Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, and thank you in advance for your suggestions.

I built a PC with the components listed below, mostly as a hobby machine for learning how to OC cpu, video cards, and RAM. It will be used mostly for gaming. Full disclosure - I am not well versed in OC/BIOS jargon, but I have spent many months reading and watching videos about OC'ing, so I've been doing some tinkering already, and so far have not destroyed anything.

Most of what I've read and watched is similar to my BIOS, but I only found one video that had a similar Gigabyte UEFI BIOS settings talk-through, so a lot of the settings people mention in the other examples are different than what I'm finding in mine.

I've tried different setting numbers I've culled from various postings I've read, and I've been able to get my CPU up to 4.4 GHz and can complete 15 minutes of running the RealBench stress-test successfully. Cinebench completes without problems, but if I run Prime95 v.294b8, the "workers" stop almost instantly.

Here are the settings I've changed for the 4.4 GHz:
XMP = Profile 1 (3466 MHz)
AVX Offset = 3
TurboBoost = Disabled
HyperThread = Enabled
CPU VRIN Loadline Calibration = TURBO
CPU VRIN External Override = 1.9
CPU VCore = 1.38
CPU VCCIO = 1.2
PCH Core = 1.05
All other settings were left at AUTO.

What recommendations do you experienced overclockers suggest, whether it be some I have listed going up, down, or set to AUTO, and/or any other settings I did not list set as something specific.

When I ran RealBench, the highest temperature was 68°C. When I tried to run Prime95 it went up to 76°C, but Prime95 indicated "workers stopped" almost instantly.

CPU
Intel Core i7 6850K

Motherboard
Gigabyte X99-Designare EX-CF

GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming WATERFORCE 8G x2 in SLI

RAM
Corsair - Dominator Platinum 128GB (8 x 16GB) DDR4-3466 Memory

Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB

Hard Drive
Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 2.5 SSD

Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 2.0TB 2.5 SSD

Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Fully-Modular ATX

Cooling
NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler

Monitor
Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 100Hz

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions with a curious newbie. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it best that I get the OC of the cpu 100% stable before I try to OC the video cards? I'm itching to start playing around with OC'ing the video cards, but I'm wary of starting until I'm able to get Prime95 to run stable. Thoughts from you experienced people? :)

·
Overclocker in training
13,944 Posts
Hi,
Couple of threads to browse through
http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1510388-haswell-e-overclock-leaderboard-owners-club.html

http://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...99-soc-champion-discussion-owners-s-club.html

Personally I do not use prime 95 but most recommend the old versions

I'd stick with realbench and it's stress test if you want to push it
Otherwise the gpu oc'ing doesn't matter when you want to start doing it
If you pass realbench at any clock you'll be good to go on gpu oc'ing and any normal benchmark like Heaven/......
Final fantasy xv is a good one too.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Very rare to see another X99 Designare user. Try to run your ram at either 3200mhz or 3000mhz for prime95. I've noticed my last 6900K and 6850K didn't like ram speeds above 3000mhz.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your reply and advice. I'd love to hear your experiences with your X99 Designare. I did a lot of research before I chose that board, and it took ordering two of them off Amazon to get one complete board. Both of the ones I ordered were missing different parts and pieces, so I scrounged off the second one what I was missing on the first one and sent the second one back. I'm sure both were not "new" but were actually returns. So far I haven't had any problems with it that I know of.

What kinds of things have you come across that might be helpful for a newbie like myself - like your recommendation of turning down the RAM? I currently have the XMP profile turned on and that's why it's at 3466. I'll play around with turning that down a bit and see what happens. Thanks again! :)

·
Iconoclast
30,428 Posts
VCCIO of 1.2 is almost certainly excessive. Broadwell-E defaults to around 1v VCCIO and it's very rare to need more than 1.1v. I'd start between 1v and 1.05v and increase as necessary, if necessary.

As others have said, 3466MT/s may be a bit much, especially with 128GiB of memory. I'd start much lower (2400 or so), concentrate on getting the CPU stable, then see where you can go with the memory.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Designare is a gorgeous board to me at least since it matches my PC theme/Original Character, albeit expensive even now due to end of life. But I plan to keep my PC for a long time.

Try for speeds like: 3000mhz, Timing 15-17-17-35, Voltage 1.35V

With Broadwell, speeds above 2400mhz is considered overclocking so depending on how good the IMC is on the processor you may or may not get the speeds your ram was advertised for. Plus you have twice the amount of ram than I do so some tinkering around with the IMC voltage may be required. My last 6900K could not pass intel burn test or run a game stable for an hour straight until I figure out it just didn't like running XMP (3200) even with manual settings, no problems if I lower the speeds to 3000. In the end I swapped the processor out with a binned one and the current one has no issues with the ram's XMP profile.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your suggestions on the VCCIO setting. I confess I have no idea what pretty much most of the settings mean. I've just tried some settings I've seen listed from other people's OC's, and fiddled with them until it stopped BSOD'ing.

I will try your recommendation and am grateful for any more adjustments that you think will help. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kiros, I agree - the board is quite beautiful and I also liked the color scheme and how it fit with what I wanted to put together.

That's good to know about how the XMP profile is actually OC'ing the RAM, so I guess I should turn that off and get the CPU OC figured out first and then tinker with the RAM. I'm finding out after the fact that getting the highest speed RAM that board could handle was not necessarily a smart thing to do. Like you, I plan on having this PC for a L-O-N-G time, so I thought I just go all out and max out everything. I'm just glad I purchased all that RAM before the prices went through the roof! ;-)

Thank you again for your input. I sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions and comments.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been doing some playing around with different settings and running RealBench stress test. I left all BIOS settings at "auto" except for AVX Offset at 1, CPU VLLC at Turbo, and only adjusted the CPU Vcore. Here is what I got:

4.6 GHz
CPU Vcore - 1.48
Max Temp. - 72°C

4.5 GHz
1.35 & 59°C
1.34 & 62°C

4.4 GHz
1.37 & 63°C
1.36 & 61°C
1.35 & 60°C

The above listings are the only ones I was able to complete RealBench at. Anything above or below I would get a BSD.

What do you experienced people think about the results I got above? Which one would be best, and why? Again, I really don't know what makes a setting good or bad, so I'm grateful for your comments. :)

My next question is when would you apply the OC settings? Would you only run the PC at the OC settings if you are playing a game or encoding a video or such? For every day web browsing, email, etc., would you just run the PC at its stock settings to prolong the lifetime of the system and only OC when playing a game?

If, by your recommendations, I go with one of the above OC settings, will I have to consider any more adjustments to the CPU OC settings when I start playing around with OC'ing the video cards and possibly the RAM? For the OC results listed above I have the RAM at the default settings and am not applying the XMP profile, and will likely go with manual OC'ing the RAM as some people have suggested.

Thank you again for all your helpful tips and recommendations. This has been a FUN exercise and way to learn about new technology. Have a GREAT day, everyone! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did some more stress testing tonight. At 4.5 GHz with vcore at 1.35 I easily passed the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility's stress test, the RealBench test, and Prime 95 at the default settings for 30 minutes. I know I've read/seen people say to run for 24 hours, but 30 minutes was a record for me. ;-)

I again ran tests at 4.6 GHz with vcore at 1.48 and it passed the Intel stress test, the RealBench test, but crashed in Prime 95 after about 5-10 minutes.

Does it sound to you experienced people that 4.6 GHz is probably just not going to be stable? Should I just be happy with the 4.5 GHz?

·
Overclocker in training
13,944 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure what I'm looking for when I run the Blender test files. Is it temperature, how long it takes to run them, or just if it crashes or not?

I ran both the BMW and Classroom render animation tests at 4.6 GHz with 1.48 vcore, and the highest temp on BMW was 82°C, and for the Classroom it was 77°C. I ran the BMW test for around 45 minutes or so and it just kept on going, so I cancelled that one and ran the Classroom test.

After the Classroom test ran and completed a full render in about 17 minutes, it was resetting to start another render and it did BSOD.

I again ran RealBench and it completed with no problems and the highest temp was 72°C.

Since I'm a newb, what do these numbers mean? Good, bad, in-between? :)

·
Overclocker in training
13,944 Posts
Hi,
What was the bsod ?
Watchdog timeout/ ... violation/ ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Of course I forgot to write it down, so tonight I tried running the "Classroom" animation while at 4.6 GHz, and it would run for up to 6 minutes and then just disappear. It wouldn't BSOD, it would just close. I tried three times and it did the same thing.

After that I tried running the BMW animation and pretty quickly it did BSOD, and it was the "Watchdog" message.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts