Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an mATX motherboard (P8P67-M Pro) and I wanted to put 2 HD 6950's in crossfire as my next set up. I want to do this relatively soon because I want to pick them up before they go through the revision and possibly lose the chance to be unlocked to 6970's (which would be a nice performance increase in the future if I needed it). However, due to the spacing of the PCI-Express 16x slots, the cards would pretty much be sandwiched together such as in this picture:

cards_small.jpg

- http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6870_CrossFire/

I've spoken with some people who have mATX Crossfire/SLI set-ups and they do say they run warmer, but still run just fine without any crashing or anything. Top card always runs much warmer due to the lack of airflow between the cards. I wouldn't be unlocking the 6950's to 6970's until later down the road when I would need the performance increase to save on power and temps. So I just wanted to see what others have to say and if there are any individuals here with mATX Crossfire/SLI set-ups that can share their experience.

exlink

·
Registered
241 Posts
It will work, but lots of heat and noise from the top card.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I did that with two GTX 285s a few years back with no trouble. The top one will run warmer but thats a given.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
You will be just fine! Also, go ahead and unlock those suckers to 6970s. I just unlocked mine last night; took 30 seconds and saved me 80 bucks.
smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts