Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giving my Apollo rig to my girlfriend and it needs a card. Curious what I should go with. Specs are on the Apollo rig build under my builds. Whats good for the price and wont be to much of a bottleneck on the e6700. I had my old 6970 on it before my new build and the new build performs about 50% faster in games.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Depends what she want's to use it for? If she is going to do any gaming on it I'd be tempted to go for a 6870 since you can get them really cheap if you shop around and they will handle most games well.

On a side note, you can add extra rig's at the bottom of your signature in your settings if you wanted to (in case you didn't know you could).

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,842 Posts
Resolution is also important, if it's gonna be less than 1080p or 1600x1200 then 67xx series makes more sense.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by olli3 View Post

Depends what she want's to use it for? If she is going to do any gaming on it I'd be tempted to go for a 6870 since you can get them really cheap if you shop around and they will handle most games well.
On a side note, you can add extra rig's at the bottom of your signature in your settings if you wanted to (in case you didn't know you could).
+rep fixed thank you
thumb.gif

It will still be a gaming rig of course, Although the resolution she will be playing on is undecided may or may not get a new monitor, I was originally gonna give this current build to her and upgrade to 2011, but ivy bridge looks promising so I may wait a little as I don't like doing builds very often. With that in mind there's no telling how long she may have the build for, and if I monitor upgrade she'll get this one or if I can find a good deal ill prolly get her a new one, for now though it will just be a 17" 1280x1024 monitor nothing fancy.

Also the board is Xfire ready so xfire is a viable option, As I would like to get as much performance out of it as possible. Resale value isn't to big a deal as I have plenty of people to resell parts to (Friends/Family). All i'm worried about is when ill hit that bottleneck wall and how close to it I can get? If I can run 2 67xx with a tiny bottleneck and it will outperform a single 68xx Series which hasn't reached a bottleneck then I will.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Definitely either a 6850/6870. They're great cards for 1080p gaming, any less tan that and you'll have trouble getting 30 fps with high texture settings.

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
for now though it will just be a 17" 1280x1024 monitor nothing fancy.

Also the board is Xfire ready so xfire is a viable option, As I would like to get as much performance out of it as possible. Resale value isn't to big a deal as I have plenty of people to resell parts to (Friends/Family). All i'm worried about is when ill hit that bottleneck wall and how close to it I can get? If I can run 2 67xx with a tiny bottleneck and it will outperform a single 68xx Series which hasn't reached a bottleneck then I will.
At that resolution, there's no point to go crossfire with 2 67xx as it will cost more and double the power consumption. Either 6850 or 6870 is good enough for that system.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to have a 3870x2 in it and I could of sworn it performed better then the 6970 =/.

EDIT** @ ken what about a sinlge card now then adding in another later if monitor gets upgraded? How would a single 67xx perform by itself at those resolutions. Everything else maxed, and it will mostly be older games, with mods. Newest would prolly be skyrim, but from skyrim it would jump down to the fallouts in age. It performed well enough back then with a 3870x2 it didn't overkill but it ran everything in acceptable frames even with HQ texture mods.

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,842 Posts
1280x1024
1440x900

6770/90 is enough.

1920x1080
1600x1200

6850/70 is enough.

However if you have the money, go for 6870. You can go crossfire later when you upgrade to a better monitor.

PS: In february, 78xx series coming, should lower 68xx prices.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My vote is for the 6870. Pretty cheap and handles games well. Then when/if she upgrades to a different monitor, and if you lack power, throw another one in there. They are awesome price/performance cards.
thumb.gif

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,842 Posts
They are awesome as performance/price and also performance/power(watts).

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,842 Posts
Bottleneck would be severe with AMD 69xx or better/similar Nvidia. However you are better off with AMD because Nvidia cards need more cpu power.

Check the PSU too, if enough go for a 6870, it should handle all eye-candy settings at 1280x1024 / 1440x900 and even 1680x1050 with most eye-candy.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The build is in my sig, I don't think anyone looked at it
tongue.gif
. I wouldn't go for nvidia anyways its an older motherboard which is meant for xfire not sli. Still haven't had the question answered I see a lot of opinions, but not really any hard facts about how much bottleneck it'd get out of the cards I'm looking at. As my 6970 was obviously a bottleneck I am rather curious as to how much of a difference it would be to a 6870 or 6790/Xfire 6770 or even a 6850. Or perhaps even 1 6770 would get bottle necked Idk how well new tech scales with older tech
thinking.gif

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's odd my 3.6 OC e6700 Conroe looks like it got more FPS on a higher resolution with all the pretty's enabled then their 3.4ghz wolfdale with no pretties and a lower resolution. And that was with a 3870x2 with pixel erros...What does it mean?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea thats what i figured after having the 6970 in it compared to the 3870x2 I'm still rather undecided though, I suppose the 6870 could be saved for a later update.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts