Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I finally managed to get an GTX580 after it not being available since launch basically ~_~ But now that I was again looking around at specs and such since it had been a while from the time I made the actual order, I noticed they recommend at least 600w and I believe it was something like 42 amps on the 12 volt rails? Minimum, that is.

That should be the specs of the PSU I am currently using.

I have a Core i7 920 running at 2.93Ghz in the system as well.

Not exactly savvy when it comes to PSUs, so was hoping to just make sure I can run the GTX580 on this and maybe OC it without burning up everything.

Thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If your power supply is up to spec, you have 48.3 Amps across your four rails. The conclusion to that article was that they have faults but they are not altogether terrible PSUs.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Yes, but those are completely different models. This one may be a different design, or from a completely different OEM. We have no data.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by StuffStuff1
View Post

I wouldnt do it.

Nexus PSU are really really bad..

Heres one review

The review for mine said

Quote:

In a nutshell, the NX-8060 passes all the power and electrical aspects of performance with flying colors.

But I'm no expert on the matter like I said.

Also, the GTX580, I think, requires 8+6 pins. This one should have 6+6.. Although, I recall I have an adapter in it, because the HD4890 that's on it right now also required 8+6(I think, at least) and it's been running fine for 2 years on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, umm, I've dug around for as much info as I could and it really seems I should upgrade my PSU. Guru3D recommends a minimum of 650W to prevent possible shutdowns/damage to other components under full load..

Now, the noise of the PSU being as low as possible is an extremely important factor for me. I've broken a PSU due to.. raging.. because of the constant bloody high-pitched tone in it that just wouldn't go away and the Nexus "Real Silent" I have now barely registers at all and certainly not over the CPU/GPU/Case fans.

Now with that in mind I was thinking about either:
700W RX-7000
or
850W RX-8500

Silentpcreview.com seems to give them good marks on being silent, but mentions their efficiency and power output is not maybe up to industry standards.. Any other suggestions in the silent PSU department maybe?

Edit: In similar price range and availability here would be OCZ 700W ModXStream Pro, Thermaltake 875W Toughpower XT ATX, Corsair 750W 750AX, ATX2.31.. Not sure exactly what this different "version" of ATX in some of these means. They can be incompatible with my Mobo or Case? I have Antec P183 case and Asus Rampage II Gene motherboard. Hope they aren't a problem. Changing a PSU in this case is horrible though, whoever thought about putting it on the ground-level instead of at the top needs to be fired. Wiring nightmare. Ramble.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I recommend Sea sonic x650. It has 80 plus gold certified and 66 amps on 12 v rail more than enough to run an overclock single gtx580. Its quiet too yet expensive. However, bare in mind you need to invest more on power supply than other components because many of the computer's issue was poor quality powersupply.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm running my GTX480 with a corsair VX550 with no problems.It has 41 A on the +12V rail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by allikat;12019056
Antec P183? That will take the Antec CP units, which are excellent and very well priced. If that's not available, then go for the Corsair AX.
Antec 850W CP-850 CPX is indeed available and it has a very nice price considering. I didn't mention it, because it had a warning on it that stated it is extra large and requires a specific case to fit. I guess I should have realized that being a large Antec case, mine would be exactly what it's meant for.

But since this case is actually horrible, changing the PSU is an immense task of many frustrations. How they didn't realize that the PSU being BELOW the GPU would create some problems is beyond me. The wires simply do not properly fit and have to be bend around the massive GPU which made me sweat last time. Not to mention, you cannot put HDDs into the lower case if you want to use the fan; it simple will not fit with the wires. And putting them down there is a must if you have a GPU that reaches from end-to-end and leaves no space for more than 1 HDD above.

That was a bit offtopic, the case really just annoys me, but anyway..

After looking at numbers from the calculator linked in the PSU Buyers Guide, I figured I'll give it a go and see if it works(with 90% load and 20% aging, it recommended 589W for me, minimum of 540 or so). If I get a shutdown under heavy load, well, then I'll have no choice. But really, I want to avoid having to rewire that P.O.S. at all costs.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
The CP850 has cables of a good length for a P183. The problem you were probably having before was that cables weren't long enough. With the CP850 you should be able to route the cables behind the motherboard tray so that the case doesn't look as cluttered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129
View Post

The CP850 has cables of a good length for a P183. The problem you were probably having before was that cables weren't long enough. With the CP850 you should be able to route the cables behind the motherboard tray so that the case doesn't look as cluttered.

Yes indeed. I really had to practically stretch the cables to be able to get them to where they needed to go and the result is that they're extremely tight, I believe I could play some tunes on them if I wanted to.

But behind the motherboard? Hmm, that sounds interesting. I'll definately look into that particular model if/when I need to.

·
Premium Member
6,404 Posts
Exactly, and the CP850 comes out pretty close to the highly praised (and priced) Antec Signature units, for far less money. You are lucky in that your case is one of those that will take the CP. The only downside is that if you did get really tired of the P183, then the CP will probably have to be replaced as well if you don't stick with Antec's larger cases.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, wanted to raise a follow-up question now that I actually have had it up and running without problems for a few days.

I didn't plug in my 2nd monitor when I switched cards, but I kinda miss it now. Would plugging in another monitor actually use up a lot of power from my system? It is plugged in to a wall, after all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts