Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MSI 6600GT is acting funny. After doing any kind of graphics-intensive application (ATI Tool most recently) an error message pops up saying the Sentinel detected that my card isn't getting sufficient power and is slowing itself down to keep from damaging the card. Here's the screen shot:

The only problem is, the card doesn't have an external power connector. There's nothing I can "plug in" to give it more power. What should I do??

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Hmm, no power connector you say? That's wierd. Up the AGP voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 and see if that makes a differance.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tested the voltages on all of my "rails" with a multimeter and they're all completely stable. None of the software's volt reedings (less the vCore) are accurate. That's why it's so tough for me to weed out this problem. I wonder if there's a way to disable the Sentinel that monitors these... This is the only problem I'm having. The performance is great (just look at the nVidia Benchmarks...) and the temps are fine. I measure the vGPU with a DMM and it's stable, and withing specs. Where should I look next?

·
Premium Member
10,417 Posts
If it's not SMOKING or smelling BURNT...look away...I fried a temp sensor on my DFI board and to this day it says 127°c...but at the others are less than 31°
!

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pandapimp
Check to see if your pci ex power is connected to the card. I forgot to do that yesterday lol.

Doesn't have one.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
niether of mine have PCIe cables and i found that disturbing when i opened the first one. I emailed XFX several times before i installed it just to make sure my card wasn't FUBAR out of the factory. I had one getting incorrect voltages, but it was after a month, and i don't know how MSI's warrenty service works.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The card has worked perfectly (better than I expected) for a long time, just recently has this error popped up. I've tried pulling the card out, re-seating it, and all that... Nothing has helped. Where does the card get it's power? Obviously it's the PCI-Express slot, but which pin? Maybe the card is "tweaked" in a way that it's not getting good contact. I'll do some checking...

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pandapimp

So the card is just in the pci-ex slot? In other words do you just have to pull it out to get it out of the case?

Just unhook the monitor, take out the screw, and pull the card out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts