Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

I just got installed new system and my CPU VID seems to be too high in CPU-Z... You can see it in my signature.

It's 1.4v by default. I haven't done any overclocking or tweaking. Shouldn't the system use the default Vcore of the CPU?

EDIT: In BIOS the voltage is set to AUTO and I see it reads 1.232

ASUS can't be that ******ed right? I mean it shouldn't come with a default setting that gives CPU more voltage than Intel recommends.

EDIT2: Interesting. This seems to be an issue in the CPU-Z itself. ıt can't read my Vcore accurately. ASUS Utility reads the voltage actually quite low.

·
Overclocked
3,904 Posts
A friend of mine has the same problem. His 6700K (Made in Vietnam) has a default Vcore of 1.408V and can go as high as 1.472V during stress tests. His mobo is Hero VIII though. We had very little hope in OCing this CPU due to its ridiculously high Vcore , but we managed to get 4.5 Core/Cache stable at stock voltage and by setting Load Line Calibration to Level 5. This prevented the voltage from spiking to 1.456V-1.472V during load and the CPU run at a constant 1.408V all the time, the mobo defaults LLC to level 8 or 7 iirc. We also tried undervolting, but the CPU didn't like the voltage any lower.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further testing in several apps revealed that, the vcore indeed goes up to v1.4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessKnight View Post

A friend of mine has the same problem. His 6700K (Made in Vietnam) has a default Vcore of 1.408V and can go as high as 1.472V during stress tests. His mobo is Hero VIII though. We had very little hope in OCing this CPU due to its ridiculously high Vcore , but we managed to get 4.5 Core/Cache stable at stock voltage and by setting Load Line Calibration to Level 5. This prevented the voltage from spiking to 1.456V-1.472V during load and the CPU run at a constant 1.408V all the time, the mobo defaults LLC to level 8 or 7 iirc. We also tried undervolting, but the CPU didn't like the voltage any lower.
The thing is my Vcore is not high at all. It's around 1.20. It just jumps to a higher value under stress. I believe that has to do with a stupid motherboard option.

·
Registered
224 Posts
High Vcore voltage at stock settings = terrible example of the breed. Meaning you will have a terrible over clocker. I'd RMA or return it and try again to get a good one.

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Quote:
High Vcore voltage at stock settings = terrible example of the breed. Meaning you will have a terrible over clocker. I'd RMA or return it and try again to get a good one.
Many 6700k's have these stock voltages, especially when the board overrides stock settings to put max turbo boost on all cores. It's not a great or even a good indication of CPU quality - you can usually set them to around average or even above average overclocks while maintaining or lowering that voltage.

@OP if you don't like the voltage, set a different one

1 - 5 of 5 Posts