Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to build a new PC which will mostly be used for web design and development and gaming and would love to get some advice.

I'm thinking of getting the i7 8700k with the ASUS ROG Strix z370-E motherboard and 16GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz ram.

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are on this. Can I get more performance by maybe spending a bit more and getting a CPU with more cores or maybe just a different combination altogether? Is the 3600MHz ram worth it? Would there be any benefit to 32GB of ram? Also, how much power would I need for a build like this? Any opinions or advice is welcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My budget is around $4k - $5k or so, although I'd prefer to spend less, and that's including 3 monitors and all new peripherals, and I've already bought the Corsair Obsidian 1000D case for $499 and a 1TB 970 EVO SSD for $415.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 8700k but if you're an overclocked you might consider a better board.
The 8 phase Prime/Strix boards would be fine with 4 core CPU or even a 6 but once you start OCing a 6 core with HT the final clock speed will suffer and you'll likely have to use more vcore than you should.

Are you water cooling? The 1000D is massive.

I'd get an 8700k, Asrock Extreme4, the cheapest 16gb 3200mhz kit you can find with good timings and a 1080Ti if you plan on gaming with 3 monitors...maybe even a Volta Titan but they're 3k iirc.
As for which 1080TI, the fastest one that runs cool lol.

I'd probably get a good 650w unit like the Seasonic Focus or better if you like. Even name brand expensive PSUs can be crap so do your research by reading up on load tests of your desired PSU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@madkillav2 - That does look like a pretty good deal, but I'm not really looking for a graphics card at the moment, I have an rx 580 which should be okay for now, and I figure some new graphics cards will be coming out soon and would hate to spend around $1k on a 1080 TI if an even better card is gonna come out in a few months. But thanks anyway.

@white owl - I wasn't really planning to overclock, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to get some more performance for higher end games if I decide to play them. As for the Extreme4, I'm kind of going for an RGB look. Are there any boards with RGB that are good for overclocking 6 cores? I honestly don't know much about overclocking or how much performance I can really gain, but I assume I could get a decent overclock with the z370-e. And no, I won't be doing any custom loops or anything, but maybe a cooler with a 360mm radiator.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I'm sure the low end Asus boards will OC ok they just have poor power delivery compared to others. Idk about RGB though, maybe the real ROG boards instead if the Strix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts