Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since about 6 months ago, I get 600 ping randomly throughout the day in my computer, everyday. It would happen around 4-5 times a day and last around 5 minutes. Any internet activity during those times would be impossible. I made sure nothing is going on in the background. If i think about it carefully, this issue started around the time I upgraded to a Samsung EVO ssd and moving my pc to the living room from my room. I don't know if either of those things could have caused it, but I can't seem to know what to do in this situation. It's a really high ping which exceeds the level when I'm downloading something, like a game on steam, which gets up to 400 ping. Something is terribly wrong.
mad.gif
mad.gif

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
What type of internet are you using? ADSL, Cable, Fibre...?

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
3mbps is pretty dam slow, I am guessing you are using a DSL connection, in that case, call up your ISP and ask them to run a noise test on your phoneline.(If there is a lot of background noise on your line then it will negatively affect internet speeds)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post

When you moved the PC did you move the modem too?

Could you post the DSL stats from the modem?
No the modem stayed.

For the dsl stat, where do I check that information?

Another problem that also came with this problem as well is that, whenever i try to connect a new wifi device, I have to restart my modem. THEN it connects

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOerila View Post

No the modem stayed.

Another problem that also came with this problem as well is that, whenever i try to connect a new wifi device, I have to restart my modem. THEN it connects
When you say modem, is it a modem/router/wifi combo? If so, when you have said latency spike try pinging your default gateway which if it is the combo will be your modem. If you have 600ms to your modem then that would clarify if your issue is internal or external.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Quote:

If you can log into the gateway IP via your web browser it usually gives you some line statistics.

If you tell us what model of device it is we could find some default credentials.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post

If you can log into the gateway IP via your web browser it usually gives you some line statistics.

If you tell us what model of device it is we could find some default credentials.
Can you give me a step by step?

·
Computer Arsonist
2,620 Posts
Quote:

It's a modem that came from at&t and it says "2Wire"
Well "2Wire" are a company that sell networking hardware so that is a start...
Can you take a picture of any sticker that may be on the bottom of the modem so we can see the numbers?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts