Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
i have a cooler master GX750W and i already own a 5870. Today I'm going to buy a used xfx 5970 black edition for $320. I was just wondering will my PSU give enough juice to my system or do i need to buy a 1000W PSU?

PS. i have 3 HDD and my ram and CPU is OCed.
I don't have the new Bronze 80Plus PSU. i have the older one its just white 80Plus.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6643

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
No. You should get a 800w if you want to keep everything at stock and a good 950-1000w if you want to overclock EVERYTHING to the max.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy;15328267
Hello guys
i have a cooler master GX750W and i already own a 5870. Today I'm going to buy a used xfx 5970 black edition for $320. I was just wondering will my PSU give enough juice to my system or do i need to buy a 1000W PSU?

I don't have the new Bronze 80Plus PSU. i have the older one its just white 80Plus.
I don't know how to answer this, but I will say this:

I think it will either not be enough power, or it will be extremely close. Personally, I wouldn't attempt it. However, here are AMD's power supply recommendations for the 5970 and 5870 individually:

To power a system that has one 5870 in it, they recommend a PSU that has a peak rating of 500W. For two 5870s, they recommend a 600W peak-rated PSU.

For a single 5970, they recommend a PSU with a peak rating of 650W, and they recommend an 850W peak-rated PSU for two 5970s.

So from this, I think they would probably recommend a PSU with a peak rating of 750W to power a system that has one 5970 and one 5870. However, I don't know if whether or not the GX750 has enough because I've heard nothing but bad things about it here on OCN.

• Rep+
Reactions: Fantasy

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If it's Enhance made it SHOULD be alright with EVERYTHING AT STOCK. If it's Seventeam made don't even try it. Even then I wouldn't trust it very long TBH.

Edit: In order too tell Seventeam model # will be RS-750-ACAA-E3 and Enhance model # will be RS-750-ACAA-D3

·
Registered
400 Posts
When it ran my 6870 fan was loud, and max load with 6870 around 500w, its one crap PSU

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy;15328267
Hello guys

Get a 1000w PSU. No such thing as overkill for PSU.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649;15328356
Get a 1000w PSU. No such thing as overkill for PSU.
Actually there is like getting a 1.2kw PSU for say a AMD Llano basic rig... Horrible HORRIBLE efficiency would happen.

Anyway 1kw is not so overkill for his rig in fact it's only 50w over what he should get to overclock everything to the max.
laugher.gif

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbmjhk6;15328320
If it's Enhance made it SHOULD be alright with EVERYTHING AT STOCK. If it's Seventeam made don't even try it. Even then I wouldn't trust it very long TBH.

Edit: In order too tell Seventeam model # will be RS-750-ACAA-E3 and Enhance model # will be RS-750-ACAA-D3
well i have the RS-750-ACAA-E3
frown.gif

dam it i guess i'm going to have to spend another $250 on a 1000W PSU

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbmjhk6;15328370
Actually there is like getting a 1.2kw PSU for say a AMD Llano basic rig... Horrible HORRIBLE efficiency would happen.

Anyway 1kw is not so overkill for his rig in fact it's only 50w over what he should get to overclock everything to the max.
laugher.gif
I know, I have seen it here too often how people recommended PSU wattage without even knowing what is TDP or the basic. Anything we say with 1K, somebody is going to jump in and say "OVER KILL".

We should have a PSU benchmark here, see who got the biggest PSU lawl

Sorry OP a little bit OT.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy;15328384
frown.gif

MAKE SURE IT'S GOOD!!!!
tongue.gif
Maybe post the website you shop at and we can make suggestions.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,938 Posts
Quote:
frown.gif

I don't know, but I really doubt that you're going to need a 1000W unit for this. I think that you're going to need a quality 750W power supply to replace this very low-quality GX750.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;15328462
I don't know, but I really doubt that you're going to need a 1000W unit for this. I think that you're going to need a quality 750W power supply to replace this very low-quality GX750.
well i'm going to go today to buy the 5970 and try and see if my system works.
IF my PSU BLOWS UP
biggrin.gif
i'll get a new high end PSU.
but if i would want to afford to get a high end PSU, this will mean i would eat noodles for the next month
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
LOL

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy;15328487
IF my PSU BLOWS UP
biggrin.gif
but if i would want to afford to get a high end PSU, this will mean i would eat nodules for the next month
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
LOL
If it blows up it can take you're brand new 5970 with it TBH. It can take you're entire PC truthfully.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Quote:
frown.gif

Like TwoCables said you should look for a high quality 750w psu (800-850w is the highest I would suggest for that system)

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,938 Posts
Quote:
IF my PSU BLOWS UP
biggrin.gif
but if i would want to afford to get a high end PSU, this will mean i would eat noodles for the next month
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
LOL
The PSU could take out more than just its own life. It could kill either one thing in your system, or it could kill your entire system.

So if the PSU dies or blows up, then it will not be funny.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
IF my PSU BLOWS UP
biggrin.gif
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
LOL
Other than joke, don't do that. A PSU or aging PSU with bad OCP will take motherboard, HDDs, graphics adapter and if you are lucky, the CPU might get away. Don't cheap out on PSU.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649;15328520
Other than joke, don't do that. A PSU or aging PSU with bad OCP will take motherboard, HDDs, graphics adapter and if you are lucky, the CPU might get away. Don't cheap out on PSU.
Most single rail PSU's do not have OCP. This is why I prefer multi-rail PSU's for the added safety but single rail su's are fine if you don't plan on going over their wattage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts