Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
100+ fps
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at these cards for my brother:

Asus GTX 660 Direct CU II TOP vs Asus GTX 660 Ti Direct CU II TOP
Both are 1137 MHz with boost..

Is it worth paying 70$ more for the 660 Ti?

And is the TOP version worth it (15$) I've read that Kepler boost higher when temps are low anyway? Why is the boost clock only 1137 MHz then? Does it exceed this in games?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,241 Posts
Check out this thread:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/13/asus_geforce_gtx_660_directcu_ii_video_card_review/11#.USI8iKDt1a8

There is definitely a pretty significant difference between the cards, its just up to you to determine if the pricing difference per performance matters to you. IMO I would go for the better card if you have the $$, but that's just me
smile.gif


The 660 ti ends up being ~ 20% faster to do some pricing:

The Asus GTX 660 Direct CU II TOP is ~ $250, with 20% increase in pricing it would be $300, meaning that if the 660ti is $320 which makes it 28% more expensive for 20% increase in performance, which would still be worth it
smile.gif
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Tohru Rokuno

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lass3 View Post

Looking at these cards for my brother:

Asus GTX 660 Direct CU II TOP vs Asus GTX 660 Ti Direct CU II TOP
Both are 1137 MHz with boost..

Is it worth paying 70$ more for the 660 Ti?

And is the TOP version worth it (15$) I've read that Kepler boost higher when temps are low anyway? Why is the boost clock only 1137 MHz then? Does it exceed this in games?
Get a 7950 , same price , better performance and OC's like a beast
thumb.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,034 Posts
yes. definitely worth it. the GTX 660 Ti has 40% more shaders than GTX 660 ( 960 x 1.4 = 1344) . at the same clocks with overclocking the perf gap is anywhere between 20 - 25%. GTX 660 Ti scales better than GTX 660 with overclocking. the extra core (ROPs) and memory speed (bandwidth) feed the 40% more shaders and scale perf better. GTX 660 Ti OC is on par with stock GTX 670.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/17/asus_geforce_gtx_660_ti_directcu_ii_top_review/5

also do you want a Nvidia card only. because for the same price a HD 7950 boost will match GTX 670. the HD 7950 boost has more oc headroom and brilliant perf scaling with overclocks. plus you get 2 AAA games .

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost/31.html
 

·
100+ fps
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

Check out this thread:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/13/asus_geforce_gtx_660_directcu_ii_video_card_review/11#.USI8iKDt1a8

There is definitely a pretty significant difference between the cards, its just up to you to determine if the pricing difference per performance matters to you. IMO I would go for the better card if you have the $$, but that's just me
smile.gif
I see. 660 Ti seems much better yes. There is really alot of difference depending of what review im reading -.- Sometimes it's 10%, others say 20-25%.. Maybe i'll just grab the non-TOP 660 Ti then
thumb.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhavocman View Post

Get a 7950 , same price , better performance and OC's like a beast
thumb.gif
Actually 7950 is more expensive, and from what i read alot louder than Asus Direct CU II cards. The 7950 DCII TOP card is 50$ more than 660 Ti TOP here and dosnt even come with the gamebundle anyway.

My brother hates noise, he is using 5v noctuas only + seasonic fanless PSU. The Asus GTX 660-660Ti (and 670) should be some of the quietest and coolest cards available (25dB idle/26dB load). So I think I'm gonna stick with these. More power is not needed anyway i think, silence is more important for him thats for sure
redface.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Yeah, it's worth it as the performance increase is quite noticeable. I'd get a 7950 though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 via Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,034 Posts
actually the HIS HD 7950 iceq x2 boost has one of the best coolers. you can ask in the HD 7900 users thread. but the card is long at 31.1 cm. so you need to see if it will fit in the case. the Sapphire HD 7950 boost (29 cm) is also a good option.
 

·
100+ fps
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratcat View Post

Why only Asus? The one raghu mentioned is His IceQ x2 which is quiet and cool.
TPU says 33dB idle and 39dB load. The Asus DCII cards are 23dB idle and 26dB load, using same testing:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost/27.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_660_Direct_Cu_II/26.html

Not quite the same
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

actually the HIS HD 7950 iceq x2 boost has one of the best coolers. you can ask in the HD 7900 users thread. but the card is long at 31.1 cm. so you need to see if it will fit in the case. the Sapphire HD 7950 boost (29 cm) is also a good option.
Tests shows much higher dB and max lengh is 29.5cm. Looked at Vapor-X and Dual-X/Flex too, they are nowhere near the noise level of the Asus DCII Kepler cards from what i can see.. Like 10dB louder..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lass3 View Post

Wrong link, it was the GTX 660

But 660 Ti is pretty much the same: 1dB more at idle.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_660_Ti_Direct_Cu_II/27.html
You can't really compare the Asus DC2 cooler to any other cooler simply because it is the most quiet cooler on the market , there are coolers who try to compete with the asus but still don't manage to do so , the gigabyte is very quiet , the msi frozr and lightning are very quiet , the only cooler that comes really close to the asus dc2 in terms of noise is the EVGA SIgnature 2 cooler
thumb.gif
 

·
100+ fps
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justhavocman View Post

You can't really compare the Asus DC2 cooler to any other cooler simply because it is the most quiet cooler on the market , there are coolers who try to compete with the asus but still don't manage to do so , the gigabyte is very quiet , the msi frozr and lightning are very quiet , the only cooler that comes really close to the asus dc2 in terms of noise is the EVGA SIgnature 2 cooler
thumb.gif
Yeah and he def. prefer low noise over performance. The EVGA Sig 2 is more expensive than Asus 660 Ti TOP so im gonna stick with Asus
smile.gif
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top