Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying a 6950 for Skyrim in the beginning of November, I'm conflicted as to which of these two cards I should spring for. The TF III is quieter and has custom PCB but from the reviews below the Toxic OC'd significantly more and unlocked. I know this depends on card, but is that a representative test?

TFIII
Sapphire Toxic

Thank you guys. I'm most concerned about overclockability and unlocking, quiet and cool are nice too but performance is more important to me. I'll be crossfiring with another of whichever card I choose around the Holidays. Thanks!

·
Iconoclast
30,956 Posts
Differences in OCing are hard to judge from single sample reviews. Every card, every GPU, is unique.

Anyway, the Toxic seems to have a higher TMU/shader unclock rate, and allows +50% TDP in powertune, which will save you the trouble of having to forcibly disable it with 3rd party tools. The TFIII does indeed have better cooling, however.

• Rep+
Reactions: Zaber123

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaber123;15330770
Thank you guys. I'm most concerned about overclockability and unlocking, quiet and cool are nice too but performance is more important to me. I'll be crossfiring with another of whichever card I choose around the Holidays. Thanks!
If you're going to be getting a 2nd card for Crossfire, then I would spring for the Toxic. The Toxic vents hot air out the back of the case while the TFIII just dumps hot air back into the case. If you're just running one card, this isn't really a problem, but for Crossfire, it kinda sucks, especially if the 2 cards are sandwiched together.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the idea of the Sapphires, but after reading some feedback the fans are very loud, one person going as far as to say that, "Gaming headphones are a necessity." This may sway me to the TF3, in crossfire the couple of frames difference won't be worth the fans sounding like leaf blowers.

As far as the exhaust issue with the TF3 I'd heard of that but also heard that the cooler is so efficient that it wasn't a serious problem.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
They are BOTH Great cards, and while I went with and LOVE my TOXIC, as mentioned you can't go wrong getting either ...

The HEAT and NOISE complaints are way over blown out of proportion IMO, yes the Toxic will run slightly warmer and be slightly noisier than the MSI PE/OC TwinFrozrIII card. But on the Flip side, the TOXIC will have a greater chance at UnLocking and could OC higher. Also depending upon where you live and buy it from the TOXIC card is usually a little cheaper than the MSI PE/OC TwinFrozrIII. I've also read about more complaints with MSI cards having issues with Fans failing and the cards needing RMA's ... though that doesn't mean I'd be afraid to buy one. There are pluses and minuses and trade-offs back and forth between each card, but it honestly comes down to this FACT ...

THESE ARE THE TWO BEST HD-6950's on the market and you won't make a bad choice either way you go, PERIOD!
Quote:
quiet and cool are nice.
Then get the MSI PE/OC TwinFrozrIII
Quote:
but, I'm most concerned about overclockability and unlocking ... performance is more important to me
Then get the TOXIC

BUT EITHER CARD WILL MAKE A GREAT CHOICE ... Does that clear it up ?
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I just sold an MSi 6950 TFIII that unlocked and overclocked great. They cool nicely and are heavy -- well built!
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinejam;15333225
I just sold an MSi 6950 TFIII that unlocked and overclocked great. They cool nicely and are heavy -- well built!
smile.gif
WHY did you sell it ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+rep that helps. I think I'll try out the Toxic, I've never had a "quiet" rig so I think what bothers some people won't bother me. As far as I've read the vapor chamber keeps it adequately cooled so hopefully the fan won't have to spin up too high when it's put into crossfire.

All in all if it ends up being too loud I can RMA it.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
See below. LA Kings Fan helped me in a thread about the two, also. I chose the 6950. Can't wait to install it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA_Kings_Fan
View Post

They are BOTH Great cards, and while I went with and LOVE my TOXIC, as mentioned you can't go wrong getting either ...

The HEAT and NOISE complaints are way over blown out of proportion IMO, yes the Toxic will run slightly warmer and be slightly noisier than the MSI PE/OC TwinFrozrIII card. But on the Flip side, the TOXIC will have a greater chance at UnLocking and could OC higher. Also depending upon where you live and buy it from the TOXIC card is usually a little cheaper than the MSI PE/OC TwinFrozrIII. I've also read about more complaints with MSI cards having issues with Fans failing and the cards needing RMA's ... though that doesn't mean I'd be afraid to buy one. There are pluses and minuses and trade-offs back and forth between each card, but it honestly comes down to this FACT ...

THESE ARE THE TWO BEST HD-6950's on the market and you won't make a bad choice either way you go, PERIOD!

Then get the MSI PE/OC TwinFrozrIII

Then get the TOXIC

BUT EITHER CARD WILL MAKE A GREAT CHOICE ... Does that clear it up ?

I was hoping you'd chime in.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinejam
View Post

Bought it as a temporary card in my spare rig while my 2nd Asus gtx570 DCII was in RMA.

THe MSI PE/OC TwinFrozrIII wasn't good enough to make you consider keeping it, and selling the Asus gtx570 DCII instead ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackVenom
View Post

See below. LA Kings Fan helped me in a thread about the two, also. I chose the 6950. Can't wait to install it.
I was hoping you'd chime in.

Thanks ... I'm actually thinking I might do up a TOXIC Club thread or something ... it seems like I answer the same questions at least twice a day lately

1 - 13 of 13 Posts