Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

Been looking for RAM for my up can coming i7 build and was quite set on going for the Corsair Dominators (3x2Gb) 1600Mhz. I read a few reviews and got good feedback from the sticks.

However i saw in the news section about the Crucial Ballistix Tracers (3x2Gb) 1600Mhz. I also read a few reviews about them and seemed to be very good. However i know about the bad history the tracers have had with reliability. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of the sets that i have in question?

I've seen good overclockability from each of the sets. Just not really sure which set i want to go with. I will be buying next week so would like to know fairly soon.

Thanks
Crooks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,611 Posts
Word up from Wootton Bassett


Anyway, why the Dominators? Whilst they are good, you pay a £20-£30 surplus simply for the look and image of them. I was planning on getting some, but I went for Corsair XMS3 Classics in the end which are cheaper, run at the same speed and no doubt clock the same.

Also, the motherboard memory slots are quite close to the CPU socket (at least on my P6T) and therefore tall profile RAM would conflict with my front CPU fan. Go for something low profile and save some cash
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Crooksy

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
Word up from Wootton Bassett


Anyway, why the Dominators? Whilst they are good, you pay a £20-£30 surplus simply for the look and image of them. I was planning on getting some, but I went for Corsair XMS3 Classics in the end which are cheaper, run at the same speed and no doubt clock the same.

Also, the motherboard memory slots are quite close to the CPU socket (at least on my P6T) and therefore tall profile RAM would conflict with my front CPU fan. Go for something low profile and save some cash

Yeah that's why i started looking at the Crucial RAM. They're low profile, looks great and perform brilliantly from the reviews I have looked at. It's just their past i am worried about. Last thing I want is for the RAM to crap out and not have a PC for a week or two. Also, word up from the city folk
haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanderDylan View Post
I don't trust my Ballstix Tracer that much. I think I would go with Corsair Dominators if I were you. They seem more trust worthy.
I do feel as if they are overpriced and i'm concerned about the tall heatsinks along with my megahalems and 25mm fan. But like you have also suggested. The reliability is questionable.
 

·
Junglist
Joined
·
7,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post
Hi there.

Been looking for RAM for my up can coming i7 build and was quite set on going for the Corsair Dominators (3x2Gb) 1600Mhz. I read a few reviews and got good feedback from the sticks.

However i saw in the news section about the Crucial Ballistix Tracers (3x2Gb) 1600Mhz. I also read a few reviews about them and seemed to be very good. However i know about the bad history the tracers have had with reliability. Does anyone have any first hand experience with either of the sets that i have in question?

I've seen good overclockability from each of the sets. Just not really sure which set i want to go with. I will be buying next week so would like to know fairly soon.

Thanks
Crooks.

Word up from Chard (Alex!
)

I think grab the Tracers, they are either D9GTR or GTS, and clock well, I had a set of the 4GB Ballistix DDR-1333. Get them for the looks basically.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Crooksy

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,611 Posts
This thread is so West Country


Let's just break out the Scrumpy right now.
 

·
Nope
Joined
·
2,203 Posts
If those are the only two brands you can get then I'd go with the Corsair. While they are overpriced they are still top quality ram. If you can try looking for Mushkin ram or G.Skill ram. They are going to cost less than the dominators, but still be the same high quality and overclock just as well if not better. Ram with tall heatsinks you don't have to worry about unless you have a tower cooler that has a 120x38mm fan on it, because unless it does the fan won't be hitting the ram.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swiftes View Post
Word up from Chard (Alex!
)

I think grab the Tracers, they are either D9GTR or GTS, and clock well, I had a set of the 4GB Ballistix DDR-1333. Get them for the looks basically.
From the reviews I have read the Tracers are not only great looking but also have great performance and overclocking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex98uk View Post
This thread is so West Country


Let's just break out the Scrumpy right now.
Haha! I see no harm in doing so. I'll try bring some west country to Southampton in September


Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawk4 View Post
If those are the only two brands you can get then I'd go with the Corsair. While they are overpriced they are still top quality ram. If you can try looking for Mushkin ram or G.Skill ram. They are going to cost less than the dominators, but still be the same high quality and overclock just as well if not better. Ram with tall heatsinks you don't have to worry about unless you have a tower cooler that has a 120x38mm fan on it, because unless it does the fan won't be hitting the ram.
Are you sure about the tall heatsinks and heatsink fans not touching? Is this the case for all RAM, cpu coolers and X58 motherboards?

The site I use only has Corsair RAM which is kind of annoying but i have a selection of a couple other sites and they have most manufacturers from G.Skill, Geil, Crucial, Patriot, OCZ and a few more. Just having a hard time choosing specifics as RAM is not my best subject.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crooksy View Post
Haha! I see no harm in doing so. I'll try bring some west country to Southampton in September

I will have graduated by then
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah well thats a shame isn't it. I'll just have to continue the west country influence!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,634 Posts
I'll add this:

1. The bad reputation associated with Ballistix and Ballistix Tracer was a result of Crucial changing to different DDR2 memory modules. The original double-sided modules were phenomenally good while the later single-sided modules were absolutely trash with a stratospheric failure rate. This does not associate with their DDR3 lineup

2. The heatsinks on the Dominators are actually quite funtional. Off the DDR3 sets I've used I can tell that the Dominators are noticeably cooler to the touch than the standard profile DIMMS under the same work load.

3. If there are clearance issues with heatsinks, the fins can be removed from the Dominators via a few allen screws.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
View Post

I'll add this:

1. The bad reputation associated with Ballistix and Ballistix Tracer was a result of Crucial changing to different DDR2 memory modules. The original double-sided modules were phenomenally good while the later single-sided modules were absolutely trash with a stratospheric failure rate. This does not associate with their DDR3 lineup

2. The heatsinks on the Dominators are actually quite funtional. Off the DDR3 sets I've used I can tell that the Dominators are noticeably cooler to the touch than the standard profile DIMMS under the same work load.

3. If there are clearance issues with heatsinks, the fins can be removed from the Dominators via a few allen screws.

Very helpful information. You have upped my confidence in Crucial

Quote:


Originally Posted by GlockZoR IV
View Post

damn you west country folk, its the midlands where its at
reppin it form the city with the 43rd best police force... out of 43

Haha what are we like. Midlands is okay I guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,415 Posts
I nominate the Ram kit in my sig. It can run 6-7-6-22 1600 with ease, i do really like Mushkin ram. This new RidgeBack kit was just released very recently and its quality is very high. I think it's on par with the Dominator or better (not sure). I'm going to try to run it @ 5-7-6 1552 very soon when i have a chance. Quite busy atm
.
Also it has a tall heatsink but if you know how to modify your cooler, you would still fit it with 38mm. I'm using it in my CM690 II case w/ VenomX and 2x 38mm Gentle Typhoon. The cooler with 2x 38mm fans still fit above the Ram.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,858 Posts
I'm assuming this kit is going to be around the same price range as the other where you live.

Get it. It looks awesome and carries a lifetime warranty. The heatspreaders are short enough to not collide with large heatsinks. The ICs on it are Elpida BBSE and they are crazy good for overclocking. Just Google the kit name or "Elpida BBSE" and you will see how great they really are. Plus they look badass
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Crooksy

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bump! still looking for more info
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,523 Posts
word up from leeds!

I have the corsair dominators 6gb 7-7-7-20 kit, there ***** hot mate, in fact im buying another kit just to totally overkill my comp heh
I think i paid £165 for em maybe 6 month ago.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by $ilent View Post
word up from leeds!

I have the corsair dominators 6gb 7-7-7-20 kit, there ***** hot mate, in fact im buying another kit just to totally overkill my comp heh
I think i paid £165 for em maybe 6 month ago.
haha, hey buddy, how's it going up there! i think I am going to go for the Crucial set now though. they have smaller heatsinks, look great and according to reviews also perform and overclock great.

Plus the dominators are getting mor and more expensive by the week!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,025 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
View Post

I'll add this:

1. The bad reputation associated with Ballistix and Ballistix Tracer was a result of Crucial changing to different DDR2 memory modules. The original double-sided modules were phenomenally good while the later single-sided modules were absolutely trash with a stratospheric failure rate. This does not associate with their DDR3 lineup

Actually, for #1 you have it mixed up and backwards. The first-gen ballistix used D9 chips which are/were amazing at overclocking. However, they had a giant failure rate since they clocked so high which caused crucial to stop using the D9 chips (double sided) and go to the cheaper chips that didn't clock AS well as the D9's but were still stable. Their DDR3 uses D9 chips as well but they are D9GTR which love voltage just like the first D9 chips but are harder to kill.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by kow_ciller
View Post

Actually, for #1 you have it mixed up and backwards. The first-gen ballistix used D9 chips which are/were amazing at overclocking. However, they had a giant failure rate since they clocked so high which caused crucial to stop using the D9 chips (double sided) and go to the cheaper chips that didn't clock AS well as the D9's but were still stable. Their DDR3 uses D9 chips as well but they are D9GTR which love voltage just like the first D9 chips but are harder to kill.

so either way, their DDR3 line up is great. Correct?
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top