; however, a 5970 has internal CF. So it will, in fact, be quadfire.

And the 5870 has higher clocks than the 5970, so the 5870's will have to run at the 5970 speeds, unless he OC's the 5970 which is madness!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatliner
View Post

You're right in saying that quad is 4 and tri is 3; however, a 5970 has internal CF. So it will, in fact, be quadfire.

And the 5870 has higher clocks than the 5970, so the 5870's will have to run at the 5970 speeds, unless he OC's the 5970 which is madness!

Madness is what this question is all about!

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
also I would like to mention that your possible crossfire configurations are going to be 1,2 and 4...or 1, 3, and 4...or 2,3, and 4.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedCow
View Post

Yes, it's quad-fire. I used to use 4870x2 and 2 4870s for my quadfire. Works the same. But personally, I think tri-fire scale better than quad.

I am thinking this will beat out 2x5970s just because of the 2 5870s.. paper it should beat it out? yes no?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Theoretically, the 5970 should be faster than 2x5870 on same clock because the two chips are build on the same board and doesnt require a external bridge. But in reality...its the same crap lol. But in majority of the games that had been testing with tri-quad fire, tri-fire scales just so much better.

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pestypest
View Post

Madness is what this question is all about!

Bingo! Bottom line here is that yes it will work, and yes it will be quadfire. Next step, pop that baby into your board and bench!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
Bingo! Bottom line here is that yes it will work, and yes it will be quadfire. Next step, pop that baby into your board and bench!
Woot nice. So we are going try this weekend when he gets his card in the mail.. + rep to everyone here!

·
Banned
8,570 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pestypest View Post
5970 =1
5870 =3
5870=4
PPU where it can fit.

5970 = 2. You can not disable crossfire within windows vista/7 on this card. It will always be two gpus.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
Yes it will work, that's quadfire. I did this with a 4870x2 and 2x 4870. If u have stability issues you could just downclock the two 5870s.
Did you do much testing? I am curious if someone else has done this same thing with the cards that I am wanting to try this with. Want to see some comparisons between the both setups... hmm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts