Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Probably just a dud OC'er card.

Some people get lucky and are able to hit high OC's, my 680 only got +40mhz above core before it would crash, ended up returning it and sticking with my 580 for a good while.

As long as the card runs on stock clocks, thats what you pay for, anything else is a bonus, so its not RMA'able, or possibly not returnable depending on where you bought it. If the card can't pass haven on stock clocks and settings, then I would think you should be able to get an exchange.

but just make sure you force the voltage at 1.175 or whatever the highest is at, and set the power to 130%, and start to slowly increase the core.

i'm sure you found out that the voltage is locked in these series (hardware locked) which is another reason why I stuck with my 580, pump enough power in it, and i've seen it climb to 975mhz.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adjusting the voltage on the 680 does nothing. Sorry but I don't trust your advice that its a dud card. It runs BF3 at ultra settings at 110fps, and its a super clock edition. It runs fine at higher settings just not switching on the fly during benchmarks. I'm thinking a drivers issue. (using the beta drivers)

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcenvy88 View Post

Adjusting the voltage on the 680 does nothing. Sorry but I don't trust your advice that its a dud card. It runs BF3 at ultra settings at 110fps, and its a super clock edition. It runs fine at higher settings just not switching on the fly during benchmarks. I'm thinking a drivers issue. (using the beta drivers)
Why would it's stock performance show if it was a dud overclocker or not? Confused.

The 680's have no voltage control, you set TDP to 132 and you adjust the core. If it crashes it's not stable and you won't be able to overclock it anymore. It's as simple as that. The drivers tend to crash if your overclock is unstable, it's not due to drivers, it's how the 680 handles unstable overclocks. =/

If it crashes when you are adjusting overclocks, then stop the test before adjusting your overclock again.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

Why would it's stock performance show if it was a dud overclocker or not? Confused.
The 680's have no voltage control, you set TDP to 132 and you adjust the core. If it crashes it's not stable and you won't be able to overclock it anymore. It's as simple as that. The drivers tend to crash if your overclock is unstable, it's not due to drivers, it's how the 680 handles unstable overclocks. =/
If it crashes when you are adjusting overclocks, then stop the test before adjusting your overclock again.
I said it's fine on high settings it just can't switch on the fly... I also said to the first replier that there is a voltage control but it does nothing for these reference 680's. I have to say I am really disappointed with this 680 SC on its ability to overclock. Can't get anywhere near 1300 for a clock speed

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Also confused...

You know some cards oc very well, and others don't right?

if your card runs haven at stock specs, then the card itself is fine, but just a poor overclocker.

if i'm misunderstanding you, please let me know...

EDIT: you are not guarenteed even 1mhz over stock clock ( or the spec OC clocks posted on the box ), not all 680's can do 1300 ( ive seen very few that can )
like i said in my first post, you probably just have a bad overclocking card.

Silicon lottery baby. you win some, you loose most.

If you want 1300 core clock, go buy a 7970 and crank up the voltage and put a good cooler on it.

You also need to realise, the 680's are already heavily overclocked from the factory and their original designed specs ( as it was intended to be the 670-ti )

·
Registered
321 Posts
Are you saying that even if you set the offset to +1 and having the TDP slider at +132% you crash during benchmarking?

What does your boost clock get to during benchmarking?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

I said it's fine on high settings it just can't switch on the fly... I also said to the first replier that there is a voltage control but it does nothing for these reference 680's. I have to say I am really disappointed with this 680 SC on its ability to overclock. Can't get anywhere near 1300 for a clock speed
I don't know a single person that got 1300 core on their 680. Check the owners thread, most don't even get 1250, I got 1202 with my SC. SC or not makes no difference. You kind of set yourself up for disappointment if you were expecting much over 1200 core. =/

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Quote:

I understand that. But even if its a "poor overclocker" it should be able to go higher than +50 on the core clock.... this is ridiculous
no it shouldnt.... you must be new here...

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

I understand that. But even if its a "poor overclocker" it should be able to go higher than +50 on the core clock.... this is ridiculous
You said it's fine if you don't adjust the overclock while testing it? So set it to 1200 core (after turbo), and then test it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post

no it shouldnt.... you must be new here...
God you are an *******. Stay off my thread you have poor advice. And you have 122 posts. Wow you're an OCN legend!
Quote:

You said it's fine if you don't adjust the overclock while testing it? So set it to 1200 core (after turbo), and then test it.
yeah I can get 1200 stable... guess I'm sticking with that. Really wanted to reach 1300 though.
mad.gif

If I test with tessellation then I really get screwed. Do people usually run with that on?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
dude, I feel for you, I got a 680 that was a poor overclocker as well, and I did everything I could to it.

the card is technically not defective, but depending on where you bought it, try to see if you can return or exchange it for a different one. But depending on the vender, and with the limited supply of the 680, you may be stuck with the card.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:

I don't know a single person that got 1300 core on their 680. Check the owners thread, most don't even get 1250, I got 1202 with my SC. SC or not makes no difference. You kind of set yourself up for disappointment if you were expecting much over 1200 core. =/
I do have a 680 that OCs to 1320 core, my other 680 can get as high as 1292 before crashing on me...Both are reference cards.....

As for OP... It is true...some cards to OC better than others, I have been very lucky with both of my cards, but i see most usually get from 1180-1250 on core.... Try a more aggressive fan profile to keep temps down and instead of only worrying about core...up the memory speed as well and try to find a balance with them... When i upped the memory speed on my higher clocked card...the core went from 1312 to 1320....This "dynamic" boosting makes OCing it a little trickier than before...

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

yeah I can get 1200 stable... guess I'm sticking with that. Really wanted to reach 1300 though.
mad.gif

If I test with tessellation then I really get screwed. Do people usually run with that on?
If your card can't handle it on max with extreme tessellation then it's not stable. Infact, I found that after doing over 2 hours of heaven loops that I had to back my overclock down more when I started to test other games.

You won't get much (if any) over 1200 core unless you got a good card. I wouldn't suggest setting memory above +300, and i've seen many get worse than that. I've also seen many set it to +500, but memory intensive games like Skyrim will quickly show you that it's not stable, when heaven will loop for ages and have no issues with +500. It really depends on the card though.

I would say average results:
Just set it to 1200 core when turbo is enabled, and set memory to +300. That *should* be stable.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
before you storm off to your room, also know that the turbo boost for the 680 varies card to card, some cards turbo anywhere from 1100-1200, and if you hit 1200 thats not that bad, you can still max out every game out there, unless you have a high res 120hz monitor, or multi monitor set up, I don't think you will be saying "man, 100 more mhz, and this would make this game look so much better"

And I do agree with you, I don't like the locked voltage as well, which is why I went back to my 580, and unless Nvidia changes this in the future, i'm going to switch to team red. at least with the case of a 7970, you should be able to hit 1250+ if you pump enough voltage into it and can keep it cool. So far, there is no official reason why voltage is locked on the 600 series, IMO, its either a cost cutting measure in maufacturing, or trying to reduce the number of RMA's from over cooked units.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by soth7676 View Post

I do have a 680 that OCs to 1320 core, my other 680 can get as high as 1292 before crashing on me...Both are reference cards.....
As for OP... It is true...some cards to OC better than others, I have been very lucky with both of my cards, but i see most usually get from 1180-1250 on core.... Try a more aggressive fan profile to keep temps down and instead of only worrying about core...up the memory speed as well and try to find a balance with them... When i upped the memory speed on my higher clocked card...the core went from 1312 to 1320....This "dynamic" boosting makes OCing it a little trickier than before...
Yeah I'm getting way better results pumping up the Mem speeds more and just keeping the core clock low. Thanks for the info. I got ****ed
frown.gif

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
just another note, if you are monitoring temps and core clock during benchmarking, the 680 does not start to downclock itself until 70c, so try to adjust your fan profile to keep it under 70 if you can. under 70c, watercooling or on air didn't make a difference in OC stability.

and you didn't get (blank)'ed, the 680 is a very good card, You just had your hopes a little high. ( as did I when I bought mine )

1 - 20 of 37 Posts