Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, i just want to know if my AGP card is dead. Well, i just reapplied thermal pastes to the core and tightened the heatsink because of the unusual peak in temperatures. At my first boot, which lasted for about 3-4hours, the temps went down from 85C to about 60C on full load. Unfortunately, the next morning i tried to play NFS Most wanted, my PC crashed with all the artifacts and freezes. I restarted and at boot screen, there were artifacts already where in I haven't even got to log-on to XP. I hope you guys can help me identify if my card is already dead. i tried to check everything physically on the card and everything seems fine except when I run it. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm pretty sure the card is not dead... Maybe you didn't install the heatsink on right and its just artifcating because its overheating... So uninstall it then try to reinstall it again..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already tried to reinstall the heatsinks. but even with the temps down, the card crashes my PC a lot of times, makingmy PC useless. what do you think should i check?

·

29,532 Posts
Your card could well be dead since if it overheats once, it is often 100% dead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the card was fine until I reapplied the paste and reinstalled the heatsinks. I used alcohol and cotton to clean the surface of the card. Did I cause some major short-circuit-like effect on the card's components? I think my card didn't overheat that much. Could you please give some more advice on what I should do? My card's warranty is already off for i have this card for more than a year now.

·
Here longer than mods lol
3,800 Posts
How much maste did you put on, amybe you got paste on some other part apart for the chip, and what kind of paste are you using? as5 is good but if that gets anywhere else it could do that by making a contact

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think i made sure i only applied the paste on the core and not let it go over the edge. Yup i used as5. the core has a foam like thing around and i think i have accidentally put on some of those, do you think this is the reason?

·
Here longer than mods lol
3,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanjave
View Post

I think i made sure i only applied the paste on the core and not let it go over the edge. Yup i used as5. the core has a foam like thing around and i think i have accidentally put on some of those, do you think this is the reason?

How do you mean? a foam like thing around, my bro has the same card and I dont remember it.....oh got to go poker tourney started, back when I lose
LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think i'll reapply and reinstall everything and check again. i'll clean the surface out and dry some, .. hmmmm, if it's a short circuit, how do i fix it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got the same problem too. My 6600GT idles at 73C and everytime I try to play NFS Carbon (or any other game for that matter) the computer freezes. I've tried everything - thermal paste, tightening the heatsink, cleaning it bit by bit.. nothing helps.

·
Premium Member
9,786 Posts
i never had any problems with my 6600gt. it ran at 50C max......and i dont think at ran at that.

What make are your 6600gt's......ae you sure its not a software problem? try different drivers.

What are you case temps and ambients?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts