Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if im in the right place for my question. I just bought an evga 6800gt agp card. I want to flash it to the 6800gt ultra, how do i do that? i've downloaded a bunch of things including rivatuner and coolbits 2. Unfortunately i dont know how to use either of them. lol any help greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Well rivatuner will unlock stuff..i think everythings unlocked on the GT no? And coolbits will overclock your card pretty far. I'd say with coolbits you could prolly get to Ultra speeds matybe even farther with good cooling. You have to dl coolbits double click on the file then install it in to the registry. Then right click on your desktop and go to what nvidia display then your monitor model. Then click on frequencies and go to manual overclocking. Switch it to 3d mode. Then start rasing the core 3MHz at a time untill the card fails the test then do the same for the mem.. I dunno if you can flash those cards? Im stupit tho

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR

Well rivatuner will unlock stuff..i think everythings unlocked on the GT no? And coolbits will overclock your card pretty far. I'd say with coolbits you could prolly get to Ultra speeds matybe even farther with good cooling. You have to dl coolbits double click on the file then install it in to the registry. Then right click on your desktop and go to what nvidia display then your monitor model. Then click on frequencies and go to manual overclocking. Switch it to 3d mode. Then start rasing the core 3MHz at a time untill the card fails the test then do the same for the mem.. I dunno if you can flash those cards? Im stupit tho

ok, im a newb i admit it. how do i know when my card fails? Will i get things on my screen affecting it? where do i go for the memory 1? Told u i was a newb. lol

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Ok you just keep pusing the MHz up untill a msg pops up TEST FAILED! lol. Then once you find the max core do what you did except on the memory. memory is right under the core. Keep gonig untill that fails the test and the window pops up again saying card failed. Then run a program like 3dmark05 to test and see if you get any in game artifacting. Obivoulsy if you get artifacting just by oc'n not even doing anything you going to high try a few MHz less

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Ok you just keep pusing the MHz up untill a msg pops up TEST FAILED! lol. Then once you find the max core do what you did except on the memory. memory is right under the core. Keep gonig untill that fails the test and the window pops up again saying card failed. Then run a program like 3dmark05 to test and see if you get any in game artifacting. Obivoulsy if you get artifacting just by oc'n not even doing anything you going to high try a few MHz less

Thanks. I'm gonna try this when i have more time on my hands. It doesnt sound to complicated, but i gotta do some errands. I'll keep you posted. lol

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Lol it is not to complicated, NP. We all learn sometime. Yeah man i played with my settings for like a total of 30 hours last week testing. Lol those 3dmark programs take like 15-25 minutes for me lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

I dont find manual overclock at all. okay i got to the monitor part but after that im lost. do i go to temp controls and raise the core temp? its at 120 now, i dont know if im even in the right spot or not. I cant find frequencies at all. For that matter i dont find memory either. YUP I"M A NEWB!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Right click the descktop then go to properties then on the top where there are tabs go to settings then go to the advanced button near the boton of that little window then go where the tabs are and go to the one that say GeForce 6800GT (the ones with your card settings mine says Geforce FX 5200) then scrool down on the tab that appeard on the left side and loock for "Clock Frequency Settings" hit "manual overclocking" then for the settings pull down tab hit "performce 3D" then you can eaither hit "detect optimal frequencies" then when thats done you can set up a little or down a little but befor you apply your settings you must hit the test button to see if your card passes the stabilty test then when you found your liking settings you can "force fan on" and "apply settings at startup" then hit apply then you shal be done and there you go you got an ultra for the price of a GT

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadoWolf551

Right click the descktop then go to properties then on the top where there are tabs go to settings then go to the advanced button near the boton of that little window then go where the tabs are and go to the one that say GeForce 6800GT (the ones with your card settings mine says Geforce FX 5200) then scrool down on the tab that appeard on the left side and loock for "Clock Frequency Settings" hit "manual overclocking" then for the settings pull down tab hit "performce 3D" then you can eaither hit "detect optimal frequencies" then when thats done you can set up a little or down a little but befor you apply your settings you must hit the test button to see if your card passes the stabilty test then when you found your liking settings you can "force fan on" and "apply settings at startup" then hit apply then you shal be done and there you go you got an ultra for the price of a GT

okay thank you. What i forgot to do was reboot after i put coolbits into my reg lol. clock frequency wasnt showing as a result. lol. anyways it oced to core: 413 mem:1.12 Is this good?

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Inquisitor

can you flash a 6800 normal to a Gt?

I dont think you can because in a normal 6800 it doesnt have the DDR3 RAM, it has 128 bit articure instead of 256( i think), 128MB or ram compaired to 256MB and it by it self cant clock up to gt speeds let alone flashing it to those speeds and being stablie i think. Correct me anywhere i was wrong anywhere.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
ya um.... i dont think u can flash it. leave ur 6800GT alone. its a great card. all u can do is OC but make sure u got great cooling and dont go too far. wouldnt want to fry a $400+ card.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay, another question. i play halflife firearms and my fps is only like 60. I was getting the same with my 256mb 5200 graphics card. how do i increase my fps? 70 would be nice lol

·
Banned
642 Posts
my buddy flashed his card ....tho he was drunk and there was no software involved mostly hardware but thats another story lmao

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by systemaxd

I dont think you can because in a normal 6800 it doesnt have the DDR3 RAM, it has 128 bit articure instead of 256( i think), 128MB or ram compaired to 256MB and it by it self cant clock up to gt speeds let alone flashing it to those speeds and being stablie i think. Correct me anywhere i was wrong anywhere.

I bet i could get very close with my card if i had like water cooling to make it stable.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by systemaxd

Asus makes a 128 6800Gt

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
6800GT has 16 pixel pipelines, 6 vertex pipelines and 256MB of 256-bit GDDR3 memory at 1000MHz
6800NU has 12 pixel pipelines, 5 vertex pipelines and 128MB of 256-bit DDR memory at 700MHz

You can use Riva Tuner to unlock either the 4 pixel or the 1 vertex pipelines, or sometimes both on a 6800NU. It'll still never be as fast as a 6800GT though because of the significantly lower memory bus

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
6800GT has 16 pixel pipelines, 6 vertex pipelines and 256MB of 256-bit GDDR3 memory at 1000MHz
6800NU has 12 pixel pipelines, 5 vertex pipelines and 128MB of 256-bit DDR memory at 700MHz

You can use Riva Tuner to unlock either the 4 pixel or the 1 vertex pipelines, or sometimes both on a 6800NU. It'll still never be as fast as a 6800GT though because of the significantly lower memory bus

K guys, you must have misunderstood me. i have the 6800GT 256mb card. All i meant was do i have to flash it to get to a 6800 ultra? or do i just oc it ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts