Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up my office with a 7.1 system. The system includes 5 full size speakers 2 small speakers and obviously a sub.

I will be sitting at my pc with the center speaker above the monitor, FL/FR speakers 1 foot away from me on the desk. SL/SR speakers about 6-8 ft on the walls on either side of the office, and RL/RR speakers about 15 feet behind me.

Heres the question: The RL/RR speakers are supposed to be the small ones, yet these speakers are about half as loud as the other 5. The FR/FL/C speakers dominate the sound and I can barely hear the rear speakers.

Would it make sense to use the 2 large FL FR speakers in the rear (since they are so far away) and use the 2 smaller speakers on the desk (since they are right in my face) or would it be better to just turn the volume on the front speakers way down and the volume on the small rear ones way up?

Advice please?

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
No, that's the way it's supposed to be.

The rear speakers just reproduce what would be "reflections" in the sounce sounds.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Rears are for ambiance or panning. You aren't supposed to hear them at all unless the scene calls for them.

And most people end up sitting closer to the rears than the fronts. I've never heard of 1 feet away from the fronts and 8 feet from the rears. You should move your desk back and put those speakers on stands.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts