Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, So I got a EVGA 6800ULTRA from FoRmEd.

I knew that I was taking the risk that this card wouldn't work when I got it, He told me that he *THOUGHT* his Nforce3 board killed it, Because he couldn't get it to post.

Now I've got it and its bootable, But not completely usable.

In windows, It will:
-Randomly freeze for a couple of seconds with light artifacting
-Completely artifact and cause a full lock-up
-Work fine until it will randomly just lock-up
-In Nvidia's display drivers it lists as the temp is 154C with the WHQL 81.98's. (Works fine with my 6800LE)

Under 3D load, IE. Counter Strike-Source:
-Lots of artifacts
-Everything would be fine, Except random textures would be stretched that are in the background
-When I put it on everything High, 1600x1200, And 4x/16x it would just stretch the background textures for about 20-seconds, Until everything would just tint a VERY bright green, Exit out the game, and everything is fine until I get a random, Full system lock-up.

At first I thought it was an issue with corrupted BIOS. I Flashed it with the newest BIOS from EVGA's site, And it still have the errors.

-Tried using Driver-Cleaner PRO and then reinstalling with the 81.89's WHQL and the same thing...

-I took the BIOS into Nibitor, And dropped it to 1.3V and 375/500 and threw the 2D/3D Fan options both to 100% all the time.

The edited BIOS still didn't work.

I did a visual inspection of the card and nothing is looking bad, I don't see any scratches or burnt peices, and the Core and Ram-chips all look fine (Not burnt).

Any more ideas from you guys? Last thing I want to do is an RMA a few days before a big Lan-Party...

This is all with stock cooling, I tried with the EVGA cooler on along with the OCZ Ramsinks but no luck so I took them off and threw the FULL-EVGA cooler back on, No change...

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
When you mentioned what the nvidia panel said for temperature, I was going to say it sounds like a heatsink problem... but from what youve tried, it sounds like thats not the culprit

have you tried disabling anything?... use something like rivatuner to turn it into a 6800, see if theres a damaged pipeline/ shader

·
Registered
106 Posts
windows still runs even without a heatsink on my flashed ultra. It runs at 190c load (dont ask why it wasnt on). Btw, are you plugging in the fan and is the fan spinning or obstructing the fan.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
I've already told you everything I know to try. The only other thing is to drop the pipes to like 12/5 but why would you want to cripple an ultra that far down? RMA time man..

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
exactly, like I said earlier, try disabling it to see if somethings damaged... but youd might as well rma it and get a working card

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BAH!

I hate having to wait! And EVGA claims my area "Isn't within their shipping area".

So I have to drop like $100 in shipping costs now.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, They just won't PAY for the shipping back and fourth since I'm in Canada...

Anyways, It USABLE NOW!

Weirdest thing, Before I went to RMA this I wanted to test the heatsink on my LE, But I got the OverClock bug again, So I threw the LeadTek HSF on the ULTRA and tested it... And it works?!?!!?!

Played CSS with no errors what-so-ever! Only problem is, The Temperature sensor is completely fubar...

I guess I'll just call them tommorow after school and see what they can do about it.

(OMG I'M SO UNBELIEVABLY HAPPY THAT I CAN'T EVEN EXPRESS IT!!!!!!!!!!!1ONEONEONEELVENANDTHREEQUARTERS)

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnMcGrail

No, They just won't PAY for the shipping back and fourth since I'm in Canada...

Anyways, It USABLE NOW!

Weirdest thing, Before I went to RMA this I wanted to test the heatsink on my LE, But I got the OverClock bug again, So I threw the LeadTek HSF on the ULTRA and tested it... And it works?!?!!?!

Played CSS with no errors what-so-ever! Only problem is, The Temperature sensor is completely fubar...

I guess I'll just call them tommorow after school and see what they can do about it.

(OMG I'M SO UNBELIEVABLY HAPPY THAT I CAN'T EVEN EXPRESS IT!!!!!!!!!!!1ONEONEONEELVENANDTHREEQUARTERS)

Congrats!

That just goes to show you how ajwesome those Leadtek heatsinks are.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I don't think I ever updated the situation, But the LE cooler gave out after about 30 more minutes of in game...

Card was sent, recieved on Feb 6/06 and they've decided to bump me up to a 7800GS CO SuperClocked editon!

Sending it out either tonight, Or Monday morning!

EVGA has redeemed itself, I was mad at THEM for not getting the card, When I should have been blaming the mail system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts