·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
Is more than enough

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Yep, easily.

The cards by themselves pull less than 150W by themselves whilst at stock clocks, and probaby around 180W overclocked, depending on voltage and clock speeds.

I'm actually going to be getting another HD5850 at some point, on my 650W power supply, so that should give you an indicator of how much headroom you have with the 750W.

Enjoy the cards, they'll be beastly in CrossFire!

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1097/12/

Yep, less than 500W for stock 5850s with an i7 975 -- a very high-end rig.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by veba View Post
Is a Corsair HX750W PSU enough to power 2 5850's in CrossfireX aswell as 4 HDD and an optical drive and all the other needed stuff in a computer?
Easily.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 System Requirements

Quote:
PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
Minimum 1GB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required
Yes, and even the 650W PSU in your SIG will be just fine!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Oh ya just notice u have the TX650 in ur sig rig. U don't even need to change to the HX750, just use ur current one and still plenty of room to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
ATI Radeon™ HD 5870 System Requirements

Yes, and even the 650W PSU in your SIG will be just fine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocnewb View Post
Oh ya just notice u have the TX650 in ur sig rig. U don't even need to change to the HX750, just use ur current one and still plenty of room to go.

Yeah but my Current PSU only have 2 PCI-E connectors

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by veba
View Post

U can always get the molex to PCIe cables, and that cable comes with almost every new Cards.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocnewb View Post
U can always get the molex to PCIe cables, and that cable comes with almost every new Cards.
I don't really like to rely on those cables since I've heard their not very high quality, so, better safe then sorry

But from what your saying will even my current PSU power 2 5850? So if i get the Corsair HX650W instead of the 750W will it be enough to power the 2 5850s? OR should i get the 750W version, again, better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just read on XFX' website that they recommend a 600W powersupply if you are to run the 5850s in CrossfireX, so I'll be getting the 650W rather then the 750W then.
If someone means i should get the 750W please tell me fast so i won't have to return the PSU and buy a new one!!!!

*EDIT* I just remembered that I've watched a lot of video-reviews from ComputerTV on video-card and he always say that you don't need as much wattage as the videocard companies say you need if you PSU is high quality. I'm buying a Corsair, which he always mention when talking about when he talk about power requirments. Corsair has very high quality PSUs and thats why I'm getting one. and they state, as i've said, on the videocards website that you only need a 600W PSU to run 2 5850s.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom View Post
One 5850 max can go around 150w.
That's at stock though.... these things overclock like mad so what is the max max? (I'll try to get some numbers tonight with a Kill-a-Watt).

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quote:

I don't really like to rely on those cables since I've heard their not very high quality, so, better safe then sorry

But from what your saying will even my current PSU power 2 5850? So if i get the Corsair HX650W instead of the 750W will it be enough to power the 2 5850s? OR should i get the 750W version, again, better safe then sorry.
I am using the 750W and it is PLENTY. If you can get it go for it

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Just read on XFX' website that they recommend a 600W powersupply if you are to run the 5850s in CrossfireX, so I'll be getting the 650W rather then the 750W then.
If someone means i should get the 750W please tell me fast so i won't have to return the PSU and buy a new one!!!!
Get the Antec TruePower New 750W instead. It's a great PSU, much better than the HX650 from Corsair, but not quite as good as the HX750.

Also, it's much, much cheaper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
That's at stock though.... these things overclock like mad so what is the max max? (I'll try to get some numbers tonight with a Kill-a-Watt).
It'll depend on clock speed, and voltage, obviously.

My estimates of a fairly average overclock (1000MHz on the core, 1300MHz on the memory with 1.3V) are 185W.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.