Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im very confused im looking for good overclocking mobo and I hit a wall. 6+3 vs fake 8+2 (4+2 has double VCOR components but without doubler chip) phase vrm. Which one is better for oc stability and higher mhz. As 6+3 phase mobo (ASUS Prime X370-PRO) and 8+2 (MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon). Keep in mind im only interested in overclock and these mobo are exsamples. Thanks for your help.

PS. and if it isnt to hard which is better fake 6+3 phase (ASROCK b350 Pro 4) or 4+2 phase (Asus Prime B350-PLUS).

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
A big 4+2 is better than a regular 4 phase as it can pass more current, but more real phases is better for stability. So in your first example, 6+3 is better than a big 4+2.
For the second example, real 4+2 is better for everything except an APU than fake 6+3 (which will likely be a 3+3 with extra bits).
An APU needs more SOC current than a regular chip.

For another example, the CH6 is more capable than the CH7 for overclocking an APU, but the CH7 is better for regular chips than the CH6 (and you'd be a fool to put an APU on either as neither has any display outputs for the APU)

In this description I'm using the Buildzoid description of a "Big" phase being a phase with double everything except driver ICs, whereas a "fake" phase has only some of those components doubled like some of the B450 which have 1 high side mosfet and 2 low side and 2 inductors.
The judge's decision on phase count is as follows: Real is better than big is better than fake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, so if i understand corectly ASUS Prime X370-PRO ir better since it has (at least to my kownlege) real 6+3 vrm design.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,579 Posts
A big 4+2 is better than a regular 4 phase as it can pass more current, but more real phases is better for stability. So in your first example, 6+3 is better than a big 4+2.
For the second example, real 4+2 is better for everything except an APU than fake 6+3 (which will likely be a 3+3 with extra bits).
An APU needs more SOC current than a regular chip.

For another example, the CH6 is more capable than the CH7 for overclocking an APU, but the CH7 is better for regular chips than the CH6 (and you'd be a fool to put an APU on either as neither has any display outputs for the APU)

The judge's decision on phase count is as follows: Real is better than big is better than fake
It's so unfortunate that in this current environment that anyone wanting to overclock their APU (2400G) chip has to select the numerous drudgery, masquerading as performance motherboards.

If you can recommend which current X470 motherboard that can work with an APU and overclock it till it 'bleeds' - please provide a link to it?

Don't care about motherboard size can be ATX, E-ATX, MicroATX, etc..... :thumb:

·
Registered
297 Posts
But how does 3 Big phases compare to 4 Real phases or, even more interestingly, 8 Fake phases?

When looking at B450 comments, I think we have to wait for discerning reviews to tell how capable each design choice really is as there's only so much you can assess and 'analyze' from pictures alone.

I also feel most of the well deserved negative response was due to mfr. marketing suggesting these thing were '6 phase' or '8 phase' when they aren't really Phases, at all.

·
- Insanity Beckons -
4,579 Posts
I also feel most of the well deserved negative response was due to mfr. marketing suggesting these thing were '6 phase' or '8 phase' when they aren't really Phases, at all.
Marketing are essentially selling something, so they have the task of selling anything that has NOT got what the customer is looking for by creating new terminology that helps to seal a SALE.

Stopped listening to them many years ago, when I was a teenager, so now I wait for REAL people here on OCN, to do their expert reviews on any given product. As long as they are NOT paid by the supplier of hardware, their testimony is the only one that matters when it comes to making a potential purchase of ANYTHING.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts