Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got it this week and have had some problems playing with some of the hacks. Had trouble with unlocking the shaders but sorted it out with driver reinstall. Tried the CCC registry hack and finally got that working. The problem is this card locks up in games if I set it over 810. Doesn't seem to matter with shaders locked or unlocked. Went back to everything default and 815 locks up. Using 11.3 CCC, temps are good for stock cooler,low to mid 60's load and even tried Afterburn. You guys have any ideas or did I just get unlucky and have the only 6950 that tops out at a 10 Mhz OC.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
flip the switch back so you can boot off of default bios. uninstall/reinstall drivers to make sure nothing is wrong there. run some OC tests on stock bios. something may be up with your image.

for me... shader unlock bios, 6970 bios & stock bios have all been stable at 920/1375mhz 1.175V. Having the extra shaders shouldn't make a difference in stability.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by compudaze;13049150
flip the switch back so you can boot off of default bios. uninstall/reinstall drivers to make sure nothing is wrong there. run some OC tests on stock bios. something may be up with your image.

for me... shader unlock bios, 6970 bios & stock bios have all been stable at 920/1375mhz 1.175V. Having the extra shaders shouldn't make a difference in stability.
It's back to the stock BIOS. Can't remember if I already tried on the second BIOS,will try latter. Every time I made changes I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers.

Tried upping the power control in CCC but I wouldn't think I needed any voltage increases for 15 Mhz.

·
Premium Member
9,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskelsey;13049244
It's back to the stock BIOS. Can't remember if I already tried on the second BIOS,will try latter. Every time I made changes I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers.

Tried upping the power control in CCC but I wouldn't think I needed any voltage increases for 15 Mhz.
Shouldn't, Im @ 950/1450 with stock 6970 voltages.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsen;13049169
Did you try upping the voltage in MSI AB?
^This

When I first got my 6950 I flashed it to the 6970 BIOS and was having a few issues with stability. Checked Hardware Monitor and GPU-z and realized I forgot to change my voltage settings. I increased it to .950v and everything seems to be working fine so far. You can also set your Power Control Settings in CCC to +20%, which should help out as well.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Try flashing to a 6970 BIOS and see if that fixes anything. You might need more voltage (1.175V I think for the 6970?). I'm running my flashed 6950 at 950/1450 stable in anything I throw at it with 1.175V (stock 6970 voltage).

If it fails just use the BIOS switch feature.

·
Banned
1,913 Posts
When using everything at stock as you got it, and assuming there is no weird driver issue, and as a last resort use a fresh format/install if you can (I love my secondary HDD for reformats, and my older spares HDDs for if I need them)

If it truly can`t OC past 810/+1250 at the correct volts....use GPUZ 0.5.2 and see if you can get info like this to make sure the volts are right

96515001.png

If it can`t OC past 810, I`d send it back, if its possible

Mine is non-ref and probably can`t unlock.......But in GTA4 anyway, 900/1500 at stock of 1.1V is stable, have played for +2 hours without issue.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaspirit
View Post

Try out 11.2 drivers, 11.3 were giving me some issues with overclocking and eyefinity.

And the winner is! 11.3 CCC
I installed 11.2 and it runs 840 Mhz smooth and cool. Going to try the CCC hack again and see how far it will go on stock voltage.
You wouldn't think with a card this new to the market that you would have to go backwards with the drivers. Shouldn't they be improving every month.
Oh well,this is the first time I can think of that I have had a ATI driver problem.
Thanks delta

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsm106
View Post

^^Good luck dude, hope you get it sorted out. Btw, I really like 11.4 previews.

Did the CCC reg hack and just played 5 minutes of Crysis 2 at 900 Mhz at stock voltage. Things are definitely looking up.

·
Banned
2,529 Posts
Sounds like it's going well.

Im on 900/1375 with stock 6950 voltage (1.1)
unlocked gigabyte 6950 bios with extra shaders.

Done with Rbe and Msi Afterburner.

1.12V @970/1500

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got home from work and played some Crysis 2 at 880/1375 unlocked shaders Power Control at 0 and stock 6950 voltage. Set the fan at 60% and got up to 59 C after about 20 minutes,not bad.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskelsey
View Post

Just got home from work and played some Crysis 2 at 880/1375 unlocked shaders Power Control at 0 and stock 6950 voltage. Set the fan at 60% and got up to 59 C after about 20 minutes,not bad.

Raise the powertune othewise it'll throttle the card when it hits the tdp limit. The ccc hack just works doesn't it? Excellent temps btw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts