Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats all i have to spend to build a complete setup cause im really bored
anyway i want to see if somebody can price me out a decent setup able to run BF2 and some other games. i need everything except soundcard and speakers thanks guys

my preferred online store is newegg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
if you need everything, including a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and all those small goodies, you aren't going to be able to get much for that price...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Hmm, I'll make you a quick-list since I have to go sleep soon..
Opteron 144 S939-170$
PCI-E X800GTO2(Flash it into an X850XT)-180$
DFI Lan-Party-125$
Corsair XMS RAM (1GB)-100$
HDD Seagate 250GB-70$
ASPIRE 500W Power Supply-30$! [email protected]+Rail.
Total=675$ Leaves extra money for other things like a screen or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Great system, i would suggest stepping up to a 3700+ for about $30, and spending maybe another $50 on a stronger power supply. But, that will take any of today's games and run bf2 flawlessly. However, AMD's am2 technology is coming out soon, if i were you, i'd probably wait a bit to see if it's worth spending nearly $1000 on a S939 system right now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,206 Posts
I wouldn't get the X800GTO or GTO2. Sure, they're flashable, but they don't support SM3.0. I would reccomend a 6800GS for $20 more. As for CPU, you could drop to a 3200+ and OC that a little more.

EDIT: You could also jump to a 7800GT, along with an extra gig of RAM. That'll bring you to about $850, but it will give you very nice performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
like how much? i kinda need to see how much im going to have to save if i get one. i read that that the mobos arent going to be much more maybe like 10-20
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by aajvs99

like how much? i kinda need to see how much im going to have to save if i get one. i read that that the mobos arent going to be much more maybe like 10-20

I'm not exactly sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
Dont jump on the bandwagon.

AM2 is just a new Socket, it would be riduclious to make a WHOLE NEW set of CPU's just for the new socket.

Stick with 939, it is STILL future proof!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so NOS ur saying that i should just get a 939? arent the AM2's supposed to be a big improvement?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
AM2 is just a new socket, Most AM2 CPU's are just going to be the same Skt939 CPU's

Look what intel did, they made LGA 775, but same CPU's

It is just not woth the time/money

Stay with Socket 939

PS: Socket 939 to Socket AM2 is like Agp4x > Agp 8x it looks good but no preformance diffrances
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks i really want to no what gfx card i can get for the least amount of money but still be able to play BF2 at full levels

Anybody seen a good cheap monitor with DVI?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sry for the double but i just made this up real quick lemme no what u think:

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $98.00
DFI LanParty UT RDX200 Cross-Fire Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire AMD Motherboard - Retail $166.00
MSI NX7800GT-VT2D256E Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card $294.00
3x OCZ Premier Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) $139.32
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model $169.00
Subtotal: $866.32
Shipped: 901.17
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont want to risk it i mean sure you guys say its safe but i dont like bad hardware i get really ticked off when my hardware dies
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
891 Posts
the way he's says it though it's making it sound like the company advertises it, which might mean it's covered in their warranty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by NOS---

AM2 is just a new socket, Most AM2 CPU's are just going to be the same Skt939 CPU's

Look what intel did, they made LGA 775, but same CPU's

It is just not woth the time/money

Stay with Socket 939

PS: Socket 939 to Socket AM2 is like Agp4x > Agp 8x it looks good but no preformance diffrances

Where are you getting this information from? Even if amd didn't utilize the socket for their 65nm technology they are still going to use ddr2 ram. You don't think that a stock 333mhz htt is going to be a huge improvement in system performance? Imagine what you'll get when you overclock....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aight anybody have another comment on my setup? the video card is what i want so dont change that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,994 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by aajvs99

sry for the double but i just made this up real quick lemme no what u think:

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JD 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $98.00
DFI LanParty UT RDX200 Cross-Fire Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire AMD Motherboard - Retail $166.00
MSI NX7800GT-VT2D256E Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card $294.00
3x OCZ Premier Series 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) $139.32
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model $169.00
Subtotal: $866.32
Shipped: 901.17

Why get a CrossFire mobo when you picked a 7800GT? Just change that to an Ultra-D.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top