Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Christmas, my birthday, working, and a few months after that, I want to upgrade from my 9800PRO to 6800GT. I have been seeing 6800GT prices falling, and are most likely going to drop even more due to Christmas. What I might do is, after Christmas/birthday/job, I will sell my 9800PRO for something like $140-150 if I am lucky. I will then easily have enough money to buy a 6800GT that I so dearly want which will probably drop to $350 by then. BTW Which 6800GT should I get?

And this is considering that I do not build someone a computer, who I think is interested in buying a custom built computer from me, which I would make somewhere from $150-200 profit.

What do you guys think of my plan? And yes I know I need more RAM!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
2nd the BFG, very happy with the quality of mine. (and it comes oc'ed with a lifetime warranty)

·
Banned
179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jared

2nd the BFG, very happy with the quality of mine. (and it comes oc'ed with a lifetime warranty)

BFG!!!!!

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard a lot of Leadtek and BFG. I kinda want a BFG because with a lifetime warranty, why wouldnt I get it, unless its way too expensive.

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah. I really want a 6800GT. I have a Radeon 9800PRO right now, and thats prolly like the same as 5700ULTRA.

I am definately going with the BFG now.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
On that topic, could someone tell me if it would be better to get a mobo with PCI-E and then get a 6800GT or get the 6800GT with AGP (if there is one)

·
Registered
50 Posts
6800gt's aren't available in pci-e yet... You can buy them in complete systems (alienware, etc.), but I haven't seen them at any local or online retailers yet.
(I seem to remember bfg saying dec for major roll out of their pci-e products...)

Anyone with more firm dates?

·
Banned
179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus
On that topic, could someone tell me if it would be better to get a mobo with PCI-E and then get a 6800GT or get the 6800GT with AGP (if there is one)
GET A PCI-E MOBO AND 6800gt pci-e when comes out

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
OEMs always get their grubby little hands on all the new stuff first, it's the way of business, I would expect PCIe chips to be widely available for christmas, because as we know, that's the biggest spending time of the year. Be warned that a PCIe 6800GT will probably cost near the same as an ultra as they're supposed to come clocked at AGP Ultra speeds, and PCIe Ultras are supposed to be clocked above 500MHz, just rumors I've heard though. I'm really interested at this point to see what ATi's got up their sleeve with the new R520 core so I'm waiting to see what they're going to bring to the table

·
Registered
698 Posts
I guess that I am the only person here who would reccomend the Gainward 2400/Ultra Golden Sample. It overclocks to 6800 Ultra Specs, the only issue is that it takes up a PCI slot and the card is stinkin big but Thats what I am probably going to get. VIVA LA GAINWARD!

·
Banned
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yiffy should I wait and not get the 6800 GT, so I will have a load of money when something new comes out.

And I was thinking of spending $200 on RAM during that time. So then I can keep saving my extra money to get the latest video card when it comes out. And on the new Screen Savers today this dude was talking about video cards, and he was saying stuff about AGP not going anywhere anytime soon.

So my master plan is to upgrade RAM after Christmas, then wait for DDR2 to get good and PCI-E 6800GT to come out. Then I can buy a new motherboard with DDR2 and DDR and PCI-E. Sound like a plan??

And will DDR and DDR2 in the same motherboard hurt overclocking?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
If you can afford the 6800GT by all means get one, that card will be plenty fast for at least another year, but if you wanted to wait I'd wait for PCIe 6800GTs and SLI

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

If your sole purpose is to run a 6800 GT then I would stick with the current Mobo and get the AGP. There is no benefit to having PCI-E right now and with AMD putting the finishing touches on their PCI-E boards, I would hold off on buying one for at least another year, and by then the 6800GT will be old news. Save your cash now and wait until PCI-E gives more performance for the dollars. Besides, no video cards is even using the AGP 8X bus to it's full potential.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts