Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have an additional 700.00 allotted to my upgrade budget. What should I do?

I do not need a new case, nor do I need another GPU (not a fan of Quad setups), my watercooling is far more than adequate. So, what should i upgrade. My ideas:

1. Sell my e5420's for 500 (already have an offer from someone in canada) and use that towards 2 x QX9775 (I can get 2 for 1295, so it will cost me 95 extra to get them)

2. Buy an i7 rig and use my Skulltrail as a server.

3. ??????

Any suggestions?

Update: upgraded to X5470's.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelConvert View Post
whats teh total budget? if have enough, u can get a nice i7, if u dont have that much then why upgrade?

i wouldnt go to anything but an i7, skull trail is nice, but there arent a lot of comparisons to it and the i7s cause most people dont have one. i would go for the new slot so u can upgrade to new CPUs that are to be released within a year.
What? I am keeping my skulltrail regardless of the option chosen. My question is what would be the best route, upgrade my skulltrail with QX9775's or get an i7 rig as another PC.

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
Buy a single 4870 1GB... Cause you said you are not a fan of quad crossfire, but that would be 3way... Just remember to get the 1GB version and not the 512mb one

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post
Buy a single 4870 1GB... Cause you said you are not a fan of quad crossfire, but that would be 3way... Just remember to get the 1GB version and not the 512mb one
I have owned that card already and i did not care for the performance increase I saw going from an x2 to the 3-way.

·
PC Evangelist
47,787 Posts
I would build a Core i7 build.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Imo, #1

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx View Post

I have heard pretty good things about this actually. Also, I would go option 1, price is right.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, you guys think that 2 x QX9775 would outperform this:

Asus P6t Deluxe (299)
i7 920 (288)
OCZ Flex 6GB (115 AR)

So a total of $703.....

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmansueto View Post
So, you guys think that 2 x QX9775 would outperform this:

Asus P6t Deluxe (299)
i7 920 (288)
OCZ Flex 6GB (115 AR)

So a total of $703.....
Not sure if it would beat it, i7 920 will be clocking higher at better performance per clock and with HT enabled my sig rig is insanely fast at multi-tasking , heavy workloads , dvd ripping & media encoding, my baseline are the Dell 2950's dual quads with raid SAs... my si gir def outperfoms them in many many many places.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gablain View Post
damn you a lucky guy.... I say keep your setup, and make a trip to zimbabwe or something with the money
with $700.00? I already am going to Xian, China in a few months.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinnuke
View Post

Keep the money. Sell the e's. Wait a few months until the next generation of stuff comes out.

Yea, hold off for gulftown (Westmere Family) or sandybridge.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinnuke
View Post

Keep the money. Sell the e's. Wait a few months until the next generation of stuff comes out.

I can't do that, if I sell them I have no CPU's for the Skulltrail. Besides the next generation will not work with Skulltrail, so no point in waiting for the next CPU cycle. So my options are upgrade Skulltrail to a newer 771 socket CPU or invest in i7.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
it all boils down to what YOU want to do, u might have that gut feeling of what u want to do way back in ur mind, but ur confused by it.

just do the one that makes more sense and will perform all the tasks you want

i would still go with the QX9770's

1 - 20 of 64 Posts