Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overclocking an E5200 on a budget G31 board. The only CPU voltage options are normal, +10%, +25%, and +35%. With +10%, the voltage idles at 1.39v according to CPU-Z and loads at 1.344v. I'm currently at 3.4GHz and hoping for 3.6Ghz, but I'm wondering if you guys think the temps are too high. It's being cooled by a Xigmatek HDT-S963. It's loading at 70*C during an Orthos small FFT, 62*C during a blend test.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Nothing that will damage your CPU, but you should get some better cooling.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Its not hot enough to hurt anything, but, for oc'ing you should try to keep it doen a little bit.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm, well backing the overclock down will only shave off a degree or two, so I'm pretty much stuck with these temps or changing the voltage setting from +10% to the "normal" setting, which will run it at around 1.27v. Doubt I'd get much of an overclock with those volts

·
Registered
359 Posts
If it's at 70'C whie running prime or orthos then it's fine.. No real world app is gonna stress it that badly...

I say you're fine, take it to 3.6Ghz, just stay below 75'C while stress testing!

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No vdroop options. This board doesn't even have a CPU multiplier option. I have disabled C1E.

The heat is coming from the voltage, changing the frequency only causes it to change a degree or two. So my options are either leave it at default volts (~1.27v) and see what I can get with very safe temps, or set it to +10% and enjoy a max overclock. There just aren't any inbetween options. The idea of ditching the overclock altogether saddens me, so I was hoping that others would agree that 70*C, though kinda pushing it, is still acceptable. And like keenan said, the CPU isn't going to be stressed from apps like the Small FFT test in every day use.

So given my limited options, what would you do? Accept the temps or see what you can get on default voltage?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kow_ciller
View Post

Should be fine if you push it more. My chip can get up to 80*C using core damage, but doesn't come anywhere close to that during normal use.

I agree:

I load at 95C on IntelBurn, 70C on Prime95 Small FFTs, and 60C in games.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, turns out this board refuses to load Windows at a FSB higher than 275MHz. So even though the chip can go well beyond 3.4GHz, it won't be doing that on this board. So I've put the voltage back to default, and it idles at 1.27v and loads at 1.25v with small FFT loads at a mere 53*C. So far the chip appears to be stable at 3.125GHz and is begging for more
Let's see what this little chip can do on sub-stock volts!

Thanks for the opinions guys!

EDIT: Well, it's passed 50 minutes of Orthos small FFT test at 3.4GHz and sub-stock volts. VID is 1.28v, yet its loading at 1.25v and going strong! Although the chip can take a lot more, the board is at its limit so I'm leaving it here and letting the stress test run overnight. It's making me sad that this chip is being wasted in a budget build yet happy that I don't need to give it the full 1.39v and 70*C load temps to get the most I can from this board.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts