Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new CPU kinda sorta. I was a little unimpressed with the result of my currents chip, and I've been aching for 1MB of L2 from day one. I've read that AMD released Socket 754 62watt mobile chips last July. I've looked hard, but I can't seem to find anything other than DTR chips which are 81.5watts. I'm looking for a 3400 62 watt and the model number should be something like AMN3400BI?5AR or AX. It should be the Odessa core, so if anyone comes across these for retail, lemme know

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I want is for it to work on the DFI LANParty UT nf3-250gb
Gonna get me that, some TCCD memory from OCZ and push 2.8GHz (hopefully)
On that note, anyone know if they'll launch nforce4 for Socket 754? doesn't seem likely as it's being "phased out" but I really don't want to have to buy Socket 939...it just seems so useless at this point, but twin 6800GTs is gonna rock...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

but I really don't want to have to buy Socket 939...it just seems so useless at this point, but twin 6800GTs is gonna rock...

Hey I am too considering between Socket 939 or Socket 754 as well, why you think that the Socket 939 seems so useless? Let me knows you theory please? btw is the Athlon64 moblie a more overclockable cpu comparing with the others A64?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster

Hey I am too considering between Socket 939 or Socket 754 as well, why you think that the Socket 939 seems so useless? Let me knows you theory please? btw is the Athlon64 moblie a more overclockable cpu comparing with the others A64?

I dont think he thinks they are useless...its a matter of cost perspective. Any 939 processor is much more expensive than 754's....but the benefits to having a 939 is very nice!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only real benefit of Socket 939 is dual channel memory, and if you compare the prcoessors clock for clock, the difference is minimal at best. There's a poor selection of Socket 939 boards, and there's been no hint of 939 mobile chips, so I'm gonna stick with 754 unless there's no plans for an SLI 754 board, then I'll consider it...If you can afford to go Socket 939, by all means do, but I think I'd rather buy a 3700 and socket 754 than spend the same money on a 3500 and Socket 939.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I should clarify, it's like Xavier said, it's a money issue, something I don't have a lot of, so I find it useless to spend the extra money to have to buy dual channel sticks of memory and more expensive motherboards and processors when I really don't need to. That's my idea of overclocking, spend less then run at the more expensive speeds. I REALLY hate seeing people flanting the FX-53's and 6800 Ultras (no offense Zeus
) but I'm not too big to say it's because I'm jealous either
I wanted to rip some guy's head off when he flanted his FX-53 at 3.0GHz in my face...not to mention living where I do I see nothing but people with more money than they've got common sense...I mean there's like 30 BMW's in my school parking lot...but ok rant mode off
But yeah, if you can afford to go with Socket 939, it would be a good idea for upgradability since, like I said, Socket 754 is being phased out for Athlon 64's and the XP's, Durons, and Semprons will sonn assume that socket. On that note, if anyone wants to throw some cash my way, I won't stop you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey dude you got your point, and I am kinda agree with you. That's the reason which I enjoy overclocking hehe, btw how do you know why mobo got the AGP/PCI lock? I check the asus and abit web page but they didnt said their mobos got APG/PCI lock, is it depends on the northbridge? for example, does the VIA K8T800Pro/np has the AGP/PCI lock ?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's in the northbridge, K8T800 Pro and nForce 3 250/GB/Ultra chipsets have AGP/PCI locks. There's supposedly some sort of "secondary" PCI lock in the K8T800 chipset but I've only heard little tid bits on these forums.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still gotta find a place to buy one though
although, I just saw the new 90nm Socket939's are all taking it to 2.6GHz on air..I might go the route

1 - 15 of 15 Posts