Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story in short I've come across 6 fibre channel hard drives for free that I want to utilize with a desktop if possible. I know that I'm going to need a fibre channel hba (probably PCIe interface for bandwidth), but other than that im pretty clueless. Running them in raid0 would be nice if possible but im assuming it would be tough. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
Not tough at all. As long as you cable them up correctly and your OS and HBA can see them, there's no reason why you cannot run them in whichever RAID level your HBA or OS supports.

• Rep+
Reactions: themidgetman

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
hmmm, I've seen Fibre Channel switches, but I'm sure they are a) external and b) expensive. Maybe you can get the equivalent of a SAS expander, but for Fibre Channel.

I know too little of Fibre Channel to be of much more help, tbh.

EDIT:

OK having looked a little deeper, it seems that FC HBAs are intended to use external connections only. I suppose they connect to an FC switch, which will in turn connect to a SAN chassis, which hosts and powers the hard drives.

You may be out of luck on the desktop.

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
I don't see why you can't connect the HBA directly to the SAN chassis, by rights it should work. And yes, if the SAN chassis has web management on-board, you should be able to connect via Ethernet and manage it via your web browser.

One thing to be aware of with that CX400: the drives it uses use 520 bytes per sector, rather than 512 as is the usual. EMC did this to get more ECC data onto the disks, so it's probably more of an EMC thing rather than an FC thing. There's no guarantee that your six drives will work with an EMC product, unless they originally came from one.

• Rep+

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,745 Posts
I've no idea to be honest, I'm not all that familiar with the FC market. You may wish to PM the_beast or ComGuards - they both work in data centres and would have a far better idea about this sort of thing than me.

• Rep+

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I understand it will have to come off ebay but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for... the best case scenario would to get an enclosure that can connect to a gigabit network and I can manage it that way, or an enclosure that I can connect via fiber to a fiber channel hba

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
What drives exactly?

If you got them for free, are they from an old decommissioned server? If so, performance may not be that good compared to recent consumer HDDs due to areal density.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't have model numbers or specs available right now all I know is I'm getting 6 144gb drives and possibly 12 300gb drives... I'm not too concerned about speed either Duckie, it's just that I can get a very decent amount of these drives and build up a decent amount of storage that I can use as a backup / media storage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.