Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could a 6600gt run on a 300watt psu? I saw that an oc BFG 6800 could run on 300, so im guessing the 6600gt can too?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
It's all relative to what crap you have in computer, if you have a bunch of hard drives and CD/DVD roms it may not work, but I'd say you'd be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
It's hard to imagine a "modern" computer (meaning one that makes sense to place a current generation video card) sufficing on only 300W, though. Isn't the bare minimum that the crap retailers include 350W these days?

SOmeone posted a link a while back in the PSU forum to a site that helped you figure out what size PSU you needed based on the components in your PC. Maybe you can search that forum and dig up that link.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
i got 520 watt psu... will it be sufficient to run 1 PATA and 1 SATA hdd, an overclocked Northwood 2.8, an abit AI7, nvidia fx 5200 overclocked, a sound card, and a fax modem card? and will it hold up to a future graffics card? like a 6600 size?

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
A 520w PSU is sufficient to run almost any normal home configuration imaginable. Until you start throwing a dozen hard drive or optical drives into a file server, you should be fine.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VulcanDragon
A 520w PSU is sufficient to run almost any normal home configuration imaginable. Until you start throwing a dozen hard drive or optical drives into a file server, you should be fine.
If I use the calculating program for may future server including 10HDD, 2 optical bays, ATI X800 AMD64 3600+ and lots of other stuff. It said I only needed 524 watts. So, if you dont have 10HDD (@ 25W per HDD) you could add a ton of stuff before you go over 520W.

·
Registered
698 Posts
that Supply Calculator is quite possibly the coolest thing EVER. Even cooler than Calculus!
(wow im such a geek).

yeah a 300 Watt wont cut it for a 6600GT but Aspire makes a decent PSU in a 500 watt flavor for 60 or 70. Now some people have had problems with it, but in my experence it has worked great and never given me any trouble, plus it looks sweet.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denmor
that Supply Calculator is quite possibly the coolest thing EVER. Even cooler than Calculus!
(wow im such a geek).

yeah a 300 Watt wont cut it for a 6600GT but Aspire makes a decent PSU in a 500 watt flavor for 60 or 70. Now some people have had problems with it, but in my experence it has worked great and never given me any trouble, plus it looks sweet.
I don't trust that calculator further than I can throw it, it said I'd be fine on a 285watt power supply and my 520 can't even cut it. It's always good to remember theres much more to a power supply other than its rated wattage. Current is a big factor, if you run multiple devices on a single line they'll suck so much current that devices down the line may not have enough.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So would the 1 from aspire fit into that emachines case? And it is it easy to hook up a reconnect things to the power when installing a new psu?

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesT
So would the 1 from aspire fit into that emachines case? And it is it easy to hook up a reconnect things to the power when installing a new psu?
Any normal PSU should fit into any normal case. A non-standard sized PSU would be advertised as such, I would hope.

And yes, it is easy to plug everything back in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts