Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My price range is $600 (CAD) and I am looking for a good GPU at the moment.. I'm gonna stick with nVidia but before I rush out and buy one, I just want to make sure that my system won't

A) bottleneck the GPU performance severely
B) need a more powerful PSU

I know I'm running a pretty low res for gaming (1280x1024) and I'd like to bump that up to a 1920x180 monitor in the future.. but for now I can live with my monitors if it means I get liquid smooth framerate at max settings...

GTX 5 series? Overclocked GTX 4 series? Monitor? PSU?

Which will give me the most bang for buck in terms of gaming based on my existing setup?

Also, just out of curiosity, how much do you think I could sell my 6 month old EVGA 9800 GTX+ for? (includes an EVGA lifetime warranty but I don't know if that's transferable)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by revlimiter
View Post

My price range is $600 (CAD) and I am looking for a good GPU at the moment.. I'm gonna stick with nVidia but before I rush out and buy one, I just want to make sure that my system won't

I know I'm running a pretty low res for gaming (1280x1024) and I'd like to bump that up to a 1920x180 monitor in the future.. but for now I can live with my monitors if it means I get liquid smooth framerate at max settings...

Which will give me the most bang for buck in terms of gaming based on my existing setup?

Also, just out of curiosity, how much do you think I could sell my 6 month old EVGA 9800 GTX+ for? (includes an EVGA lifetime warranty but I don't know if that's transferable)

Your psu is a no-name and I would not recommend anything above a 460, maybe 560ti.

Edit: Pick up a high quality 650w+ psu and get a (gasp) amd card. The 580 is only about 4 fps faster than the 6970, and if you buy a 6950 you can unlock it and oc it to a 6970 level.

SO:

Corsair, etc. 650w psu - $100-120
Radeon HD6950 - $276
And buy the most expensive monitor possible with the remaining money, just avoid no names like hanns-g.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
As said above re: your PSU.

Your monitor resolution will bottleneck the latest cards, a GTX460 would be overkill, but you'll be upgrading your monitor eventually.

How high is your CPU overclocked?

My guess is you should purchase a new brand-name 550watt+ PSU (with a decent 12v rail, or a 750watt if you intend to SLI in future) and a GTX560ti or GTX570. This shouldn't take all of your budget, so save the rest. Then when you sell your 9800gtx you should purchase a new monitor @ 1080p or higher, using your savings from this upgrade and money from the sale of the 9800.

That seems to be the best upgrade path for now, leaving you with a fairly well balanced system, and should allow you to run all the latest games pretty damn well for another year or two (assuming you've got your CPU up around 3.5ghz or more).

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by revlimiter
View Post

since u wnt buy anything other than nvidia gpu,this will be your best upgrade:
gtx480 @ $280 at many online stores
or
gtx570
psu- corsair tx750 v2/antec true power tp-650
its the best upgrade option,huge performence increase over your existing gpu,
gtx480/570 easily beats a gtx560ti,
hope u like this.
Hope u like this

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfan844;13050996
Your psu is a no-name and I would not recommend anything above a 460, maybe 560ti.

Edit: Pick up a high quality 650w+ psu and get a (gasp) amd card. The 580 is only about 4 fps faster than the 6970, and if you buy a 6950 you can unlock it and oc it to a 6970 level.

SO:

Radeon HD6950 - $276
And buy the most expensive monitor possible with the remaining money, just avoid no names like hanns-g.
this x10000!
you could go with this deal and this monitor and that will come to $600 or less after shipping

·
Waiting on New Hardware
4,478 Posts
I think a 650 watt psu for over $100 is kinda expensive.
but yea the HD 6950 is the best choice right now. althought if you must have nvidia, then the GTX 570 is an alternative.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
the links i provided give a 650w PSU paired with ASUS 6950 and you save about 40 bucks. that leaves more money for the monitor.

I stick with my recommendations above

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfan844;13050996

SO:

Radeon HD6950 - $276
Hanns-G monitors actually get excellent reviews. I have had a wonderful experience with the refurbished 28" Hanns-G I use for my sig rig. Vibrant colors, sharp picture, no visible input lag whatsoever, 1200p resolution. I see no reason to snub this company as a "no name" company just because you're not paying a ridiculous amount of money for completely indistinguishable "advantages" that come with high price tags.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james8;13055383
I think a 650 watt psu for over $100 is kinda expensive.
but yea the HD 6950 is the best choice right now. althought if you must have nvidia, then the GTX 570 is an alternative.
no,650 watt psu dont cost over $100,
corsair tx650 v2 $90
corsair tx650 $80
antec true power new tp650 $80
all these psu are high quality psu & are under $100
@OP,
I suggest u to go with amd hd6970/hd6950 2gb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.