Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup guys, first i wnana say wassup to everyone cuz im new to overclocking and the forum. Next i wanna ask, tomorow im buying the BFG 6800GT .. only reason really im buyin it is cuz i get it for $260 ...the perks of workign at best buy and getting employee accomidation ;-) ... cuz i already have a 9600xt that im gonan return tomorow sice i get paid tomorow ..now my question is how exactly do i overclock it without having to buy extra fans or whatnot and get the most out of my card. Also my motherboard to my knowledge is only at 4x agp ...should i buy a new one for the 8x agp ? How much of a difference does it make ...i was gonan buy a new motherboard and get the pci express ati x700 ..since i get it for $100 ( perks of working at best buy ) ..but then i'd have to buy a new processor and seeing that im trying to get a car and i cant swindle my girlfriend into buying it for me ...she would if she had the money but i kidna ran her phone bill up 175 from her talkin to me ...dont blame me i told her not to talk but oh well she's payin it ...what do you guys think i should do ..order the x700 , get a new motherboard and cpu , a motherboard that'll support pci-express, that'd come out to liek 276 ..or get the 6800gt ... Decisions Decisions .. ...Help MEh ...

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
So go with the 6800 GT. Thats an awsome price >_>.. If you dont want it buy it and give it to me.. Ill pay you back I swear. haha. lol

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoobay

Wassup guys, first i wnana say wassup to everyone cuz im new to overclocking and the forum. Next i wanna ask, tomorow im buying the BFG 6800GT .. only reason really im buyin it is cuz i get it for $260 ...the perks of workign at best buy and getting employee accomidation ;-) ... cuz i already have a 9600xt that im gonan return tomorow sice i get paid tomorow ..now my question is how exactly do i overclock it without having to buy extra fans or whatnot and get the most out of my card. Also my motherboard to my knowledge is only at 4x agp ...should i buy a new one for the 8x agp ? How much of a difference does it make ...i was gonan buy a new motherboard and get the pci express ati x700 ..since i get it for $100 ( perks of working at best buy ) ..but then i'd have to buy a new processor and seeing that im trying to get a car and i cant swindle my girlfriend into buying it for me ...she would if she had the money but i kidna ran her phone bill up 175 from her talkin to me ...dont blame me i told her not to talk but oh well she's payin it ...what do you guys think i should do ..order the x700 , get a new motherboard and cpu , a motherboard that'll support pci-express, that'd come out to liek 276 ..or get the 6800gt ... Decisions Decisions .. ...Help MEh ...

well first off, agp 4x would make a 6800gt pointless. you need a new mobo for sure and prob a new cpu. also it wouldnt hurt to get pci xpress because that way you can upgrade if you expect to keep your next computer for the next few years. i would definitely upgrade. fill us in on ur specs cuz u probly need new ram and a new psu too. we are here to help
so dont be afraid to ask questions. oh and one more thing, welcome to overclock.net

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waffles

well first off, agp 4x would make a 6800gt pointless. you need a new mobo for sure and prob a new cpu. also it wouldnt hurt to get pci xpress because that way you can upgrade if you expect to keep your next computer for the next few years. i would definitely upgrade. fill us in on ur specs cuz u probly need new ram and a new psu too. we are here to help
so dont be afraid to ask questions. oh and one more thing, welcome to overclock.net

Specs:

Pentium 4 at 2.0 ghz
512 DDr pc2100
Asus Mobo , doesnt support 8x so yu do the thinking..lol
30 Gb hard drive ( i dont store much ..dont need much ..only game ya kno )

that's just about it ..i dont wanna push my comptuer that much to buy a new cpu and what not, i would buy the new motherboard though , cuz yea 4x agp does suck :-O ..so im ordering that one tonight, but im ordering one that support socket 478 cuz that's my cpu but also has 800 mhz fsb ( my current is only 400 ) ..i dont wanan put TOO much money into the comp cuz im tryna get a car...way i see it..good video card..enough ram ..i wont have the time to research other **** to buy since i constantly play cs source ;-) ..plus my friend is buying a frigde from best buy and im makign 200 bucks offa her so the card will end up only costin me 60 bucks ..which i'll tell my girl i need to pay my phone bil lso the card wil lbe free ...lmao ..then my boy is buying undergroudn neons we get for 80 i told him 120 so that's 40 bucks margin..my mobo at pricewatch.com is about 55 ..so ...wat yu guys think ;-) ..btw thanks for the welcome and link to the guide to overclocking

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
I still say go with the 6800 GT thats a huge deal for huuuge performance. Just leave it alone and then go onto buying a new CPU and mobo.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

Specs:

Pentium 4 at 2.0 ghz
512 DDr pc2100
Asus Mobo , doesnt support 8x so yu do the thinking..lol
30 Gb hard drive ( i dont store much ..dont need much ..only game ya kno )

that's just about it ..i dont wanna push my comptuer that much to buy a new cpu and what not, i would buy the new motherboard though , cuz yea 4x agp does suck :-O ..so im ordering that one tonight, but im ordering one that support socket 478 cuz that's my cpu but also has 800 mhz fsb ( my current is only 400 ) ..i dont wanan put TOO much money into the comp cuz im tryna get a car...way i see it..good video card..enough ram ..i wont have the time to research other **** to buy since i constantly play cs source ;-) ..plus my friend is buying a frigde from best buy and im makign 200 bucks offa her so the card will end up only costin me 60 bucks ..which i'll tell my girl i need to pay my phone bil lso the card wil lbe free ...lmao ..then my boy is buying undergroudn neons we get for 80 i told him 120 so that's 40 bucks margin..my mobo at pricewatch.com is about 55 ..so ...wat yu guys think ;-) ..btw thanks for the welcome and link to the guide to overclocking

i suggest u list wat u want ur mobo to do and get suggestions. i dont know intel too well but some of these guys know EVERYTHING. start a new thread under intel motherboards and u can prob find a relly good deal

·
Registered
645 Posts
agp 8x only gives about 1-5 more frames, agp 8x was only used for propaganda, dont let them fool you.

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

ok guys i got the card..how do i oc it to ultra speeds?
get coolbits 3d. sorry but i am linkless...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waffles
get coolbits 3d. sorry but i am linkless...

i have it, but i cant evne clock my **** 10 mhz over :-\\ //or do i go bit by bit ..wait awhile...then bump it up more ...im new to this ;-)

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

i have it, but i cant evne clock my **** 10 mhz over :-\\ //or do i go bit by bit ..wait awhile...then bump it up more ...im new to this ;-)
go 5 mhz at a time with core first. test the stability by say running prime 95 for an hour and then do some gaming. then go up 5 mhz. do the same with mem after u get core speed up as high as u can without artifacts but 10mhz at a time. well prime 95 for an hour is overkill but it doesnt hurt to be safe. and try to keep load temps at less than 80C

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
OC slowly. It will give a more accurate reading as to where your GPU or anything else is failing. If you OC from like 100 - 300 mhz (example) and it crash's you wont know where the breaking point was. And also just keep messing around with trying to OC it, you ll figure it out eventually.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori

OC slowly. It will give a more accurate reading as to where your GPU or anything else is failing. If you OC from like 100 - 300 mhz (example) and it crash's you wont know where the breaking point was. And also just keep messing around with trying to OC it, you ll figure it out eventually.

i try to oc 1 mhz and it fails ..... :-(

·
Banned
2,956 Posts
Quote:

i try to oc 1 mhz and it fails ..... :-(

what are ur temps? u sure u didnt oc 1 ghz?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try hitting "optimal setting" and then you can tweak it from there. Just like all the others' say, start with "core frequency" then tweak "memory clock frequency."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
aiight im getting it up ...im at 384 and 1.03 mem right now ..is there a faster way to do this? wats flashing the bios, i heard about that

1 - 20 of 23 Posts