Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. i really hope you can help me here.

My problem is this.

my current drivers are 78.01
Every time i try to upgrade them, and i mean EVERY TIME, with every version of official drives, my pc will not load windows.

i get the white loading bar of xp, then i get the loading screen of xp. but just before it shows the log in screen,it either reboots itself, or in the latest 84.12 it just stops.
i have tried leaving it for a good 10 mins just to see if it was being slow, but still nothing.

this is really starting to get on my tits because there is no reason for it to do it.

Btw every time i install new drivers i remove the old ones, except this last time where i tried the 84.12, i just installed it over the top.

I am running xp pro sp2, on an amd 2400+ with 1.25Gb ram.
prior to 78.01 i never had any issues.

what do y'all think?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Have you tried using DriverCleaner3 to remove the remnants of the pervious drivers? Uninstall the drivers and then boot into safe mode, use driver cleaner, reboot and then try installing the new drivers. If that doesn't work, probably a clean install of windows would fix it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ste
Have you tried using DriverCleaner3 to remove the remnants of the pervious drivers? Uninstall the drivers and then boot into safe mode, use driver cleaner, reboot and then try installing the new drivers. If that doesn't work, probably a clean install of windows would fix it.
ya like he said go into window by Safemode clean out the old driver and install the new one.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup. ive tried that. still not working.

i have tried drivercleaner in safe mode, then rebooted into safe mode to install the driver. still nothing. also, one other thing i forgot to mention, the computer often crashes while installing the drivers. it will get half way thru then it will make a sound to say new hardware plugged in, then the screen will drop to dos and have just a flashing - in the top corner.
weird.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by weidass
yup. ive tried that. still not working.

i have tried drivercleaner in safe mode, then rebooted into safe mode to install the driver. still nothing. also, one other thing i forgot to mention, the computer often crashes while installing the drivers. it will get half way thru then it will make a sound to say new hardware plugged in, then the screen will drop to dos and have just a flashing - in the top corner.
weird.
Have you tried a clean install of windows?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unfortunately, a clean install of windows is not an option. I dont have a CD

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, the problem continues.
I now have a Fresh install of xp home and the absolute latest drivers.
It still crashes to black screen with flashing white dash (-) during install.
Its completely locked up so all i can do is hit the reset button.
And then it wont boot.
It loads half way, then before it goes to windows, it just stops.

This problem is really pissing me off now as there is no reason for this to be happening.
Everything on my pc is now legit, so its not that either.
Ive also had a quick look thru the faq on the nvidia website and had no luck.

I dont really wanna have to scrap the entire system just yet.
Thanks for any help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts