Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause my GPU Core to increase from 50C to 71C...And I am not playing any games right now and all my fans and room temp is normal...Could the card be going bad...And no it is not overclocked...

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Get a can of compressed air and blow out the fan and heatsink on the card. Thats the first thing I would do.

• Rep+
Reactions: Strider_2001

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah fans are still working...I just blew the dust out about 2 weeks ago...oh well guess its time to do it again...Thanks...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I HAD THE SAME problem get a small glasses screw driver and unscrew the top metal plate on the graphics card. When i did that i found a huge chunk of dust inside not able to be removed by a can of compressed air...it is stuck inside trus t me lol i had the same exact problem and the dust should be to the left of the metal heat sink inside. its a flaw in the fan engineering... attracts alot of freakin dust you will find a pretty big chunk of a dust bunny in there... its really well hidden inside the heatsink not able to be seen from the outside

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome I will take a looks at that today...That really does explain alot because the last time I blew dust out then more prolly went into that small spot...Thanks for the advice...

·
Registered
356 Posts
no problem dude you should try doing it soon because it will make your gpu work less as it is not trying to keep it cool... i would advise doing it soon because at 71c idle thats a bit creapy...

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just got done doing this and I wish I would have taken some pictures because it was discusting on the inside...There was a TON of dirt in there...It dropped my temp down to 41C even lower then it was before...I would suggest making a FAQ about this...Thanks again..REP to you my friend

·
Registered
356 Posts
awesome lol
nasty in there aye? do you know were i should post faqs? oh and also this should make your oc's easier
i check every month but i do a bit more screw work to do it more effectivly than a can of compressed air.... i dont know about other models of graphics cards but... i know that alot of heatsinks are flawwed and have alot of dust build up over time hidden
. yes it dropped my temps exactly the same actually to 38c
and i can overclock to 405/1.13 easily but i would suggest just doing 370/1.05 and 380/1.05 for 3d it wont hurt ur card at all and it will help you out with like 1-3 fps
might just knock of that little studder here and there to. especially how much lower it dropped..
30c down big drop wewt!!!!! oh yeah and when u blow into the fan it makes it worse.. lol it only gets rid of the little specs but pushes the dust farther into the gpu and if you have a clear heat sink.. well your lucky because once you open your case you will eventually see it lol

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definate Sticky gets my vote...I would write out a detailed destriction with pictures and forward it to a Mod and then they can post it as a FAQ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. Played TES Oblivion and got up to 110degrees celcius when the card automatically slowed down with a warning. mid 60s idle. Blamed my new PSU at first (the kind that blows air inside.. stupid for buying, i dont need a silent pc anyway). Cleaned the card, now its back at 40 idle and mid 50s when playing oblivion!! Never would have tried screwing it open, just clean the fan normally..

thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dude do u mean the plate over where u put the SLI bridge or so i need to remove the heatsink. Mes got a freakin hot card. Plz put some pics up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I already took the whole cooler apart about a week ago and also found a cloth and removed it. I also put new arctic paste on it, but I left the thermal pads on the memory. A week later my GPU now runs at 58°C and Highest Load temp I got was 82°. I had OC'ed it to 412/1100 and it ran fine till yesterday. And now it even hangs while playing DoD:S with stock rates (350/1000)

Should i remove the cooler again and also remove the thermal pads and apply arctic paste on both the GPU and the memory?

P.s. I've order an Arctic Cooling NV Accelero X1. So after that the problems should be solved. Untill then I'm open for ideas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts