Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
biggrin.gif

So a couple of days a go I bought myself a 6950 with the idea of unlocking the bios to a 6970, giving me higher clocks and shaders... well all the memory speed and core speeds are at the 6970 specs... but there is only 768 unified shaders, I did my math and that is half the amount it should be (1536)
... So I'm just wandering is this because it's not on load or because it doesn't have the 6970 driver yet or has something gone terribly wrong?>?
confused.gif

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
only benchmarks/testing will tell...

run a known benchmark with published results and compare... your either gonna be crippled or not... i suspect software glitch though... ive never known flashing a card to reduce your shaders or clocks if it is supposed to do otherwise. at worst you'd usually end up bricked or with stock numbers

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden;11959413
Is this what you're gathering by GPUz?
yes it is, it was a file which came with the download for the bios flash... ( it has been updated)
i also had to unlock it threw command prompt as it was coming up with the message "ID mismatch" if that makes a difference..

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
I found this.
Quote:
Just a heads up: AMD has released a newer production model of the 6950 with modified components. You will NOT be able to unlock the shaders on this newer board and I highly suggest that any of you guys considering the 6950-which is an excellent value right now at the ~$299 price point, should pick one up ASAP. The newer models should begin shipping before the end of January!
Hopefully you don't have one of those.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Hopefully that doesn't apply to you. & I don't think AMD was too happy that people were unlocking their GPU's and in turn loosing money. lol

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden;11959505
Hopefully that doesn't apply to you. & I don't think AMD was too happy that people were unlocking their GPU's and in turn loosing money. lol
Eh, I beg to differ in certain situations like mine. I had only planned on buying one card now and another in a month or two (maybe) but once I heard you might not be able to unlock with new models I purchased both cards now so they gained money from me at least (or sooner). They may not have been selling 6970s at much but I also never saw myself buying a 6970, idk about others.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This exact thing happened with me, I uninstalled the CCC and reinstalled it from the disk which came with the GPU, just make sure they are the '69xx' drivers and not a 6950 specific driver. Once I rebooted they all showed up. Might be different for you but I'm pretty sure that new 6950s will not be seen until later this month.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurr;11959620
This exact thing happened with me, I uninstalled the CCC and reinstalled it from the disk which came with the GPU, just make sure they are the '69xx' drivers and not a 6950 specific driver. Once I rebooted they all showed up. Might be different for you but I'm pretty sure that new 6950s will not be seen until later this month.
Thank you very much arthurr, i did as you said an now my card is fully unlocked and stable
biggrin.gif
+rep
Thanks for your help everyone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts