Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to overclocking and really want to get my cpu working harder
. As it'll be my first overclocking ever I'm pretty nub at all of this. I've been searching this forum and google to find that I could clock the core speed to 2.6Ghz without changing my voltages. Is this true? my setup is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13Ghz (standard Heatsink, soon to be upgraded)
Asus P5L 1394
4GB Kingston DDR2 667 (4 modules at 1GB each)
800W PSU

Is this setup overclockable?
Anyone overclocked this setup?
What would you recommend for a stable overclock setup?
I did read that big post by "NoAffinity" but its all a bit confusing im sure ill get it one day! I just need some help with my first overclock please.

Thankyou heaps in advance,
D3sign

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
The voltage and frequencies really depend on your chip. All chips are different, just because someone else's E6420 hits 2.6Ghz at stock volts, yours might not.

Yes, the setup is overclockable.
To overclock, you should go into your BIOS, set the CPU voltage to stock and increase the FSB in small increments and test for stability. When the system starts crashing or hanging you either need to increase the volts or back off a bit. Also, set your CPU multiplier to 8x. The FSB multiplied by the multiplier is your frequency. So say your FSB is 350 and your multiplier is 8x, 350 x 8 = 2.8Ghz. Start with small overclocks and build up. Remember to manually set your RAM timings to the stock settings. You can find this info on the manufacturers site if you aren't sure.
But post back here what happens and we will help you

I probably forgot the most important thing: CHECK YOUR TEMPERATURES. Are you using the Intel stock HSF, or an aftermarket cooler? To monitor your temps you should use a program such as SpeedFan, Everest, CoreTemp. When you start to get into the higher frequencies also check for stability using programs like Prime95, Linx, BurninTest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thanks for the information! Should I upgrade the HSF from stock before overclocking? I'm keen to try it now

·
Registered
506 Posts
I wouldn't try much with stock cooling.. 2.5-2.6 might be doable, but keep a close eye on your temps!

Btw the 6420 is a great chip, I've got mine at 3.4 GHz with a little room left in it at 1.49v. I wouldn't go any higher than that on voltage, but I've had it to 3.6GHz and it fails the Prime95 test at about 2 hrs every time. 3.4GHz is 48-hour stable for me. I'm on a pretty unpopular CM cooler, too. If I used Megahalem or a TRUE I may be able to pull off the 3.6.

The RAM kinda sucks, see about getting some better DDR2.. its dirt cheap. And use some good thermal paste on the CPU, like AS5 or MX-2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear I bought a good CPU without really knowing its full potential
so whats a good CPU HSF?

Also I cannot upgrade the ram since my motherboard only supports up to 667 Mhz DDR2
. I am thinking of buying a new motherboard and ram now I know what my CPU is capable of.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the scythe mini ninja CPU HSF any good? I can't have anything to heavy or baulky.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I use the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro on my E6400 (almost the same chip as yours, mine is also stock @ 2.13Ghz) and I have it running constant at 3.3Ghz with no errors, crashes or reboots [I did have it stable at 3.36Ghz too, but the voltage was too high for me]. And the temperatures never exceed 55C under load. And it's like $20 too
Someone will probably come along and say get the TRUE or Megahalem but to be honest, you don't need it and it will just be a waste of money for extra things that you don't need.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A TRUE is never a waste of money, i wish i had one (Couldnt get one where i live (Australia) at the time i was in the market for a AF HSF), you can never run too cool, especially when ambient temps rise up.

But yes, do some research, find a HSF the meets your budget requirements and cooling requirements and get it, although you can do some o\\c'ing on a stock HSF, its going to be hotter than you'd ever be comfortable with

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up a HSF today! No where in Perth (Aus) sells the Artic Cooling brand or TRUE. Went in to get a Zalman CPS9700NT and they only had the copper ones with the non PWM fan, so I upgraded and went all out and got a Cooler Master Hyper Z600 with 2 x 120mm Cooler Master Fans. Apparently this heatsink is the ducks nuts when it comes to overclocking.
Going to install it tomorrow and see what this behemoth heatsink can do, ill post my results when Ive set it all up.

·
Registered
506 Posts
GL, report back when you get it stable. Don't know how the BIOS is for the P5L but if it's anything like the P5N-E, make sure you unlink the RAM and FSB settings and run the RAM at stock speeds. You may be able to get a slight overclock on the RAM but I doubt it. If you don't unlink it and manually set it you're not gonna be able to OC the CPU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.

I havent started overclocking yet I've been flat out lately installing dynamat into my car. But I have had time to run some temperature test runs on the stock HSF and the Hyper Z600, this new HSF is a lot colder. I'll have some good results at the end of this to share I think.

I have a question before I start overclocking on wednesday though. I can't find my stock memory timings but I did find in CPU-Z that under the memory tab I found.

CAS = 5 clocks
RAS to CAS = 5 clocks
RAS Precharge = 5 clocks
Cycle Time = 15 clocks

Since I havent changed anything yet is this my stock timing? 5-5-5-15??

·
Banned
3,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by D3sign View Post
Update.

I havent started overclocking yet I've been flat out lately installing dynamat into my car. But I have had time to run some temperature test runs on the stock HSF and the Hyper Z600, this new HSF is a lot colder. I'll have some good results at the end of this to share I think.

I have a question before I start overclocking on wednesday though. I can't find my stock memory timings but I did find in CPU-Z that under the memory tab I found.

CAS = 5 clocks
RAS to CAS = 5 clocks
RAS Precharge = 5 clocks
Cycle Time = 15 clocks

Since I havent changed anything yet is this my stock timing? 5-5-5-15??
Yes their ur default timings, 5-5-5-15 are loose timings meaning you have more of a headroom to overclock your FSB, remember higher MHZ is better then tighter timings
...You should hit around 3.8ghz pretty easily as i hit 3.8 with my old E6400

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies!

Does anyone have any experience in the P5L 1394 series MB? Because I really need some help and google isn't doing anything for me
. When I enter the CPU configuration part of my BIOS the cpu settings are all written there but are greyed out and I dont know how to access them to change them.

Maybe a BIOS update is needed? or am I just ******ed and missing something here? the bios version is 02**. Can't remember the last couple numbers.

·
Banned
4,710 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by daanielin
View Post

I managed to get mine E6420 to 3.4 on stock cooling, now I got Coolmaster V8 and aiming for 3.8-4.0..

My old E6420 was one of the special ones that hit 4Ghz but if your not going to water cool it forget about 4Ghz, Heck 3.8Ghz might be out of reach aswel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone have any experience in the P5L 1394 series MB? Because I really need some help and google isn't doing anything for me . When I enter the CPU configuration part of my BIOS the cpu settings are all written there but are greyed out and I dont know how to access them to change them.

Maybe a BIOS update is needed? or am I just ******ed and missing something here? the bios version is 0251 newest is 0601.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't worry I found what was wrong. I feel pretty silly but it was under jumper configuration... but I cannot change my multiplier, well there is no option. If I update the BIOS rekon I could? I'm allowed to select up to 450 FSB so standard multiplier is 6?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts