Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My intention is to build a new system based on X79 motherboard with 64 GB Ram.
My question is:
Is it safe&secure to build such a 64 GB Ram system using 2 x Corsair Dominator 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz Quad Channel Kit? Or maybe GeIL EVO Corsa 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Quad Channel Kit.
As for motherboard, I was thinking that Asus P9X79 PRO will be a good choice.
Or maybe Asus P9X79 WS Intel X79 motherboard might be a safer choice?
Even though a bit of overclocking doesn't hurt, I'm mainly interested to have a stable system.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Customer View Post

Even though a bit of overclocking doesn't hurt, I'm mainly interested to have a stable system.
The stress on the IMC with 64GBs of RAM (essentially filling all of the RAM slots) will make overclocking pretty much an impossibility. Well, at least an overclock that would even be worth it.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

The stress on the IMC with 64GBs of RAM (essentially filling all of the RAM slots) will make overclocking pretty much an impossibility. Well, at least an overclock that would even be worth it.
Isn't that only true for overclocking of the RAM itself? If you keep your RAM at stock speeds you shouldn't have any issues.

·
DTR Enthusiast
4,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylene View Post

Quote:

Isn't that only true for overclocking of the RAM itself? If you keep your RAM at stock speeds you shouldn't have any issues.
Nope this is from first hand experience with 16GBs. Its pretty hard to stabilize it.
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylene View Post

Correct, but for example.. when you're buying DDR3 1600 rated RAM, do you buy it to run it at 1333, or 1600? The more sticks you add, the more difficult it becomes to achieve that 1600 goal without adding extra voltage, which adds even more stress on the memory controller, thus adding further difficulty in overclocking in itself.

Either that or you can't stabilize the RAM at all.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Quote:

Correct, but for example.. when you're buying DDR3 1600 rated RAM, do you buy it to run it at 1333, or 1600? The more sticks you add, the more difficult it becomes to achieve that 1600 goal without adding extra voltage, which adds even more stress on the memory controller, thus adding further difficulty in overclocking in itself.
Either that or you can't stabilize the RAM at all.
I thought x79 set ups could handle loaded slots with 1600mhz. My bad.

·
Iconoclast
30,629 Posts
Quote:

There may be some limitation, but it's highly unlikely to be anywhere near as dramatic as this.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

There may be some limitation, but it's highly unlikely to be anywhere near as dramatic as this.
You think so? I'd be curious to see, actually.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I wouldn't think you would have too much an issue with all the RAM slots populated! I have all the RAM slots populated on my 2700K, that's 2 sticks per channel, the same as the OP is asking about, and I have it running at 1866MHz with only a 0.05v bump to the IMC and the RAM for good measure and it hasn't had any negative effect on CPU overclocking at all! I'm running 4.6GHz, just as I was when I only had 2 sticks.

If you need the RAM then go for it! You'll be fine!

·
Iconoclast
30,629 Posts
Quote:

You think so? I'd be curious to see, actually.
The only potential issue, that I can see, is that SB-E has it's IMC running at full core speed, but with the right memory ratio and timings, amount of memory shouldn't really limit OC.

This guy has 4.7GHz out of his 3960 with 64GiB of memory: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18385715

I haven't done any testing myself with OCing a 64GiB system, as I don't have an LGA-2011 setup or eight 8GiB DIMMs, but I do have multiple LGA-1366 setups and all sorts of lower density DDR3. The difference in CPU OCing ability between 3GiB and 24GiB on my LGA-1366 chips is zero. Uncore speed is limited by very large amounts of memory on Bloomfield/Gulftown, however.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
well - heres my opinion on this - if there is a quad Kit that is rated for the speed and packaged as a 32GB Kit - then just run the XMP thinger and your good.

but if it is 2 x 16GB Kits, then you may experience some issues running the exact listed specification.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for feedback guys!
Right now I have a 24 GB 1366 socket based rig and I have no problems with oveclocking. It`s a i7 970 at 4.2 GHz. The memory it`s not overclocked because I don`t think you get much benefit from it. As I previously mentioned, it`s much more important to have a stable system. On the other side, to have a i7 3930K CPU and not to overclock it, it would be a real shame. With my current rig a have a chilled water system, as you can see in this thread., and of course I`m going to use it on the new system.

@Blameless - Totally agreed with you. And thanks for the link. It really helps.
thumb.gif

My fear was that having 8 slots filled with 8GB each will might raise some stability problems. Not to mention using 2x 32 GB kit.
I might go in the end for ASUS P9X79 WS. I think it`s the best option for such a rig.

Again, many thanks.
And if you have more info or some useful links, let them coming.

Cheers,

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was just about to start a new thread when i saw this one ( sorry to butt in) heres my situation:
Buying this soon:
i 7 3930k with noctua nh-d142 x Patriot Viper "Black Mamba" Generation 3 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Quad CHannel Kit (PV332G160C9QK) [PV332G160C9QK] (so 64gb) see here: http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&pr odgroupid=232&id=1262in an asus p9x79 pro. The memory is 1.5v and CAS 9 9 9 24 . I am currently waiting for a response from patriot but last time I contacted them I got no answer so I am not sure of how helpful they will be. I am going for these kits because of my noctua and limited choice.

But I too am worried - would be great to hear people's experiences if there are any who's done this type of thing...like is it better to just buy faster ram and leave it while overclocking the cpu? Luckily I only want to get a small 4.4 ish out of mine but really don't want to roll back the ram...thanks
wink.gif

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ah patriot just got back to me:

Hello,

Yes you can use (2) of our PV332G160C9QK memory on your Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard, however you may need to relax the timings to 1333MHz. The reason for that is we can only guarantee that the rated speeds are obtainable per kit (as this is how each kit is tested). Adding the additional set will further stress the memory controller and relaxing the timings and/or frequency may be necessary.

So I guess it is better to get faster ram? Need to find people with experiences of actually using these set ups...

·
Registered
495 Posts
Since when did having all your RAM slots populated make over clocking hard? I can hit 4.8 GHZ at 1.35V on 2700k with my RAM slots populated by 4X4=16GB of 1600MHZ corsair vengeance RAM, or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by immakulate View Post

Since when did having all your RAM slots populated make over clocking hard? I can hit 4.8 GHZ at 1.35V on 2700k with my RAM slots populated by 4X4=16GB of 1600MHZ corsair vengeance RAM, or am I missing something?
Density always plays a role. How each individual chip handles with OC's is always different.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts