Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going to grab a 6870x2 and it comes with two 6 pin to 8 pin pcie power adapters.

so here's my question; is that considered safe/normal to try and provide 8 pin power with only 6 pins at source?

i remember years ago i had a 20 pin connector and was using it for ages on a 24pin motherboard until a friend saw it and suggested that configuration would strain the psu because those 20 lines were trying to carry too much power.

similar situation?

cheers

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoNH View Post

i'm going to grab a 6870x2 and it comes with two 6 pin to 8 pin pcie power adapters.
so here's my question; is that considered safe/normal to try and provide 8 pin power with only 6 pins at source?
i remember years ago i had a 20 pin connector and was using it for ages on a 24pin motherboard until a friend saw it and suggested that configuration would strain the psu because those 20 lines were trying to carry too much power.
similar situation?
cheers
If it comes with them and provided you aren't already maxing out your PSU, which you are NOT even close to doing, I would say that it is fine.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoNH View Post

similar situation?
cheers
I think you should be fine; the last 2 pins for the 8 pin are ground pins

but I'll let a real PSU expert to step in as I certainly am no tan expert

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post

I think you should be fine; the last 2 pins for the 8 pin are ground pins
but I'll let a real PSU expert to step in as I certainly am no tan expert
I thought they were ground and was just opening my PC to check that and repost with what you said almost verbatim lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts