Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I had my motherboard on the desk I noticed that the onboard marvell gigabit lan chip (connected and running at gigabit) is getting a toasty 65C even when the computer is powered off. The only way to get it to cool is to disconnect the power supply, after which is it cold almost instantly. It's so hot that I can only touch it for about 2 seconds before it stings. Is that bad?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36

While I had my motherboard on the desk I noticed that the onboard marvell gigabit lan chip (connected and running at gigabit) is getting a toasty 65C even when the computer is powered off. The only way to get it to cool is to disconnect the power supply, after which is it cold almost instantly. It's so hot that I can only touch it for about 2 seconds before it stings. Is that bad?

What about unplugging the lan cable? Humm I can understand that it is running that hot due to running gigabit 24/7, try some thermal pase or something like that, to see if it will cool down, or try getting a passive Heatsink. Frozencpu.com sells passive heatsinks for MOSFET's and that will work with your lan chip. (artic silver epoxy recommended if you choose that route)

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

What about unplugging the lan cable? Humm I can understand that it is running that hot due to running gigabit 24/7, try some thermal pase or something like that, to see if it will cool down, or try getting a passive Heatsink. Frozencpu.com sells passive heatsinks for MOSFET's and that will work with your lan chip. (artic silver epoxy recommended if you choose that route)

Well unplugging it out since it's my only connection and it's used all the time. Maybe I will go for a small heatsink since I think it's too hot to last long like this. Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.