Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
42,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off before i begin no i have not reviewed any of these units nor do i claim any credit for it, Its all done by Techpowerup so all credit goes to them. Since Techpowerup does not have reviews for every single 600-650 watts PSU i can only pick the ones they have reviewed which means some PSU´s are not in thread however sad that might be. And a model(s) is not bad because its not here
So lets be about it and start with the Antec Edge

The fan used is a 135 mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan (HA13525H12F-Z) by Hong Hua, and its model number is HA13525H12F-Z (135 mm, 12 V, 0.5 A, 2000 RPM max). Although its model number is the same as for the fan in the XFX XTR-650, this one's maximum is 300 RPM lower, making it significantly quieter. However, we believe that Antec could have used an even quieter fan or a more relaxed fan profile (or, even better, a combination of both).

12v rail

5v rail

3,3v rail

Last is ripple

Next is the Corsair AX650

The fan used is a 120 mm Double Ball Bearing Fan and is provided by Sanyo Denki and its model number is 9S1212F404. It uses ball bearings for increased life span and at full speed it makes its present felt. Thankfully in this unit the fan profile is rather peaceful and on top of that at low loads/ambient the unit operates in fanless mode.

12v rail

5v rail

3,3v rail

Last is ripple

Next is the Corsair RM

The fan used is a 135 mm Rifle-Bearing Fan (NR135L) The fan is the same as the one in the RM750/850 units. It operation is silent at even full speed, and it uses rifle bearings, an enhanced type of the plain sleeve bearings. As you can see from the photos above, its model number is NR135L (12 V, 0.22 A). Finally, the fan profile is thankfully less relaxed than that of the RM750/850 units, which then puts less stress on heat-sensitive components like electorlytic caps.

12v rail

5v rail

3,3v rail

Last is ripple

Next is the EVGA SuperNova G2

The fan used is a 140mm Double Ball-Bearing Fan (RL4Z B1402512M) The fan is by Globe Fan, and its model number is RL4Z-B1402512M (140 mm, 12 V, 0.3 A, 1300 RPM, 92.16 CFM, 24.9 dBA). This fan uses double ball-bearings, so it will last for quite a long time.

12v rail

5v rail

3,3v rail

Last is ripple

Next is the EVGA SuperNova GS

The fan used is a 120 mm Teflon Nano-Steel Bearing Fan (T1202512LLN) The fan that handles this unit's cooling uses a teflon-coated bearing, which, due to air pressure, provides better characteristics and lasts longer than a sleeve-bearing fan. Its official specifications also state it to be quieter, with a lifetime that exceeds 80,000 hours at 40°C. The bearing's lack of lubricant (oil) means this fan isn't prone to leakage, which makes it ideal for horizontal installation, contrary to sleeve-bearing fans that are designed for vertical installation since most of them don't use gaskets to contain the lubricant inside their bearing compartment.

12v rail

5v rail

3,3v rail

Last is ripple

Next is the Silverstone Strider Gold

The fan used is a 120 mm Sleeve Bearing Fan (AD1212MS-A71GL) The cooling fan is provided by a good manufacturer, ADDA, but it uses sleeve bearing instead of the ball bearings that lasts much longer. Its model number is AD1212MS-A71GL (12V, 0.34 A, 2050 RPM, 80.5 CFM, and 38 dBA), and the fan speed control circuit fortunately doesn't let it to go above 1735 RPM. However, the fan profile is very aggressive once the ambient reaches 40°C.

12v rail

5v rail

3,3v rail

Last is ripple

Next is the XFX XTR

The fan used is a 135 mm Fluid Dynamic Bearing Fan (HA13525H12F-Z) The cooling fan is by Hong Hua, and its model number is HA13525H12F-Z (135 mm, 12 V, 0.5 A, 2300 RPM max). We believe this specific fan to be too strong for the needs this Gold-certified PSU.

12v rail

5v rail

3,3v rail

Last is ripple

The conclusion

Ripple suppression from best to worst (12v)

EVGA SuperNova G2 = 11mv
Corsair RMi =12,3mv
Corsair AX650 = 14,9mv
Antec Edge = 33,1mv
Cooler Master V = 33,1mv
XFX XTR = 42,2mv
Corsair RM = 42,5mv
EVGA SuperNova GS = 57,7mv
Silverstone Strider Gold = 70,9mv

Voltage regulation best to worst (12v)

EVGA SuperNova G2 = 0,89%
Corsair RMi = 1,20%
Antec Edge = 1,23%
Corsair RM = 1,24%
XFX XTR = 1,28%
Silverstone Strider Gold = 1,61%
Cooler Master V = 1,65%
Corsair AX650 = 1,66%
EVGA SuperNova GS = 1,87%

The overall and clear winner here is the EVGA SuperNova G2 as it has not only the best ripple suppression and voltage regulation but is also one of the cheapest on this list.
Prices found on newegg on oct 5 2015

EVGA SuperNova GS $95 US
EVGA SuperNova G2 $100 US
XFX XTR $100 US
Corsair RM $107 US
Antec Edge $130 US

The Corsair AX650 and Silverstone Strider Gold are no longer sold on newegg so no price on those.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
42,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only use data from TPU

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
Great and helpful thread for a majority of users excellent work

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
way too hard to do, imo

80 $ where ? usa aus ect and what happens in 6 months when prices change

·
Senior OCN Member
42,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As it says in the OP i can only work with the reviews TPU has and most of the reviews they have are from units from 2013 and earlier and no on cares about those and most of them cant even be found anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

As it says in the OP i can only work with the reviews TPU has and most of the reviews they have are from units from 2013 and earlier and no on cares about those and most of them cant even be found anymore.
What about Tomshardware? the guy who makes the reviews there is the same (Aris) and the metodology is the same as TPU.

·
Senior OCN Member
42,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom´s hardware does not have that many reviews either.

This is a list of units that have a TPU review and is NOT fully modular

There are a few good units on those lists but most of them are either old and EOL or not very good or both.

If i where to make a 500-599 thread the Seasonic G version 1 and 2 and the Cooler Master version 1 and 2 as well as the Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 and the Seasonic Platinum is what i would add.
I would not bother with the others.

About the only good ones on the other list is the Fractal Design EDISON M and the Super Flower Golden King the others are not really all that great.

·
Senior OCN Member
42,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont use data from reviews other then TDU for the simple reason its better presented and easier to use read and understand.
So no i wont use Tom´s hardware or anything else.

·
Missing friends
15,996 Posts
Iirc as well I have seen "reviews" on Tom's using a $20 psu tester

I'll never forget the review, but I do forget where it was,

"Yep the 12v, 5v, and 3.3v leds are lit so the psu is good" *shudders*

·
Premium Member
4,898 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on the Silverstone ST60F-PB?

I'm currently needing a new PSU that is under 140mm in length and preferably fully modular. This fits the bill, but there don't seem to be many reviews on it. The 700W version does more reviews which all seem to indicate its a decent unit

·
Senior OCN Member
42,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most SilverStone units are average so if 140mm is the max you are better off with a Cooler Master V.

·
Registered
365 Posts

this psu has made my OC far more stable, the clock speed has changed <=-30MHz, while before it could easily be 100-200. Also started getting some blue screens with oc'd memory and gpu before i replaced the cx600. intend to push it back there and further with this one.

ok, so after testing over the weekend with the OC set back to the point where i was getting BSOD every so often, and have yet to have it happen. I am 99% sure this solved the issues. Still a little early to say 100%, but if it doesnt happen by this weekend i will be certain as it was happening about 2x daily before, and forced me to knock my settings down.

i will likely raise the OC up even higher too now that i raised the cpu coolers fan speeds up and dropped temps too far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.