Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Gateway® LX6810-01 Link I have about $600 or so burning a hole in my pocket, and the GT120 just isn't cutting it anymore, not mention this case has horrible overheating issues.
So, should I use the money and purchase a new case, gpu and psu, or just start over with a new mobo and proccessor, the works? If I start a new build, is there anything aside from the HDD and physical accessories I could reuse?
I mostly use it for gaming, monitor resolution is 1680x1050. I would like to overclock if possible, never done it before, so it's not required. Any and all thoughts much appreciated

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
New build. I'm heading to bed, and can't recommend much. I'm thinking X4 955 + 5770 though in that budget.

·
Premium Member
6,160 Posts
I would do this:

-Upgrade to an after market motherboard and over clock that C2Q.
-Make sure you get a MB that is compatible with your DDR2 RAM
-PSU(There are some good $50 PSUs, w/good +12v rails, perfect of a decent GPU)
-Reuse your HDD
-GTX 460

Overall you will have plenty of money left over or add other parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my last build crashed and burned about a year and a half ago, and at the time I had no money to replace it. So my dear sweet grandmother went to best buy and asked for a gaming computer, then had it shipped to me. I haven't had the money to replace it since until just recently (yay, promotion), and I've essentially ignored all hardware progress since my old comp died.

Edit: Thanks for the swift responses! I'm leaning more towards the upgrade I think, as I'm a penny pincher at heart, and reusing bits appeals to me. It seems the Antec 300 is the go to cheap case, so I'll likely use that. Any other suggestions/ideas?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
im thinking if its for gaming go X2 555 or 560 and a stronger GPU while trying to unlock the X2 to a X4 for gpu maybe a GTX 460

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aden1422
View Post

Well, my last build crashed and burned about a year and a half ago, and at the time I had no money to replace it. So my dear sweet grandmother went to best buy and asked for a gaming computer, then had it shipped to me. I haven't had the money to replace it since until just recently (yay, promotion), and I've essentially ignored all hardware progress since my old comp died.

I just wanted to say that you have an awesome grandmother!

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
this is what i came up with if you want a new rig.

if possible i'd go for the GTX 460 Hawk instead as it'll be slightly faster, and comes with Just Cause 2 and Mafia II... it's $200 before a $10 rebate. good card as long as you don't expect the 1ghz core they list on the box. you could also go with the EVGA GTX 460 and step up later (rumors expect the 560 to be hitting sometime around january 20th). also comes with the free games.

alternatively you can reuse your hard drive, ram, processor, memory and mobo, and get a better GPU and power supply with an SSD. you'll trade OCing and CPU power for GPU power. i'd do that tbh but only you know your usage patterns.

-e- welcome to OCN. enjoy your stay here

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ice, looks like a great build (I'm reading up on current hardware atm, soooo behind), now I just have to scrounge up five bucks^^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Humorous quote from the Gateway link:

Quote:
Having more RAM = being able to ram through more fun.
Why in gods name did they put 8GB of ram on that computer? Why not just cut that in half, take 30-40 off the price or put it towards a better video card? Mainstream companies seem to put zero effort or brainpower into their builds. A thoughtful $1000 home build with some overclocking is about as good as a stock $2500 retail PC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts