Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read you can use 6870 blocks on some 6950's. I have been googling around and the pcb's look very similar. But I am new at this. I already bought a universal block and just ordered a full cover heatsink from swiftech.

But I did all this because I thought I couldn't get a full cover block for my card.
Its this one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161372

Heres my pcb

And heres what EK shows for the ref 6870

What do you guys think?

Heres another one, mine has the exact same heatsink on the left

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think it will work the layouts are the same as far as I can tell TBH it's kinda the same thing that happens with the GTX580/570 (reference models) a block for the 580 works fine on the 570.

Edit: Kinda obvious but... just take the heatsink on the left off the card before using the full cover block

·
Registered
712 Posts
I actually tried this out with a so called XFX ref card with my 6870 block and it didnt fit right for my likeing. So i ended up returning my XFX card and got a ref saphire and a xspc block. Now I know the ladder part really doesnt help u because its pretty hard to find a ref model.

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this isn't for a reference 6950. So I don't think that applies

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Aqua Computer Staff
1,182 Posts
I know from our 6870 blocks that they work with these 6950 cards BUT you have to cover the small resistors above the upper RAM chips line with some tape since they are on par with the RAM chips and might cause a short circuit.

A customer has reported that to us so we changed the block in that area to work without the tape.

Well, it is possible but I can't tell if other blocks will also work.

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm can you show me exactly what you mean in the picture?

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by begjr2
View Post

I actually tried this out with a so called XFX ref card with my 6870 block and it didnt fit right for my likeing. So i ended up returning my XFX card and got a ref saphire and a xspc block. Now I know the ladder part really doesnt help u because its pretty hard to find a ref model.

Dude, you had a 6950 rev 2 (same pcb as OP) and you tried to use it with a reference block, obviously that didn't work out so well. This is different, it's a 6870 block and pcb which is the basis for the 6950 revision 2 pcb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsout
View Post

Your pcb has caps along the outside edges of the ram and the top screw hole on the ram is missing. Logically since there's a row of caps there now they omitted the screw mount due to space.

Anyways, here's a another thread a ways back.

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...highlight=6870

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot I'll have a look at home.

·
Aqua Computer Staff
1,182 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsout
View Post

I mean these:

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoggy;14643452
I mean these:

resistorsmuv9.jpg
Ok thanks a lot, so what sort of tape are you talking about exactly?

·
Aqua Computer Staff
1,182 Posts
If he would use our block that will not work since we don't use pads for the RAM

Just use regular scotch tape to isolate it.

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Scotch tape would work huh nice. Thanks a lot you guys rep added. Appreciate the help.

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got my WC finished and I am getting excellent temps with just a universal MCW82. I didn't add any sinks to the card. It has a flat metal piece over the ram and and heatsink (tiny one on the vregs?)

So heres what my card looks like now but with a universal block on it.

HIS_HD6950_IceQ_X_Turbo_X_Cooler_Removed.jpg

I have 4 temps for gpu in gpu-z, I think the hottest while load testing (heaven and OCCT) at 1ghz was 43c. Thing that bothers me a little is there is also 2 temps for the Vregs. One is 24c and one is 26c, they were like this on air too so obviously they are not working. I hope the real temp is not bad, not sure how to find out.

·
1689 Federalist
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I put the swiftech heatsink on. It shows the caps in the install instructions so it should be good to go. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hey I just noticed with you pics you have an extra capacitor on the top left your board that isn't on the reference or the red PCB design that may interfere with a water block, I've circled it for you here:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts