Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some know by now, my show BMW 518i has been stolen recently. So now I bought a 1970 VW 411L Automatic, with the intention of restoring it to show condition.

Details:
  • 3 Speed auto gearbox, sometimes won't go from neutral to drive, but always goes from 2nd to drive
  • 1679cc (?) flat-4 engine, aircooled, single Weber carb. According to papers I found in the car, the engine's been replaced in '85. - Might be a 2.0 that's been upsized to 2.3, the roadworthy certificate states 2300cc and 64kW
  • Light blue paint, same as the BMW, and lots of overspray.

Things to do (the list will be updated as needed):
  • Rust repair behind FL wheel
  • Remove overspray, respray FR fender due to bubbling paint
  • Cover dash with synthetic leather - Got a quote, but I don't want to pull the dash out at the moment.
  • Repair seats, if possible with original upholstery - Looking for the original design.
  • Fix speedometer - Cable snapped inside the speedometer, so I need to get the tip out before a new cable can go in. Will be using a GPS in the meantime.
  • Install custom killswitch(es), to prevent another theft
  • Fix poorly panelbeated RL door - Not perfecct, but as close as it'll get without putty
  • Replace blown lights, and fix wiring where needed (almost done)
  • Fix vaccuum leaks - Done again, hopefullly the last time
  • Suspension work - I'll have to replace the shocks, but I've been told that they're discontinued
  • Adjust/replace the gear lever cable - Gears don't align with the lever positions
  • Diagnose and fix intermittant dead cylinder, and what appeared to be a sticking valve (backfire through carb, might be related)
  • Minor accident repair - Scratches are buffed out, and the beading is back on, so only the dent remains.
  • Replace snapped throttle cable - Currently ghetto-rigged with a piece of binding wire and a clamp

I'll try to post some pictures today.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reserved for pictures.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
You might want to also see if you can find some original chrome mirrors.

Also the exhaust doesn't seem like it fits?

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mirrors on the car are attached with screws to the door, that one is attached differently. So I'm not sure it it'll be a viable option.

I also noticed the exhaust, I'm not sure what's going on there.

I'm also going to post this in the main car thread, but how am I supposed to top up the oil in this car? According to the manual the dipstick and fill cap should be to the right of the cooling intake, but there's nothing there, and the dipstick is near the carb (as mentioned the engine's been replaced).

Also, the handbrake doesn't stay up, but it does brake the car. Ideas?

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKuhn View Post

The mirrors on the car are attached with screws to the door, that one is attached differently. So I'm not sure it it'll be a viable option.

I also noticed the exhaust, I'm not sure what's going on there.

I'm also going to post this in the main car thread, but how am I supposed to top up the oil in this car? According to the manual the dipstick and fill cap should be to the right of the cooling intake, but there's nothing there, and the dipstick is near the carb (as mentioned the engine's been replaced).

Also, the handbrake doesn't stay up, but it does brake the car. Ideas?
The ratchet mechanism is probably worn smooth (those crocodile teeth) in the handbrake somewhere. You'll have to replace them/it.

Or maybe even the tooth that grabs it might have worn smooth too, just you'll have to disassemble it and see.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just saw that it still grabs if I push the button in and pull it up very high (it also needs to be adjusted, so that's also where the handbrake becomes effective). I'll look into the problem, but the car seemingly has a very low mileage. It shows somewhere over 40k km (yes it stil works), and from what I could see it hasn't rolled over yet.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
Sounds like it got rolled back tbh

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post

Sounds like it got rolled back tbh
^

That does not look like a car that has done 40K km. Not even driving it at the limit everywhere. It looks like it has done closer to 250K km than 40K.

Can you post a picture of the pedals? That will really help with guessing how many km it has done.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
The handbrake not holding still could also be a broken/loose ratchet pin spring (or whichever mechanism it uses to hold the ratchet in place), which I wouldn't be so surprised about considering the car is some 40 years old.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

^

That does not look like a car that has done 40K km. Not even driving it at the limit everywhere. It looks like it has done closer to 250K km than 40K.

Can you post a picture of the pedals? That will really help with guessing how many km it has done.
I'll do that when I can.

I'm aware the car is not in great shape, but I assumed it's mainly due to age, lack of use and probably standing in the sun at some point in its life. And I've seen how quickly the wrong person can wear out the foam in a seat (meaning less than a year).

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
You might want to get the seats re-covered. 40 year old leather will just feel like plastic now. Heck, 10 year old leather does.

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Good quality leather renewer will be good enough. My LS400s leather still feels new.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd prefer to keep the original opholstery. The only issue is that the seats are torn between those strips (not very clear, but somewhat visible from the picture I posted). So I thought of having it patched from the inside, with new foam.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pictures of the pedals:

I'm not an expert at pedal wear, but looking at them I'm also fairly certain that it's not 41k km.

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
They look like the original pedals and they don't look that worn. I'm guessing it actually has around 150-170K km.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

They look like the original pedals and they don't look that worn. I'm guessing it actually has around 150-170K km.
Whats the bet that it was 141 xxx km - and then got rolled back to 041 xxxx km.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex132 View Post

Whats the bet that it was 141 xxx km - and then got rolled back to 041 xxxx km.
I also thought of that possibility.

Also, paint restoration, part 1:

That was just a quick test with rubbing compound and an old rag. And no, washing the car won't help. That dirt is too old (I already tried).

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,395 Posts
I'd highly suggest claybaring, polishing and waxing it too.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts