Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a $650 budget I already have a thermaltake armor a30 micro atx case and a 500gb hard drive for this build I'm racking my head tryin to figure out which route to go intel or amd and I have no clue what to do I've been looking at benchmarks for a week on this but anyway I'd like to be able to play bf3 on high settings at 1600x900 at 60 or better fps so I'm figured I'd ask the oc community to help me with this. I need DVD, MB, CPU, PSU, GPU, and RAM and I have a 650 dollar budget for it

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm back and out of work, so now i can take my good old time writing some more proper parts recommendations.
thumb.gif

Did some more digging on TomsHardware and found the perfect article! You must read this! It's BF3 performance on 30+ graphics cards!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063.html

GPU: A Nvidia 560 Ti or a ATi 6870. These two cards are similar in price. BF3 is part of Nvidia "the Way It's Ment To Be Played" program. The Nvidia seems to have better driver support, while the ATi is a little bit cheaper. Either would be a good choice.

As far as which brand to choose, if you plan on overclocking (and have the extra cash) grab the Asus DCII Nvidia 560 Ti. For the DCII series, Asus doesn't follow the Nvidia reference schematic, Asus dramatically improves it. From a electronics point of view the DCII cards are superior is design to the other cards on the market, and overclock like a beast.

Asus DCII 560 Ti: $249.99 or XFX 6870: $190.00

CPU: Here is a article on best gaming CPU's for the money --> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3077.html. Get a 2500K. It's will totally destroy any AMD on the market.

Intel I5 2500K: $200.00

MOBO: Lets see we need a micro-ATX. Your best choices are ASRock Z68 PRO3-M OR GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3. Both are equally awsome. The Gigiabyte has more PCI-E 2.0 slots, where the Asus has a PCI slot. The ASRock has surround sound while the Gigabyte has more USB ports.

Gigiabye: $124 or ASrock $109

RAM: Go low profile. It performs just as well, and will save you headache in that tiny case. 8Gb is considered "typical" for a gaming PC. I would recommend G.Skill Sniper 8Gb (x2 4Gb).

G. Skill Sniper 8Gb: $49.99

DVD Burner: $20.00

PSU: Did all the math, and honestly you could get away with a 450 Watt PSU. I have been very impressed by Corsair, given your lower budget i would look at the builder series. A CORSAIR Builder Series CX 500 (500 watts) would be plently. If i wanted to give myself some head-room for future upgrades i would recommend a A CORSAIR Builder Series CX 600 (600 watts).

Corsair CX600: $70

Total Cost (with the beefier DCII 560Ti GPU) $699 or $639 with the 6870.

This build doesn't include a aftermarket heat-sink.
EDIT: Cooler: Did some more reading, all reviews seem to point to that the Cooler Master GeminII S is the best CPU cooler that will fit in that case. It will make your computer while overclock about 30 Celcius cooler than the stock heatsink. Here is a review -->http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cm_geminiis/4.htm . Good new is that is also costs $35. I'd say it's worth going a little bit over budget to add this.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
205 Posts
As a group of overclocker's I figured that everything MUST BE unlocked. so everything here is ready and unlocked. The CPU could have a cooler on it I recommend corsair's line up of H60 sounds good.
I decided to have in the mix the OS, and made sure you saved more than your budget so you can buy bf3 to test it out (just kidding, I saved money because every dime counts, and under budget means more smiles all around) !

CPU (Central Processing Unit)-FX-4100 (119.99)-I was leaning towards a sandy bridge, but this is basically in my mind a hardware version of hyper-threaded dual-core (modules have 2 "cores" in them). Plus, it's unlocked!

Motherboard-ASUS M5A88-M AMD 880G AM3+ (109.99)-As having a faulty motherboard many of times I have found the better the board the better the system. This is future-proof, plus if you convert later on to AMD Radeon (I put a Ge-force in this hot-rod), you can do hybrid! It also has 4 DIMM DDR3 slots so you can have the upgrade path of a ATX with the size of a Micro-ATX!

RAM-Patriot G2 Series (34.99)-It takes up only 2 DIMM slots allowing you to add double later on! Plus patriot is a trusted retailer giving you a name you can put money behind!

Optical Drive-Samsung SH-222AB/BEBE (17.99)-Samsung has been in this business for so long I know they make good products so here it is! It does everything you need it, too.

OS-Window 7 (100.00-if you own it already you save a hundred bucks, if you don't you have a OS!))-You need a OS, you just need one! It's that plain and simple truth!

Power Supply-OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply (59.99)-It's 700 watt's of power, enough to over-clock, plus it is modular. plus made by a trusted manufacturer.

GPU-ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1G (132.99)-This video card, why not sound like the best will run BF3 Ultra at 900p at 40-60, all playable! best part is that it is made for overclocking! It can run High at 1080p at 80fps if you ever upgrade the monitor.

Money out of pocket:
119.99-CPU
109.99-Mobo
34.99-RAM
17.99-Optical Drive
100.99-Windows 7
59.99-PSU
132.99-GPU
=576.93

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Some critique
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwt226 View Post

Power Supply-OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply (59.99)-It's 700 watt's of power, enough to over-clock, plus it is modular. plus made by a trusted manufacturer.
He needs alteast 430 watts for his PC to function properly without having to worry. 450 would be cutting it close. 500 watts would be a good recommendation. 600 watts would give him plenty of headroom for future upgrades. 700 watts is just silly and necessary, we would never use more than half of his power supplies output.

If he had a GTX 570/580/590, that 700 PSU would be a better fit. The 550Ti doesn't need that much power. In case you question, here is a power supply calculator --> http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Anyways, that Power Supply-OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply is regularly $130.00, not $59.99 unless you get it on super-sale somewhere. Not only that, it has dual 12 rails @ 25 amps, while the corsair i picked out has a single rail @ 40A. Hope you like balancing your load across multiple rails! OCZ is a "trusted manufacturer" but they are rather new at designing power supplies com paired to the other companies.

I agree with jacobwt226 that the FX-4100 isn't a bad idea, and it's better than the I3. The FX-4100 (or most AMD solutions) will leave you a little under budget. If your going Intel, pony up the extra cash for the I5. The I5 is far better than any AMD on the market, just it will push you really close to going over budget. It's really personal preference. The I5 i will admit, is a bit overkill.

OP, what's your opinion on all this?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree in some area and totally in another, first off. the 750w PSU fits the criteria of the case, plus I get all of the prices off of tigerdirect. OCZ has been doing it long enough to know how to make a good PSU, plus good customer service. and a fx-8100, would smoke the I5 in test. due to lack of hyper-threading (which would make it a I7 instead of a I5). Plus my build goes under budget, yours cuts it close and a 6870 makes no sense. a 560 non-ti could smoke it in most tests! in the CPU $330 on a cpu is going over enough to say no, so it would have to be a I5 but for same price AMD smokes it. plus AM3+ will be around for awhile giving future upgrades easily! the power supply is because i heard reports of the more watts amd's cpu have the faster they go and the higher they overclock, plus asus allows voltage tweak, and being a DirctCUII have cooling for a 1ghz overclock! plus 900p monitor prices end at about $150 your paying twice that for the GPU! The 550 ti can run ultra at 900p easily. plus because of the Micro-ATX favoring a likeness to 990X it will have no trouble with Nvidia at all! I think a non-stock cooler on cpu would be a smart buy for a later on or add on to one of ours build. nether of us added a non-stock cooler! There is my argument as it stands. "I respect your reality but substitute my own!"-Adam Savage

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

This PSU is not a true 700W. If you do some googling and find some pictures of the actual label you will find out that only 552W of actual power makes it to the 12V rails.

@ OP. Get an i5-2500K for your CPU. It is the best gaming CPU especially considering it's low price point of around $200.

EDIT: Also the guy suggesting a 550Ti is way wrong. A 550Ti is a significant downgrade from a 560Ti. I would get the 560Ti or 6870 depending on how much budget you have left after everything else. Both of them should come close if not max out BF3 @ ultra on 900p.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
and he only wants to spend 650 bucks and a I5 is not in that territory on it, plus then the 8-core STILL makes more sense! and he is only playing on a 900p monitor (and only on high preset)! If you check Geforce.com you will see a 550 ti gets enough 40 on ultra at 1050p well above the 900p so it can run at what he wants to do and saves him 100 bucks. am I the ONLY ONE here who thinks that money saved is good. It will run, and plus the one i specified can run at 1Ghz so it will run faster than stock by almost 100Mhz! Plus the DirectCUII also has benefits (it is made to overclock and run overclocked!)! and the 700 watt even if it is only 550 watts it will still run great! plus OCZ can make a good PSU! and the AM3+ is going to be around at least 4 more years! 1155 may last not even 1 more year, not many future upgrades there. so a better upgrading path, plus more performance is not needed! Let's face it, spending $250 to run a $90 monitor is kinda not the best spending of money on a videocard!

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

and he only wants to spend 650 bucks and a I5 is not in that territory on it, plus then the 8-core STILL makes more sense! and he is only playing on a 900p monitor (and only on high preset)! If you check Geforce.com you will see a 550 ti gets enough 40 on ultra at 1050p well above the 900p so it can run at what he wants to do and saves him 100 bucks. am I the ONLY ONE here who thinks that money saved is good. It will run, and plus the one i specified can run at 1Ghz so it will run faster than stock by almost 100Mhz! Plus the DirectCUII also has benefits (it is made to overclock and run overclocked!)! and the 700 watt even if it is only 550 watts it will still run great! plus OCZ can make a good PSU! and the AM3+ is going to be around at least 4 more years! 1155 may last not even 1 more year, not many future upgrades there. so a better upgrading path, plus more performance is not needed! Let's face it, spending $250 to run a $90 monitor is kinda not the best spending of money on a videocard!
The i5-2500K is $20 more on Newegg. It hardly makes more sense to go with an FX processor. I am not even going to bother reading the rest of that paragraph since it's one big clutter of nonsense.

i5-2500K: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

FX 8120: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
jacobwt226,

The I-5 2500K smokes the FX-8100.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-17.html

Here you can see that the I5 is 40% faster than the FX-8150 (which should perform close to a FX-8100) while encoding on Itunes. Using handbrake and MainConcept, the FX is 10% faster than the I5.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-12.html

Here you can see that the I5 benchmarks 22% higher than the FX-8150.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-18.html

Here you can see in games, that the I5 gives you 1.5 more fps than the FX-8150

How on earth is the AMD faster other than a few media encoding applications?

All that being said jacobwt226,...you are right about the I5 really pushing the limit's of OP's budget. Your build is much more budget friendly.

Regarding the 550Ti ....he wants 60 fps or more, not 40 fps or more. I am not saying that the 550 Ti is bad, it just doesn't make the requirements.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I play on high settings at 1920x1080 on my sig rig (6870 and Phenom 955), just went to play at 1600x900 in a 64 player server on Caspian Border. The frame rate was in the 50-60 range for the most part with the GPU usage staying up at 95-100%. Based off this, since you want to stay 60fps+ I would say going AMD for the processor/mobo and getting a slightly better graphics card would be a good way to go. Here's my suggestion:

CPU: AMD 960T Zosma - $115 (free shipping) @ Newegg. This is a quad Core phenom at 3.0ghz but is a locked Thuban. Should have no trouble overclocking it to beat out the Deneb based phenoms. (Can also potentially unlock to a hex core, but gaming gains would be minimal and I wouldn't push it on an mATX board (4+1 phase).

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 - $93 (shipping included)@ Newegg. AM3+ matx board. Best one I could find that will still let you overclock (pretty much all the matx boards are 4+1 phase vrms). I would add some heatsinks to the mosfets though just to be safe before OCing. There is an ASUS board that could also work m5a88-m that costs about $107 after shipping.

PSU: Rosewill Hive 550w - $70 (free shipping) Newegg
or OCZ ZT Series 750w - $65 AR + shippingNCIX. Both are modular power supplies, which I figured would be beneficial since you probably won't have a ton of room to be hiding cables in your case. Both have good reviews, honestly the 550w will be more than enough to power your machine, but it's worth mentioning the 750w OCZ is fully modular. It does have a MIR though which might make it not worth it.

DVD: $20 - Not hard to find for $20 or less anywhere.

RAM: 8GB Kingston Hyperx Blu -$30 (after $5 rebate) - Newegg - BF3 likes lots of ram and it's cheap so go for 8gb. You don't need this kit specificall, but it's the cheapest one I could find. I am personally fond of the ripjaws series, they also run at 1.5v instead of 1.65v.

GPU - $220-250$ Radeon 6950 - I think the 6950 with the 960T OC'd to 3.6-3.8ghz and 2400 cpu/nb will give you a nice balance that will stay at the 60fps+ mark. You should be fine with one of the 1gb models since you're playing at such a low resolution, but if one of the 2gb models is cheap enough you might as well go for the better one.

Total: 115 + 93 + 70 + 20 + 30 + 250 = 578

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
i5-2500K: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072 $220

ASRock Extreme3 Gen3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271 $122

8GB G.SKILL RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428 $47

TX650: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020 $90 (Quality PSU w/ 624W on the 12v rails)

Radeon 6870: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948 $165

Total: $644

There are also some MIR in there that'll add some savings. You can get a cheaper PSU if you like & If you really wanted to you could probably grab a 6950 used instead of buying a 6870 new and still maintain your budget while staying on the Intel platform.

You want to play BF3? That game is pretty CPU intensive & the i5-2500K has a much higher IPC (Instruction Per Clock) than anything AMD can offer. I went from a 1090T @ 4.2GHz/3GHz NB with GTX 460's in SLI to a i5-2500K with the same 460's in SLI and noticed a 10-20 FPS jump in BF3 @ 1920x1080p while running the same settings. It played much smoother after the change. Spend your money wisely and get the Intel chip. At this point in time the price is very similar for a more than noticeable difference in performance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the info guys and after a little bit more research I've ordered my build and got all of it but my psu in yesterday after I get it finished I'll upload pics. But here are the specs-
Amd 955BE, 4gb crucial ballistix memory, 500gb western digital hd, 32gb patriot ssd, msi 890gxm-g65 motherboard, linksys wireless card,
Thermaltake armor a30 LAN box, galaxy gtx460 gc 1gb video card, 500 watt rocketfish 80plus modular psu, and a logisys beta 200st cooler.

Thanks again for all of the help

·
Premium Member
15,117 Posts
OP ..get the 2500K
as for the motherboard..eh..i'm not recommending any AsRock products
i have 2 dead pro3-ms
i suppose you could go with that.
IF you don't want to clock high
there's also the asus micro-atx board with 4+1-2 power phase.
maximus4 gene-z would be much better,though

·
Registered
205 Posts
I find that very rude, plus your forgetting something important. Amd AM3+ socket has 5 or more years left. 1155 will last at most 1.5 years. so the he makes the better upgrade path. I find it funny how everyone here is arguing about something off topic. These post are here to help make him make a decision. not go buy a mac! I mean seriously, whats the difference other than the FX can overclock to 4.8 Ghz? And remember that AMD will have better support then Intel in the future. I mean if your arguing whats better he should just buy a $1000 6-core and call it's quits right?! This is about what returns the favor, amd will have upgrades and support, Intel will laugh for not going to the 2011 socket. "Sorry your out of luck." I am not here to argue benchmarks. i5 can run 4 treads FX 8. and what is so important about the CPU?! I mean seriously, He mentioned BF3, that means shooter. Shooters don't need a good CPU, and the 8-core is more future proof. If you open a thread and want to debate I will but I believe the FX-8100 is better than a i5!

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Quote:

I find that very rude, plus your forgetting something important. Amd AM3+ socket has 5 or more years left. 1155 will last at most 1.5 years. so the he makes the better upgrade path. I find it funny how everyone here is arguing about something off topic. These post are here to help make him make a decision. not go buy a mac! I mean seriously, whats the difference other than the FX can overclock to 4.8 Ghz? And remember that AMD will have better support then Intel in the future. I mean if your arguing whats better he should just buy a $1000 6-core and call it's quits right?! This is about what returns the favor, amd will have upgrades and support, Intel will laugh for not going to the 2011 socket. "Sorry your out of luck." I am not here to argue benchmarks. i5 can run 4 treads FX 8. and what is so important about the CPU?! I mean seriously, He mentioned BF3, that means shooter. Shooters don't need a good CPU, and the 8-core is more future proof. If you open a thread and want to debate I will but I believe the FX-8100 is better than a i5!
The i5 DESTROYS the FX-8150 in gaming. Like it or not. I don't like it, but I've long since assumed it.

If you're getting an FX processor, get a Thuban instead. X4 960T. Outperforms the FX-8150 in gaming and is $100 cheaper. Also,it has the ability to unlock to a 6-core.

But like it or not, the 2500k is the best processor for gaming by far in terms of performance per dollar.

Oh, and BF3 is rather taxing on the CPU, FYI.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

You are very ignorant.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts