Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Snow!
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is finishing up his basement and has decided to put in a home theater. He has already purchased a 65" Samsung Plasma and Panasonic Blu-ray player but now needs a sound system. He was originally going to buy a soundbar but I've managed to get him to think about a 7.1 system.

Now here is the question, what brands should I be looking at? So far I've been looking at this Onkyo HT-S9400 or its smaller sibling the HT-S5400. The 4 surround speakers will be hanging from a dropped ceiling, so I'm kinda cautious about the speaker size/weight. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated
smile.gif

·
Registered
499 Posts
pioneer or yamaha on sale now for 299 reg 599 for receiver 7.1
logan martin on new egg or something for 199

·
Snow!
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcklub;15347994
pioneer or yamaha on sale now for 299 reg 599 for receiver 7.1
logan martin on new egg or something for 199
Unfortunately Newegg butchers it's Canadian site and doesn't sell any of those brands there.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
I would pick the thx one or get a receiver then speakers
I got this receiver
Onkyo HTRC180
use to have these speakers too
Onkyo sks-ht870 7.1 speakers they worked pretty good. I am upgrading to Polk audio ones. Thanks to the Newegg deals going on

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ONXZx0Y0OY[/ame]

·
Snow!
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jug, so you're pretty happy with the Onkyo brand? Just want to get something for the old man that'll last a long long time with out breaking the bank.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Silver;15348200
Thanks Jug, so you're pretty happy with the Onkyo brand? Just want to get something for the old man that'll last a long long time with out breaking the bank.
yep, they have been making a name for themselves for sometime now

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I certainly don't recommend a cheap htib :/ How large is the room, and how much is he willing to spend?

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorb;15348248
I certainly don't recommend a cheap htib :/ How large is the room, and how much is he willing to spend?
htib are fine I mean you can get a decent on for like 300. I was actually was going to get
Onkyo HT-S9400 at one point

·
OG AMD
8,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo23451;15348208
yep, they have been making a name for themselves for sometime now
Agreed. Pretty much hear nothing but great things about Onkyo.

·
Snow!
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorb;15348248
Room is a section of the basement, a little under 14' by 16'. 3 walls (left side is open). The limit he set was 2000$, so the HT-S9400THX @1299$ is well with-in his range which was nice. I figure I'd try to keep it simple with a htib, but I may have to purchase longer wires for the size of the room.

*edit* Added bonus was that Ncix sells it too.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Silver;15348291
Room is a section of the basement, a little under 14' by 16'. 3 walls (left side is open). The limit he set was 2000$, so the HT-S9400THX @1299$ is well with-in his range which was nice. I figure I'd try to keep it simple with a htib, but I may have to purchase longer wires for the size of the room.
yeah its fine. I would definitely recommend in getting bigger gauge wire. The wires that come with them are really tiny. I would get 18 gauge wire.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Get a good 7.1 channel receiver, and find better speakers, perhaps towers for the front even, and a good subwoofer. 7.1 is easily doable with a $2000 budget, for much better than you'll find in a HTIB.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Being that you are in canada, I'm not sure what all is available. Sonicboomaudio carries SVS products, so I'd definitely take a look at them. I know HSU is willing to ship to canada, but I don't know how much shipping or duties would be.

Take a look at the SBS-02 systems at sonicboomaudio.com or the enthusiast systems at hsuresearch.com...and get a decent midrange avr.

·
Snow!
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies! Though I'll be leaning towards Onkyo htib for simplicity sake I'll take a look at building a system. He's trying to get the basement done by Superbowl, so I have some time XD

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Silver;15348431
Thanks for all the quick replies! Though I'll be leaning towards Onkyo htib for simplicity sake I'll take a look at building a system. He's trying to get the basement done by Superbowl, so I have some time XD
HTIB, you'll never get very good speakers or subwoofers with them usually.

I also believe Parts Express ships worldwide, you pay shipping. So shipping from P-E might not be too terribly bad. Find a good receiver somewhere, and get the speakers from P-E. The BIC Venturi lineup is supposed to be a great budget home theater speaker.

·
Registered
882 Posts
My advice? For 2gs start with an Onkyo 609 and some 14awg wires from Monoprice. Throw out 7.1 and go with high quality 5.1. You can get some nice floor standing speakers. Get an eBay sub, mines a PA-120 and awesome. There's a ton of info out there about these subs.

Onkyo 609 $400
PA-120 $250
L/R Floorstanding $600-800
Center $150-200
L/R Rear $150-200
Wires $20

Something like that. You can add two more speakers later on or grab some cheapy ones if you're under budget.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Definitely budget more of your money to speakers rather than the receiver. You can't make a bad speaker sound good no matter how nice the amp is. A $500 receiver pushing $1500 speakers is going to sound twice as good as a $1500 receiver pushing $500 speakers.

·
Snow!
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo23451;15349049
I found an interesting link about speaker wire,gauge, and etc
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
Nice link! I try to tell my parents this all the time, no need to spend a fortune on wires for A/V. I bought a 15' lenght of HDMI cable from NCIX for 6 bucks on sale and it does 1080p from a laptop no problem. Then my dad goes and spends 40$ for 6'
mad.gif

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I would also recommend going to avsforum or hometheatershack or audioholics and seeing what their canadian members recommend for $2000, since they'll be more familiar with what's available than most of us here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts