Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
No. 32 bit only sees around 3GB RAM. Why would you want to run 32 anyways? Legacy style, there.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Why would you run x86 if you have 6GB of memory? Almost half of that would go to waste! There are a few workarounds with various success, but if you have the option, go for 64-bit!

• Rep+
Reactions: ydna666

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ydna666 View Post
Hi, I can't find anything on this, hope someone can help...

If I had 6GB RAM installed and 2x1GB Graphics cards, could I run a x86 version of Windows 7 as normal with 4GB ram available to the OS?

If not x64 it is

Thanks in advance
No, you would be reduced to 2-2.5 gb of RAM.

There really isn't much of a reason to run 32 bit Windows 7, I would grab 64 bit instead. I know Microsoft used to offer something like a $10 upgrade to 64bit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
you would want x64, for sure. Depending on motherboard. sometimes vram is counted towards total ram, so you would have very little RAM that you could use ... 2GB or so.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
lol, It always funny when someone thinks they know more than you and the facts can be sitting dead in front of them. I get into this kind of stuff with my brother all the time lol.

As others have said, must have 64-bit OS to make use of all that. 32-bit OS only have 4GB worth of addresses that is shared between every bit of memory in the machine and the system memory gets whats left of the addresses. As posted above, you would definitely have < 3GB of memory available to the OS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts