Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I break warranties.
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing this to prove a point to a friend of mine.

Say, you're running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.........................does it really pay to run Office 2010 x64? Is there really a speed increase? Does it actually make a difference? Do some 32 bit apps run BETTER under Windows 7 x64 than they do under Window 7 x32?

Just curious

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
64-Bit = More memory to use, i.e. Photoshop 64 Bit would benefit greatly if you open raw files or very large files to edit. x64 can read data in larger chunks making it more efficient at processing data. It wouldn't make a difference if you ran 32-Bit under x64 Windows as it is still a 32-Bit application.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
If you run 64-bit native applications under Win64, you will get better performance than running 32-bit versions of the same applications under Win64. So yes, if you're running 64-bit Windows, choose 64-bit software whenever possible. There's no penalty for running 32-bit applications. The WoW64 subsystem handles Win32 operation under Win64, and does so with virtually no performance penalty compared to running 32-bit Windows.

Personally, I wish Microsoft had taken Win32 out the door and shot it after Vista, rather than continuing to make 32-bit versions of Windows 7 and 8. It's really aggravating that a decade after x86-64, and two-thirds of the software on my computer is running in legacy mode, because software devs code for the lowest common denominator and Microsoft allows it by continuing to produce 32-bit Windows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts