Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people!

well, i have a small GSP (game server provider) company, and im looking for a better Firewall than the Windows's one.

Im currently running Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit, with only Windows Firewall (i dont use AV).
But really, the windows Firewall is really poor. im looking for a 64bits firewall, with the following specifications:
  • Solid, specially to prevent DDoS
  • low resources consuption (and not lag the game servers)
  • if possible, Free, if not, there isnt problem, ill buy it
which one do you recommend?

thanks a lot in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
You should run a hardware firewall rather than a software firewall.... That's what I'd recommend. And then turn off the Windows firewall completely.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

You should run a hardware firewall rather than a software firewall.... That's what I'd recommend. And then turn off the Windows firewall completely.

This

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Thirded

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
as far as i know there is no such thing as a software application for ddos protection. in fact it doesn't really make much sense unless you're literally connected directly to the Internet--if that is your current setup, then you really need to reconsider your profession. you need an advanced UTM with IPS functionality or a full blown IPS in between the net and your network. you can read some about UTMs and IDPS here, but again, I hope that you don't need such education being that your a hosting provider. Please be advised that even if a software or hardware spec includes dos protection, that there are many forms of DoS.

Also, there is no such thing as "low resource consumption" if your security control manages ddos. If you're getting attacked, your IDPS solution is going to use ever last bit of resource to provide service continuity.

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yawnbox View Post
as far as i know there is no such thing as a software application for ddos protection. in fact it doesn't really make much sense unless you're literally connected directly to the Internet--if that is your current setup, then you really need to reconsider your profession. you need an advanced UTM with IPS functionality or a full blown IPS in between the net and your network. you can read some about UTMs and IDPS here, but again, I hope that you don't need such education being that your a hosting provider. Please be advised that even if a software or hardware spec includes dos protection, that there are many forms of DoS.

Also, there is no such thing as "low resource consumption" if your security control manages ddos. If you're getting attacked, your IDPS solution is going to use ever last bit of resource to provide service continuity.
Yes.

You shouldn't be looking to software, but rather to hardware, and either make your own UTM appliance, or purchase one from Cisco, or Watchguard or similar company.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts